Cowboys need to resign Dak before Baker and Josh Allen reset the market

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Well, my hope is that we can get off this WR kick and go get some defense. I think MM and certain Quinn know what they need.

Once Dalton got acclimated , he actually looked pretty good. Consider he had no off season to prepare with these players and was working behind a second team OL most of the year.
If a Dalton type of QB is the recommendation, I'm not in. I don't want career losers like Dalton or Stafford who couldn't even win anything with good defenses.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Do you guys watch the players and the games? The Browns were up 28-0 and Baker threw the ball 4 times.

His defense had the greatest start ever in a playoff game. In no way is that evidence that he accomplished more than Dak ever has

You write as if Dak's won more than a single play-off game.

The whole argument for Baker being paid isnt about whether he's good, bad or indifferent, it's that he works for a team that's play-off caliber ......a team that have the CAP to lock him down and have money to improve in other areas.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If a Dalton type of QB is the recommendation, I'm not in. I don't want career losers like Dalton or Stafford who couldn't even win anything with good defenses.

Well, by that definition, Dak is well on his way to career loser status.

kskboys

Reaction score
Doesn’t work like that. Tom Brady was the GOAT QB WHO took hometown discounts and has career earnings closer to Sam Bradford than a career underachiever like Matt Stafford.

The market isn’t dictated by one person. Just the last highest.

Baker Mayfield will likely get a minimum of 40 million this off season for brining the first playoff win to the Browns since Ronald Regan was alive.
So what if Baker and Allen both take around 31 mil? I keep being told that it's the latest contracts, so then what?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's fine. Isn't the goal to get something better, not necessarily cheaper? Or are we trying to win the salary cap championship?

is Phillip Rivers a career loser? Would you prefer Nick Foles? There is no recipe here or everyone would follow it to the letter. You need a complete team or a transcendent QB like Brady which is not an option for us. So, we need to go with the best QB we can buy given the constraint that we have a team to build. If Stafford would come home to Dallas for under 30M, that's a better bargain than Dak.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
is Phillip Rivers a career loser? Would you prefer Nick Foles? There is no recipe here or everyone would follow it to the letter. You need a complete team or a transcendent QB like Brady which is not an option for us. So, we need to go with the best QB we can buy given the constraint that we have a team to build.
Yep. Won't be a team Rivers can win with. Lump him in with Cousins, Stafford, and Dalton. Let's try to improve the position, not settle for cheaper.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep. Won't be a team Rivers can win with. Lump him in with Cousins, Stafford, and Dalton. Let's try to improve the position, not settle for cheaper.

Improve the position with who? The only other option is drafting a QB and hoping MM can develop him. Rivers, Cousins, and Stafford would be short term upgrades over Dak and way cheaper.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Improve the position with who? The only other option is drafting a QB and hoping MM can develop him. Rivers, Cousins, and Stafford would be short term upgrades over Dak and way cheaper.
So another year we have no shot at winning it all. Got it.

I'd much rather just do a rebuild and try to get a blue chip QB.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
If Dak gets a long term deal his cap hit next year could be lower than it is now. Then you just bring in players with equivalent cap hits to the players going out. Then you improve through the draft. Some players would get you a comp pick if they left as well. And that is before you get into post-June 1 cuts or potential restructures. Amari's deal would be perfect for a restructure and you could use that money to retain Gallup and keep your receiving group together or address other needs. No one else is really a priority to pay imo. People are talking about Mcgovern taking the LG spot already. LVE has to prove he can stay healthy. Gregory has another year here and may be willing to give a team discount. If he isn't willing and he gets a big deal somewhere else you get a comp pick.

If it were as easy as you suggest, don't you think we would be loaded every year?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
is Phillip Rivers a career loser? Would you prefer Nick Foles? There is no recipe here or everyone would follow it to the letter. You need a complete team or a transcendent QB like Brady which is not an option for us. So, we need to go with the best QB we can buy given the constraint that we have a team to build. If Stafford would come home to Dallas for under 30M, that's a better bargain than Dak.
I’d agree for the short term . And if we can’t get a deal done would be a reasonable alternative while also looking to the draft.

But what Dak represents to our ownership is a commitment to potentially most of the next decade.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Gregory is the only guy I think we NEED to re-sign out of these. I never expected us to retain Gallup with both Coop and Lamb on board. Admit it we don't have much leaving. I like the guys we may lose, but I think some of them would be lost without Daks contract and some of them we will replace in the draft. Its not going to hurt us as much as letting a franchise QB walk out the doors.

It's like it's 2000 all over again.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Yes giving up 3 first round picks and 5 years of drafting to find the right QB on average is 100% the way to go.

Paying the QB is absolutely the way to go. The only downside is that you are never going to be bad enough to basically have free access to the top tier draft talent so nailing your drafts is harder, but if you can nail your drafts that is the difference between perennial playoff team and SB contender.

Wow. Perfect post.

There's no recovering from this for the other poster.

Reactions: CWR

Diehardblues

Reaction score
......and 3 pro bowlers on the OL....... elite rb....... still no results.
I think at some point if we pay him that we will expect Dak to carry our offense without all of the Elite pieces.

This notion we haven’t had any results isn’t totally accurate. We’ve come close twice to our first championship appearance since the 90’s. That could be determined as enough to invest in.

And that’s without a good defense. Just saying.. as I’m not a slobbering Dakster. Been a critic in many fronts. But “no results “ isn’t a fair description.