Cowboys need to resign Dak before Baker and Josh Allen reset the market

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The inflating salaries of these athletes is like a giant bubble.
It will burst someday.
Ticket prices are already unaffordable by most middle class fans.....
I went to a game last year with two of my boys.
I literally dropped $1000.00 of my hard earned money for that crappy game.
I am with you, that's why the game is no longer catering to the middle class, its targetting corporate sponsors.....that's where the stadium money is going to come from...but the real money is in TV contracts, and with the likes of Amazon, NBC, CBS, Fox, ESPN, Yahoo, NFL Channel all competing for the rights to broadcast they are going to expand viewership. they are thinking ahead and already grooming the next generation of fans via Nikolodian broadcast that explained every little thing to them....funny to you and me, but great to the eyes of young kids who are needing to learn the game....

Verdict

Reaction score
First of all I can’t imagine him taking less than 37.7 Tag. And I’m not sure how much the Cap will go down as they add 17th game next season and 2021 Collective Bargaining agreements will kick in with minimum wages going up and players share of revenue increasing from 47 to 48%.

And looking ahead in 2023 the Networks TV contract will be coming up for renewal which with additional games the revenue will be increasing and why Dak only wanted a 4 year deal last year.

I’ll be shocked if Dak takes less than the 4 year deal Watson signed in September averaging 39 million.

Personally I don’t necessarily believe either QB is worth it but this is the current market for these type of Franchise QB’s. If we wanted to sign Dak for less we should have extended him long before his Rookie contract ran out.
Thank you for your substantive response to my question.

Shane612

Reaction score
I am with you, that's why the game is no longer catering to the middle class, its targetting corporate sponsors.....that's where the stadium money is going to come from...but the real money is in TV contracts, and with the likes of Amazon, NBC, CBS, Fox, ESPN, Yahoo, NFL Channel all competing for the rights to broadcast they are going to expand viewership. they are thinking ahead and already grooming the next generation of fans via Nikolodian broadcast that explained every little thing to them....funny to you and me, but great to the eyes of young kids who are needing to learn the game....
hmmmm.....Do you really think younger kids are tuning in to watch the NFL?
I work with kids 12 - 16, and most of them don't seem to be that interested. When I talk about the NFL in general, and the cowboys, they just shrug it off. Out of about 28 kids, I'd say only about 5 have interest in what is happening in the NFL.
They seem more interested in NCAA.
Yeah. I know it's just anecdotal.

Verdict

Reaction score
Who are most experts?

The new CBA may increase the percentages by one percent but it's still based on profits so if profits are down, which they are across the board, it won't represent an increase in cap.

I think it's foolish to bet on what might happen with a new TV Deal, at this point. I mean, the quality of football I've seen this season is not better IMO. Paying more for this product and consequently passing that on to consumers is not a sure fire success IMO. I don't think I would pay more for Football at this point. Just not worth it to me. But there again, that's basically the same kind of thought process we saw last year. The Cap will never go down, we were told. Well, it's going down. The future is not set in stone and I think it would be beyond stupid to bet everything on the idea that the NFL is not going to change. So far, every single thing in my life has changed to a certain extent. Why would the NFL be any different?

I think it’s inevitable that profits will decline at some point. When I guess is debatable, but if the cap doesn’t fall, based off of this season, it floor will have been artificially created.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
hmmmm.....Do you really think younger kids are tuning in to watch the NFL?
I work with kids 12 - 16, and most of them don't seem to be that interested. When I talk about the NFL in general, and the cowboys, they just shrug it off. Out of about 28 kids, I'd say only about 5 have interest in what is happening in the NFL.
They seem more interested in NCAA.
Yeah. I know it's just anecdotal.
not sure. my kids are into it, perhaps because I am.

perhaps that's why NFL is trying nickelodeon to recruit them.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
How are some of the same people saying Ceedee Lamb was a luxury pick worried about how the team will pay Gallup? His replacement is already on the roster if the team wants to go that route.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Well, off the top of my head, Gallup has a contract coming up, Connor Williams has one coming up, Randy Gregory, LVE, I think Schultz might have one coming up, the team has over 20 FAs this next year that will need to be resigned or backfilled. So if you don't think we need a full roster, OK, but we aren't good now so how you gonna get better by not retaining these other guys who are young starters for us?

If Dak gets a long term deal his cap hit next year could be lower than it is now. Then you just bring in players with equivalent cap hits to the players going out. Then you improve through the draft. Some players would get you a comp pick if they left as well. And that is before you get into post-June 1 cuts or potential restructures. Amari's deal would be perfect for a restructure and you could use that money to retain Gallup and keep your receiving group together or address other needs. No one else is really a priority to pay imo. People are talking about Mcgovern taking the LG spot already. LVE has to prove he can stay healthy. Gregory has another year here and may be willing to give a team discount. If he isn't willing and he gets a big deal somewhere else you get a comp pick.

kskboys

Reaction score
Soooooooooooooo, if Josh Allen resets the market at 31 mil/season, then what do we have to pay Dak?

