Cowboys interested in Kyle Boller

Wrangler87

Reaction score
I think we end up with Boller or Grossman.

Losman is kind of piss poor.

Carr's style would fit, but I think he is still shell shocked from Houston, though he looked good with the Giants.

Rumor has it that the Bears might be looking at Simms to compete for the starters job in Chicago. He'd take that over us.

Leftwich and his Christmas slow release is also said to be looking for starter opportunities.

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
People who's putting down Boller, Grossman, or Lousman, guess what? he's a better back-up than Brad Johnson and Bollinger...

Kangaroo

Reaction score
TLCC;2655959 said:
You know the one thing he's been consistent whether he's a starter or a backup he'll complete about 55-60 % of his passes with a 70% QB rating whether he's a backup or a starter. His completion % has improved every year; 51.8, 55.6, 58.4, 60.0, 61.1. His last three years, that he played, QB Ratings; 71.8, 104, 75.2.

The thing about backup QB is that it takes a different mentality to be a backup QB than a starter. You have to be able to help the starting QB evaluate defenses and lend advice to him when you aren't on the field. That's why Brad Johnson was kept on the roster this year. With that being said he still has to be able to play effective if he plays and I believe that Boller can play well enough not to lose the Cowboys games. I think he's the more ready to be backup than Grossman.

Ding Ding we have a winner he can manage a game for us which is what you want from a backup he can make all the throws in this offense and if we add a young 3rd qb we can groom later on

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
theebs;2655962 said:
uh huh

I bet jerry had alot to do with romo coming here and staying here.

You know, signing drew henson and giving up a 2 for him, and you know bill having to play romo extended time in the preseason to prove to jerry that he could play.

So yeah, I see your point, Jerry had alot to do with romo..

and Aikman was coming here regardless. Mike Rhyner was talking about this yesterday, Tex Schramm was in love with him, so Aikman was coming here regardless.

and As jimmy told Hansen in the interview I posted this morning, It was in Jimmys contract, He was the GM and had complete control of the organization, hiring coaches, scouts, trainers and complete say on personnel.

So yes. When Bill and jimmy were here, Jerry Picks great qb's. good point.
How dare you not give Jerry Jones credit for the decisions Jimmy Johnson made, and yet blame him for the decisions he made himself. It's an outrage.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
RealCowboyfan;2656120 said:
People who's putting down Boller, Grossman, or Lousman, guess what? he's a better back-up than Brad Johnson and Bollinger...
Exactly right. People bash those guys, but the reality is, there are no good QBs to be had.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First of for people ragging about what backup comes here. They are coming here as a BACKUP not a starter. I know that sounds like a DUH statement but I have to wonder with some of the comments. You are not going to get a quality starter to come here to play backup and the cowboys are not going to pay a backup starter money. So no matter who you bring in there are going to be warts and hence the reason they are a backup and not a starter. I really think some need to figure that idea out.

Secondly...how the heck did talking about bringing in a backup QB turn into an idiotic jerry wankfest argument?

Geez

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;2656152 said:
First of for people ragging about what backup comes here. They are coming here as a BACKUP not a starter. I know that sounds like a DUH statement but I have to wonder with some of the comments. You are not going to get a quality starter to come here to play backup and the cowboys are not going to pay a backup starter money. So no matter who you bring in there are going to be warts and hence the reason they are a backup and not a starter. I really think some need to figure that idea out.

Secondly...how the heck did talking about bringing in a backup QB turn into an idiotic jerry wankfest argument?

Geez

its kind of like when you chime into a thread for no reason other than to say someone sucks right? Ring a bell?

TDHND

Reaction score
Kinda gotta settle for someone like him if we can't get someone in trade,so I'm ok with it I guess.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Doesn't matter to me. Can we really expect to get the kind of backup we all want when we're picking from other teams' cast-off starters? I mean, if they were good enough to be relied upon to lead teams to victories, they'd still be doing that.

Best bet is to get whoever we can from among these guys for the short term, knowing that the ship likely goes down if they have to play for an extended period, then draft someone we can groom to hopefully actually be worthy of stepping in if necessary.

Maybe we get lucky and chance into a player who only needed a change of venue, but we should only realistically view whoever we get as a stopgap and work toward developing a longer-term solution.

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
I would much rather have Grossman myself. I haven't checked the numbers of either, but he's always "looked" more like a semi-quality QB (on occasion) than Boller. Boller always seemed real Hutchinson-esque to me; good measurables but almost robotic.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
EPL0c0;2656039 said:
When talking about the future of the QB spot in Dallas...I just have 2 words: Trevor Vittatoe.

You say Vit-tay-to
I say Vit-tah-to
Let's call the whole thing off...

FWIW, you mis-spelled "Colt McCoy"... :D

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;2656152 said:

Geez

I think the Brad Johnson fiasco is going to place a large magnifying glass on the search for his replacement.

I mean, most of us here, from what I remember, were fairly negative toward the Johnson signing. Figured he was washed up, too old, but maybe, just maybe, would provide a good veteran ear/eye for a young Romo. In the end we just shook it off and didn't worry much about it.

And look where it got us.

This is without a doubt a critical search. No one expects Johnny Unitas, but at least someone that can complete a forward pass for a few games.

My negativity toward Boller is I've never really seen him do "well." He seems like a guy that's still living on potential, or ridiculed for failure (either or). Grossman, on the other hand, at least has a track record of being able to get hot.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
I dont want Boller. Give me Fitzpatrick instead. Even with all the chaos in Cincy, he still played decently.

MONT17

Reaction score
theogt;2655932 said:
You have to hand it to Garrett, he has an eye for QB talent. I can't wait for the day he's head coach and we have to find a replacement for Tony.

:abuseme:

Romo will play forever

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Rather have Sexy Rexy... But Boller is an instant upgrade...

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
mldardy;2655957 said:
Who else do you want? We're talking about a backup QB here.

We could certainly do better. But look at the options.

Losman? Strange attitude and erratic. Grossman? We think Romo is a turnover maniac? I don't think he's seen triple coverage he didn't like. Simms?

They all have warts. Big fat ones.

Just pick a frog and move on. Draft a QB in April. Keep your fingers crossed.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Besides Brown and Scott, the Ravens' other free agents are: linebacker Ray Lewis; kicker Matt Stover; cornerbacks Chris McAlister and Corey Ivy; safety Jim Leonhard; fullback Lorenzo Neal; quarterbacks Kyle Boller and Todd Bouman; wide receiver Terrance Copper; offensive tackle Chad Slaughter; and tight end Daniel Wilcox. Boller is scheduled to visit the Dallas Cowboys, where he could become Tony Romo's backup.

hockix

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;2656152 said:

Geez

Agree, we won't pay for another starter so just let's get one with some experience and please draft one we can develop, we have 11 this year so that's possible.

hockix

Reaction score
dbair1967;2656671 said:
Besides Brown and Scott, the Ravens' other free agents are: linebacker Ray Lewis; kicker Matt Stover; cornerbacks Chris McAlister and Corey Ivy; safety Jim Leonhard; fullback Lorenzo Neal; quarterbacks Kyle Boller and Todd Bouman; wide receiver Terrance Copper; offensive tackle Chad Slaughter; and tight end Daniel Wilcox. Boller is scheduled to visit the Dallas Cowboys, where he could become Tony Romo's backup.

I would not want him as a starter but as a backup... he is fine.
Much better than BJ.