Cowboys need to resign Dak before Baker and Josh Allen reset the market

Flamma

Reaction score
What smart teams in your opinion are not paying their quarterback a lot of money and having astounding success?

Paying them hasn't actually led to astounding success either. I wouldn't pay Mayfield. Let him walk. Would you pay Darnold? Neither of those QBs are worth the cap hit. They won't win a thing after getting paid.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And the salary they are being paid is keeping them from winning it.
Maybe so. But those QB’s are keeping them contenders . You’re assuming their next QB would. I’m assuming that’s a big part of why they resign their SB QB’s and not releasing them . That’s just not how the league is ever going to work.

They aren’t going to dump QB’s who they’ve had success with for the unknown. Only a HS or college HC would have such a mentality because that’s what they have to do. But in Cap era it might be a reasonable solution. Just can’t see it happening.

Basically you’re recommending releasing all of the top QB’s after their Rookie contract especially if they’ve won a SB.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So I take it you are in the sign Dak mindset at this point?
I know at one point you weren't sold.
What moved the needle for you? Marked improvement in accuracy since 2018?
Just wondering.
I’m still not sold Dak is enough. But if our powers that be think he is then we should sign him.

He’s appears enough for us to remain “relevant and interesting “.

kskboys

Reaction score
Maybe so. But those QB’s are keeping them contenders . You’re assuming their next QB would. I’m assuming that’s a big part of why they resign their SB QB’s and not releasing them . That’s just not how the league is ever going to work.

They aren’t going to dump QB’s who they’ve had success with for the unknown. Only a HS or college HC would have such a mentality because that’s what they have to do. But in Cap era it might be a reasonable solution. Just can’t see it happening.
I'm actually not assuming anything. You're assuming that I'm assuming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know how this will turn out, but I do know that capstrapping contracts for your QB keeps you from winning it all. Flacco, Rodgers, Wilson, Rothy, all got paid and the super bowls stopped.

Flamma

Reaction score
The question is what teams are contending for Super Bowls without paying their QB?

But to answer your question . Currently there’s several QB’s being paid who have won SB’s and several been in multiple SB’s. Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Rothleisburger and Wilson. This doesn’t count one who retired last year in Eli and another who’s not starting this year in Flacco. And others been in SB’s: Ryan, Goff.

You're painting a picture that pretends to assume high paid QBs win Super Bowls. It's just not true. Brady wasn't being paid market value. Rodgers hasn't been to a SB in a capped season. Brees took up 8.7% of the cap. Go ahead and try to pay Dak 8.7% of the cap and see what he says. Wilson wasn't in SBs after he was paid. Goff? Wasn't he paid after the SB?

The idea is to try and win SBs with a good QB still on his rookie deal. Once that window is closed you're not winning SBs with quarterbacks like Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Cousins, or QBs like that. Some of the best QBs have a hard time doing it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You're painting a picture that pretends to assume high paid QBs win Super Bowls. It's just not true. Brady wasn't being paid market value. Rodgers hasn't been to a SB in a capped season. Brees took up 8.7% of the cap. Go ahead and try to pay Dak 8.7% of the cap and see what he says. Wilson wasn't in SBs after he was paid. Goff? Wasn't he paid after the SB?

The idea is to try and win SBs with a good QB still on his rookie deal. Once that window is closed you're not winning SBs with quarterbacks like Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Cousins, or QBs like that. Some of the best QBs have a hard time doing it.
I understand but winning isn’t the only priority. Remaining a contender is. And those QB are a key component.

I just can’t imagine a league where teams start releasing their SB Caliber QB’s after their Rookie contracts.

Franchises will never treat their QB’s like the rest of the roster.

Flamma

Reaction score
I understand but winning isn’t the only priority. Remaining a contender is. And those QB are a key component.

I just can’t imagine a league where teams start releasing their SB Caliber QB’s after their Rookie contracts.

Franchises will never treat their QB’s like the rest of the roster.

They won't because it's still a business. Paying Baker Mayfield pays off as far as good for business. But they're not winning a SB with him eating up 15% of the cap.

Swagger

Reaction score

Quite.
If Aaron Rodgers hasn't reached the SB since being paid big money surely the red flags should be very apparent to the teams with QBs like Prescott. Maybe Rodger's cap hit isn't too bad this season in comparison to his peers given he is one of the best quarterbacks in the league hence why he has had more success...oh and McCarthy isn't his Head Coach.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They won't because it's still a business. Paying Baker Mayfield pays off as far as good for business. But they're not winning a SB with him eating up 15% of the cap.
Maybe not but they like their chances better of remaining a contender for a decade or longer than starting over every 4 or 5 years.

