Cowboys need to resign Dak before Baker and Josh Allen reset the market

88sAndHeartbreak

Reaction score
Wow. Thats some great thinking you did here. You got the first part right about the defense. So we can agree the defense needs to be rebuilt. The next question is how do you rebuild the defense with a Qb making 40M, a WR making 20M, and a RB making 17M.......and still keep the OL stocked so these 3 premium priced players have a chance to shine.

Dak is not a transcendent talent. You apparently have amnesia b/c just lat year he was 8-8 with most everyone on offense healthy. This franchise is going nowhere without a much improved defense and we have more needs than can be filled in the draft. The fact you think Dak is better than Rivers and Stafford tells me that you are just a fanboy upset b/c not everyone thinks your pet cat is the answer.
Who said Dak is a "transcendent talent"? There are only currently three guys like that... Brady, Mahomes, and Rodgers. It ain't Rivers who's about to retire or Stafford who just finished 5-11. I don't have to think that he's better, the numbers are there.

The Def. does NOT need to be rebuilt necessarily, they need 2 or 3 key guys that can be drafted. We don't need a $100M defense, ask the Giants how that worked out for them. A team is more likely to hit on a good defensive player in the draft than a good QB.

*Oh, and you must have amnesia about the dark times between Aikman and Romo.

Last edited:

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Josh Allen and even Baker Mayfield are expected to command north of 38~40 million per year.

These are quarterbacks who both have career passer ratings over 10 ENTIRE points less than Dak (although Josh Allen has been improving)

That laughable 40 million per year price tag is going to be considered a steal in just 1 to 2 off seasons

Its only a steal when his anno base salary is low in the same year you compare it to others.
Its not a steal when his 2021 is low compared to the figures QBs get payed 2 years later. Thats like comparing apples with oranges.Its a very trival thought process.

And dont get yourself under stress just because players salaries climb. Salaries climb because of the inflation of the cap. In relation players dont get more expensive.

With the cap declining for the first time in cap history why make overhasty decissions ?
Lets wait and find out how a decline of the cap has effects on contracts first. Then decide what to do.

And also we waited now nearly 2 years and did not sign him. Why now all of a sudden ?

Lets take your time for such important decissions. Nobody sets you under preassure rather yourself.

Make rational decissions not emotional ones.

Last edited:

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I'm fine with drafting a QB. Its not like there is a path forward with Dak making 40M.
I don't think there is a path forward with or without Dak making $40 million, especially when you overpay for players like Zeke and Jaylon, and now have the highest paid unhealthy offensive line. Team just needs to cut bait, take salary cap hits, have a terrible season and try to rebuild.

I actually hope Dak escapes this mess.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You mentioning Rodgers and Manning to defend Dak is a desperate joke. As for Mayfield and Allen, they both have won as many playoff games as Dak so I guess that means they are as good if not better than Dak.
wait, one of you measures playoff win as measure of success. another one says superbowls...

do you follow the thread? or do you must like to follow my posts, given my response was to someone who said, QBs are measured by superbowls only, which means Dilfer is a better QB than Marino. according to him.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Why are there so many of you "Dak at All Costs" who can't interpret information on anything other than the basic level.

The argument above differs with the Cowboys as NOBODY is saying QB dont have help, what they're saying that is that our offense is such that we shouldnt need an 'expensive QB' to function.....indeed it could be argued that our offense has succeeded DESPITE Dak being only average to good on Red Zone accuracy and production.

The argument is that with the team, as it is, would be better served with resources being spent heavily on the defense rather than QB. That maybe in free agency or drafting (if their man is available)....whichever QB would be playing in a talented (when fit) offense.
wait, those other offenses and players on their teams have expensive QBs...now you are arguing that we don't need it...but we saw first hand this year what someone like Dalton did....he sucked.

you need a good QB to make an offense go, you can't just fill it up with all pros everywhere and go cheap on the QB...we have seen teams fail. and you need at least and average defense built through the draft and a coach that is able to make the right calls at critical times to make a TEAM successful....that is the common thread in all of those teams above

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Do you guys watch the players and the games? The Browns were up 28-0 and Baker threw the ball 4 times.

