Cowboys (McCarthy) 2 scoring offense, Chargers (Moore) 8 scoring offense

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Andy Reid is a classic WCO guy going back 35 years. The short passing game is a supplement to their running game. The Chiefs' leading receiver is a tight end who they have targeted 30 more times than the next guy. Even still they have more rushing yards this season than the Cowboys do. They have a better ypc average and have 6 more first downs on the ground than the Cowboys. More yards on fewer carries. Somebody is calling running plays over there. Apparently more of theirs work.
This is almost entirely wrong. The Chiefs run game is a product of their passing game - Mahomes has run for over 200 yards but most of that is on passing plays. They aren't making any concerted effort to run the ball and RBs are averaging less than 4 ypc. Cowboys RBs have far more attempts.

The Chiefs' offense is also mostly bad right now, so the idea that running the ball has been a good thing for them is misguided.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Even if you assume no other team has defensive TDs or a safety, we'd be ranked 12th by taking out those 37 points

Not great but above average
Evaluating the Cowboy's offensive scoring is misguided anyways because they've stopped trying to score for 4 halves in blowouts.

Momanpr100

Reaction score
I’m not sure 3 more minutes in TOP matters more for the defense than playing from a lead.
3 more minutes in actuality is like 10 more minutes with all the breaks and sstuff. So yea it is a big difference.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Not sure how the team results are all attributed to KM. The defense & special teams aren't his responsibility. That offense is starting to click & as they get guys back & youngun's get experience, it could get scary good.

I think KM does have some flaws but there should be little doubt that there is some method to his madness.

Dakota

Reaction score
Well the power rankings are out and there is reason to be excited, I found one that had us ranked as high as 5th. For the most part we were 7th or 8th which is still very good. I was hoping to find one that didn't have the eagles at #1. I know how much that would upset the low life eagles fans around here.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Not sure how the team results are all attributed to KM. The defense & special teams aren't his responsibility. That offense is starting to click & as they get guys back & youngun's get experience, it could get scary good.

I think KM does have some flaws but there should be little doubt that there is some method to his madness.
If I were the Boys, I'd just spend a lot of practice time on perfecting scripted opening offensive drives. LOL Seems like once we get a 2 score lead, defense can do its thing, special teams catches the momentum, and before you know it, game is out of hand.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Ok you tell me what it is then.
Or maybe my definition is wrong but to me complimentary football is when you rely on all 3 phases of the game. In regards to the Chiefs, yes they are a great offensive team but they are capable of winning even when the offense doesn’t put forth its best effort. Eagles for what it’s worth outplayed the Chiefs and still lost in the SB.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
If I were the Boys, I'd just spend a lot of practice time on perfecting scripted opening offensive drives. LOL Seems like once we get a 2 score lead, defense can do its thing, special teams catches the momentum, and before you know it, game is out of hand.
I was just happy they looked like they had practiced at all last week!! Well at least after the first 4 or 5 plays.

Nothing wrong with being so good at running a certain set of plays that other teams struggle to stop.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Or maybe my definition is wrong but to me complimentary football is when you rely on all 3 phases of the game. In regards to the Chiefs, yes they are a great offensive team but they are capable of winning even when the offense doesn’t put forth its best effort. Eagles for what it’s worth outplayed the Chiefs and still lost in the SB.
Ok so you don't have a definition. You're just saying "be good in all three phases." Yea, no kidding. That's what good teams do.

But that's not what "complimentary football" is, not in the way we are discussing it. By this logic, there is nothing wrong with the way KM approaches the game.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Mikes offense was terrible for 6 straight games. This last game looked a lot more like the offense dak ran under KM. Mind you the 1st TD drive against the rams was 10 plays with only 1 run. That is not what Mike had intended and so we know he scrapped his original plan cause it was terrible for 6 straight games. Hopefully the offense vs the rams is one we see going forward.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I was just happy they looked like they had practiced at all last week!! Well at least after the first 4 or 5 plays.

Nothing wrong with being so good at running a certain set of plays that other teams struggle to stop.
I am encouraged by some of the opening drives this year. Doesn't feel like that was a trademark of the Kellen years which were start slow then gunsling in the 2nd half. I'm kidding when I say script offense opening drives like hell, but serious -- This team is built for leads! Everyone posts all the pass rush stats - we are lethal if we know you have no choice but to pass. Even coaches that don't panic and still run, like McVay did a little bit last Sunday, they still end up throwing more. And it never fails, once the Defense gets a turnover this year, ST seems to join right in. Just figure out how to capture that magic in a bottle every game. Good luck making it work against the Eagles.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Ok so you don't have a definition. You're just saying "be good in all three phases." Yea, no kidding. That's what good teams do.

But that's not what "complimentary football" is, not in the way we are discussing it. By this logic, there is nothing wrong with the way KM approaches the game.
That’s not what I said. I said complimentary football is when you “rely” on all three phases of the game to win. Regardless of what the “definition” is you said it was “stupid” and the only defense you had for it being “stupid” is bringing up a Chiefs team with the greatest QB we’ve seen in 20 years lol.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
yeah, to me complimentary football is not taking ridiculous risks that put another part of your team in a very difficult situation. ie, don't go for it on 4th & 5 from your own 35 when you have every reason to believe you can punt & have the opponent starting inside their 20. Or have your D focus on not giving up chunk plays. Maybe the opponent will move the ball but force them to execute, sustain a drive, avoid penalties. When the field shrinks you can become more aggressive.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Mikes offense was terrible for 6 straight games. This last game looked a lot more like the offense dak ran under KM. Mind you the 1st TD drive against the rams was 10 plays with only 1 run. That is not what Mike had intended and so we know he scrapped his original plan cause it was terrible for 6 straight games. Hopefully the offense vs the rams is one we see going forward.
I don’t think it was terrible I think it lacked red zone efficiency. But I don’t think it’s sustainable. You at some point have to stretch the field especially if your run game is providing nothing.

blueblood70

Reaction score
If I was the Cowboys defense I'd do the same they have the worst opening drives ever and it's starting to bleed into the opening drives in the second-half as well... It seems like they're worse when they're the most rested I I don't get it like they're literally giving up too many easy drives I know that's off target and off topic here but if we're gonna give the defense all these flowers we need to make sure that they get their thorns as well... This is a boom or bust defense let's keep that straight this is not the defense I think Mike McCarthy was building that offense for I mean it at times can be that defense but where was it in Arizona where was it against San Francisco I mean even at times it got a little weird and and the Rams game I mean they literally the momentum started shifting even though we had such a big lead it didn't matter they let the Rams just walked him down the field three times pretty easily..

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
That’s not what I said. I said complimentary football is when you “rely” on all three phases of the game to win. Regardless of what the “definition” is you said it was “stupid” and the only defense you had for it being “stupid” is bringing up a Chiefs team with the greatest QB we’ve seen in 20 years lol.
Yes, you rely on being good in all 3 phases. That's every team in the history of football. There's nothing complimentary about that. Those three units can all act independent of each other and do that. I only referenced the Chiefs because you brought up teams that win Super Bowls and they've done it more than anyone recently.

Complimentary means that the units play off of each other. And the way we are talking about it here, means the offense being conservative to put the defense in better position. That is stupid.