Can we even imagine a league that releases their SB caliber QB’s after their Rookie contracts?

If the league was really worried about this they’d put a Cap on QB salaries.

Swagger

Reaction score
Maybe not but they like their chances better of remaining a contender for a decade or longer than starting over every 4 or 5 years.

Can we even imagine a league that releases their SB caliber QB’s after their Rookie contracts?

Well let's see what Bill Bellichick does over the next 5 years

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Well let's see what Bill Bellichick does over the next 5 years
We’ve already have one years evidence. Not too good.

But let’s assume he finds another gem . Do you think he’ll release him after he wins SB with him when it’s time to resign him from his Rookie contract?

Flamma

Reaction score
Quite.
If Aaron Rodgers hasn't reached the SB since being paid big money surely the red flags should be very apparent to the teams with QBs like Prescott. Maybe Rodger's cap hit isn't too bad this season in comparison to his peers given he is one of the best quarterbacks in the league hence why he has had more success...oh and McCarthy isn't his Head Coach.

Actually, Rodgers cap hit this season is friendly. Around 10%. It wasn't last year and it definitely won't be next year. But either way, he hasn't been to a SB since 2010. Are the Cowboys going to somehow do better paying a lesser QB? I doubt it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The NFL is a QB driven league. The teams with the best QB’s are more consistent contenders with rare exceptions of a generational defense which is short lived because of the Cap.

Flamma

Reaction score

There's no need for a cap on QB salaries whether it's a problem or not. If winning SBs was their only goal they'd just pay them less. But it isn't. Making money is a big part of owning a team. Lets see how many SBs Mahomes wins after his 5th year.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Actually, Rodgers cap hit this season is friendly. Around 10%. It wasn't last year and it definitely won't be next year. But either way, he hasn't been to a SB since 2010. Are the Cowboys going to somehow do better paying a lesser QB? I doubt it.
Well, it depends on how well they draft and find inexpensive FA and handle other talents contracts.

Based on our dysfunctional franchise, I doubt it. Shoot, we couldn’t do it on their Rookie contracts.

Flamma

Reaction score
We’ve already have one years evidence. Not too good.

But let’s assume he finds another gem . Do you think he’ll release him after he wins SB with him when it’s time to resign him from his Rookie contract?

You're using an outlier to try and prove a point. Bill Belichick is the only coach in history to have that much success with an elite QB.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
There's no need for a cap on QB salaries whether it's a problem or not. If winning SBs was their only goal they'd just pay them less. But it isn't. Making money is a big part of owning a team. Lets see how many SBs Mahomes wins after his 5th year.
Totally agree. And why Jethro used his “ relative and interesting “.

Winning Super Bowls is fun and fans place entirely too much emphasis on it. Being a consistent contender for years is much more entertaining. The pursuit of winning is what it’s really all about. And that’s what these Star QB’s provide.

Flamma

Reaction score
Well, it depends on how well they draft and find inexpensive FA and handle other talents contracts.

Based on our dysfunctional franchise, I doubt it. Shoot, we couldn’t do it on their Rookie contracts.

I['m not saying don't ever pay quarterbacks. But you want to be around that 10% of the cap. I notice QBs get there when they're at or around that cap hit.

Flamma

Reaction score
Totally agree. And why Jethro used his “ relative and interesting “.

Winning Super Bowls is fun and fans place entirely too much emphasis on it. Being a consistent contender for years is much more entertaining. The pursuit of winning is what it’s really all about. And that’s what these Star QB’s provide.

It is entertaining. But at the same time I want to believe my team has a shot at winning a SB. And since '95 the Cowboys have had 3. Even though the Packers were good for a lot of years with Rodgers, besides 2011, this year is the only year I think they have a legit shot.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You're using an outlier to try and prove a point. Bill Belichick is the only coach in history to have that much success with an elite QB.
Yes, he had the most but not only one. Lombardi won 5 championships with one QB. Steelers won 4 with one QB. 49ers as well.

Several teams went to multiple SB’s with same QB. Most of all they were strong contenders for an era. Which is really the measuring stick.

NFL history definitely would prove that Elite QB’s are a vital component of winning championships and remaining a consistent contender.