His defense had the greatest start ever in a playoff game. In no way is that evidence that he accomplished more than Dak ever has
this is no different than Tannehill winning two playoff games throwing less than a 100 yards, because Henry went insane......and when it counted and needed for him to be able to throw the ball, he choked, because he wasn't carrying the team. the team was carrying him. same thing with grapolo in the NFCCG. he threw the ball 8 times, while SF rushed the ball down their throat.....he went along for the ride.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
You mentioning Rodgers and Manning to defend Dak is a desperate joke. As for Mayfield and Allen, they both have won as many playoff games as Dak so I guess that means they are as good if not better than Dak.

He mentioned like 7 other QBs you dolt. Lmao.

And anyone is more than welcome to use Dak and Rodgers as a comparison, since he had been merely average(despite having arguably the best receiver in football that entire time) the last three seasons before really taking off again this season.

Last edited:

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I wish people would stop bringing it up, to tell the truth!!!!!!!! However, everyone just has to get in their little jabs.
Agreed, no ones opinion will change. Even if they're either wrong or uninformed. I'm guessing most of us are more uninformed on contract details. God knows the media is a twist :)

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
What math are you doing to come up with 5-6 wins? Show me your homework...

And I guess one of the worst ranked defenses in Cowboy HISTORY has nothing to do with anything? The defense allowed 473 points and the run D was ranked 31st... there are only 32 teams in the NFL.

Here's my homework...
Daks passing yards first four games this season:
1. 266
2. 450
3. 472
4. 502
If he would have continued on that pace he would have had AT LEAST 5k+. Sure Jamis Winston has a 5k+ but yall failed to mention his 30 INTERCEPTIONS that year.

*****Edit:
No you haven't "seen this before" Dallas has never had a 5k+ yd qb

If you can't figure out how I come up with 5 or 6 wins, then you aren't going to understand the "homework".

The D is not going to get better if you spend all the cap at QB.

Impressive, 1600 yards in 4 games and what exactly did it get? One win over over a 4-12 Atlanta Falcons on a lucky onsides kick break.

BTW, I never said a thing about Winston but the fact remains, Winston threw for 5K and also had a crappy season.

It's about wins, not how many yards your favorite QB can throw for.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
If you can't figure out how I come up with 5 or 6 wins, then you aren't going to understand the "homework".

Impressive, 1600 yards in 4 games and what exactly did it get? One win over over a 4-12 Atlanta Falcons on a lucky onsides kick break.

BTW, I never said a thing about Winston but the fact remains, Winston threw for 5K and also had a crappy season.

how is the defense not going to get better if you spend part (not all, so don't be so dramatic) of the cap on QB....and are you then suggesting to build a defense through FA? can you tell me when was the last time that worked? can you do your homework and tell me what went wrong with the defense? what is wrong with the defense?

so in your opinion its OK for defense to give up 36+ pts a game and any QB should be able to over come that? is it ok for defense to give up 200,200, 300, 200 yards rushing and still expect offense to win the game for you? can you tell me how many teams won games when their defense gave up 200+ yards rushing?

do your homework. what you did was very lazy. I give you an -F

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Wow. Thats some great thinking you did here. You got the first part right about the defense. So we can agree the defense needs to be rebuilt. The next question is how do you rebuild the defense with a Qb making 40M, a WR making 20M, and a RB making 17M.......and still keep the OL stocked so these 3 premium priced players have a chance to shine.

Dak is not a transcendent talent. You apparently have selective amnesia b/c just last year he struggled to get the team to 8-8 with most everyone on offense healthy. This franchise is going nowhere without a much improved defense and we have more needs than can be filled in the draft. The fact you think Dak is better than Rivers and Stafford tells me that you are just a fanboy upset b/c not everyone thinks your pet cat is the answer.
how do you rebuild the defense? through better drafting. tell me how many teams built any side of their team through FA and succeeded? are you suggesting to build defense through FA? in the past 15 years, 44 defensive draft picks, we have picked one impact player (of sorts) in Lawrence and one good player in Jones....fix that and building the defense becomes easier. otherwise 180M of cap dedication to defense ain't going to fix it, because we even manage to screw up defensive FAs.....