BobbyFlame469

Reaction score
ok this has to stop!:facepalm:

YOU DO NOT KNOW MORE THEN JERRY AND HIS TEAM OF LAWYERS, CPAS, CAPOLOGISTS AND HUGE STAFF HE EMPLOYEES AS REAL ACTUAL FO MEMBER OF PRO SPRTS TEAM.

THEY KNOW WHAT YOU ARE SAYING PLUS 10TIMES MORE..

THERE ARE MORE REASONS THEN JUST THE CAP TO GETTING A DEAL DONE AND BOTH PARTIES HAVE TO PLAY,. DAKS BEEN PLAYING HARD BALL AND IM COMFORTABLE TO WHATEVER REASONS THE JONSES HAVE TO NOT YET GETTING THAT DEAL DONE..

THEY OBVIOUSLY ARE FAR MORE AWARE AND ACTUALLY ITS THEIR MONEY NOT YOURS..ITS THEIR TEAM, NOT YOURS AND FRANKLY THE BUSINESS SIDE OF FOOTBALL IS USELSS FOR FANS TO WHINE ABOUT..

they will handle it as they see fit..:angry::huh:o_O:rolleyes:
20 years and no post season success.

your average madden player could do as much

BobbyFlame469

Reaction score
Soooooooooooooo, if Josh Allen resets the market at 31 mil/season, then what do we have to pay Dak?
Doesn’t work like that. Tom Brady was the GOAT QB WHO took hometown discounts and has career earnings closer to Sam Bradford than a career underachiever like Matt Stafford.

The market isn’t dictated by one person. Just the last highest.

Baker Mayfield will likely get a minimum of 40 million this off season for brining the first playoff win to the Browns since Ronald Regan was alive.

BobbyFlame469

Reaction score
These salaries are absurd and getting out of hand
That’s capitalism. They’re a reflection of the revenue the NFL is making.

Making 1 million in 1960 for an NFL player was A LOT more than a quarterback making 30-40 even 50 million a year.

BobbyFlame469

Reaction score
Lol Baker Mayfield is going to get 40 Million?

Dak is ten times the QB Baker is and it isn't even close.
Exactly. It’s why we should have signed him two years ago. I absolutely guarantee you a team like the Commanders would have no problem making dak the highest paid quarterback now that Alex smith is off the books and the NFC EAST is wide open thanks to Dak being by FAR the best quarterback in the division.

CWR

Reaction score
Well, off the top of my head, Gallup has a contract coming up, Connor Williams has one coming up, Randy Gregory, LVE, I think Schultz might have one coming up, the team has over 20 FAs this next year that will need to be resigned or backfilled. So if you don't think we need a full roster, OK, but we aren't good now so how you gonna get better by not retaining these other guys who are young starters for us?

Gregory is the only guy I think we NEED to re-sign out of these. I never expected us to retain Gallup with both Coop and Lamb on board. Admit it we don't have much leaving. I like the guys we may lose, but I think some of them would be lost without Daks contract and some of them we will replace in the draft. Its not going to hurt us as much as letting a franchise QB walk out the doors.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Lol Baker Mayfield is going to get 40 Million?

Dak is ten times the QB Baker is and it isn't even close.

Mayfield's younger than Dak, had the same level of success (and more importantly it's more recent) and is on a team that is set to 'win now' .... Cleveland are in a position that they have to extend him (same goes for Allen and Jackson). We dont meet the same criteria.

We're in the same predicament as Houston, if the QB's paid it'll damage the team.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Josh Allen and even Baker Mayfield are expected to command north of 38~40 million per year.

These are quarterbacks who both have career passer ratings over 10 ENTIRE points less than Dak (although Josh Allen has been improving)

That laughable 40 million per year price tag is going to be considered a steal in just 1 to 2 off seasons

Those a good teams. We are not. That is the difference. People like to forget that healthy Dak with his full compliment of OL, WRs, and Zeke was 8-8 in 2019.

Dak is a dead end for this franchise.

Section446

Reaction score
Dak has nothing to do with Allen, he isn't on Allen's level.

He should get a contract similar to Baker, they're both just average.

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
Exactly. It’s why we should have signed him two years ago. I absolutely guarantee you a team like the Commanders would have no problem making dak the highest paid quarterback now that Alex smith is off the books and the NFC EAST is wide open thanks to Dak being by FAR the best quarterback in the division.

i agree completely. Dak will get 45 million on the open market.