RonnieT24

Reaction score
how is the defense not going to get better if you spend part (not all, so don't be so dramatic) of the cap on QB....and are you then suggesting to build a defense through FA? can you tell me when was the last time that worked? can you do your homework and tell me what went wrong with the defense? what is wrong with the defense?

so in your opinion its OK for defense to give up 36+ pts a game and any QB should be able to over come that? is it ok for defense to give up 200,200, 300, 200 yards rushing and still expect offense to win the game for you? can you tell me how many teams won games when their defense gave up 200+ yards rushing?

do your homework. what you did was very lazy. I give you an -F

The defense will get better by simply not asking them to adapt to a ridiculously overcomplicated system without OTAs, training camp and preseason. I firmly believe you could take the exact same personnel we ended the season with and be at least a middle of the pack defense with the simple change of having guys know what the hell they are supposed to be doing on any given play. The astronomical number of blown assignments we saw this season tells me that the guys simply did not grasp Nolan's system. The fact that Sean Lee got into a shouting match with one of the defensive coaches (was it Nolan?) about said system tells me all I need to know. Sean Lee may be the smartest defensive player in franchise history.. If your system confuses him then your system is wrong.. No absolutely NO QB is going to overcome a 36 ppg defense.. Thankfully I don't believe that's who this defense is without Nolan and/or his scheme screwing up their heads.

88sAndHeartbreak

Reaction score

So you say 5-6 wins without showing any shred of proof that Dak would be the source of the problems. I don't think anyone could win with second to last ranked defense.

The D isn't going to get any better if you throw money at it either, like I said in another post... that didn't work out too well for the Giants. Having a smart, educated, and frankly lucky draft/free agency... and the D instantly gets better.

How did the D play those first four games? Including the Falcons game we got lucky to win.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
So you say 5-6 wins without showing any shred of proof that Dak would be the source of the problems. I don't think anyone could win with second to last ranked defense.

The D isn't going to get any better if you throw money at it either, like I said in another post... that didn't work out too well for the Giants. Having a smart, educated, and frankly lucky draft/free agency... and the D instantly gets better.

How did the D play those first four games? Including the Falcons game we got lucky to win.

You got a problem with that? You say 5 thousand after you know for a fact that it never happened but I guess that's OK right?

You come right out and say that you don't believe anybody can win with "second to last ranked defense" but then turn around and say that the D won't get better if you spend money on it. You can't have it both ways. This discussion with you is a fools errand.

Exactly what is a "Smart, educated, frankly lucky draft/free agency" look like, exactly?

Just stop.....

RonnieT24

Reaction score

Exactly.. Just signing "names" isn't going to be enough. It never is.. But think about how the defense played over the second half of the season.. In the first 8 games they gave up 33.25 ppg then in the second half it went down to 25.88. Not the Steel Curtain.. but paired with a 33 ppg offense you're gonna win more than you lose. Against playoff teams with Dak we scored 17, 31 and 38 points. Unfortunately the defense gave up 20, 38 and 49. If they had simply given up THIRTY we would have gone 2-1 in those games and 4-1 overall with Dak. Without Dak against playoff teams our offense put up 3, 19, 16 and 17 while the defense was giving up 25, 24, 41 and 34. So either with Dak in those games score your average and you're at least 2-2 with an outside chance at 3-1 if they can figure out how to tackle Lamar Jackson just once.

88sAndHeartbreak

Reaction score
You got a problem with that? You say 5 thousand after you know for a fact that it never happened but I guess that's OK right?

You come right out and say that you don't believe anybody can win with "second to last ranked defense" but then turn around and say that the D won't get better if you spend money on it. You can't have it both ways. This discussion with you is a fools errand.

Exactly what is a "Smart, educated, frankly lucky draft/free agency" look like, exactly?

Just stop.....
I said multiple times that Dak was ON PACE before injury for a 5k+ season.

You don't know what a smart, educated, and lucky draft/free agency is, but a discussion with ME is a fools arrand?!? LMAO... I've already told what it doesn't look like, the Giants and thier $100M defense a few years back.

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score

Who exactly are we going to sign with the savings from not signing Dak.

Free agents are almost always overpaid, especially high priced ones. They almost never live up to the hype.

You want Justin Simmons at 17 million a year and Yannick Ngackoye (or however his last name is spelled) or Shaq Barrett at 18 million a year. Does not seem ever remotely worth it.

The fact is, having a great QB definitely helps your defense. Not only does it give them the confidence that allows them to play looser, but a QB who can command the game allows the defense time to rest. A QB who can have long, sustained drives is a huge help to the defense.