Cowboys need to resign Dak before Baker and Josh Allen reset the market

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It is entertaining. But at the same time I want to believe my team has a shot at winning a SB. And since '95 the Cowboys have had 3. Even though the Packers were good for a lot of years with Rodgers, besides 2011, this year is the only year I think they have a legit shot.
This might be the only year you believe they have a legit shot but I bet if we polled the majority of Packer fans they’ve felt they had a shot most years with Rodgers. That’s what a QB with SB credentials provides to the average fan.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I['m not saying don't ever pay quarterbacks. But you want to be around that 10% of the cap. I notice QBs get there when they're at or around that cap hit.
Then why don’t you think more teams don’t pursue that ?

Motorola

Reaction score
I’m still not sold Dak is enough. But if our powers that be think he is then we should sign him.

He’s appears enough for us to remain “relevant and interesting “.
The Dallas Cowboys are "relevant and interesting" because it is the most profitable and valuable professional sports franchise worldwide.
It is not based on Dak Prescott being the starting QB.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Dallas Cowboys are "relevant and interesting" because it is the most profitable and valuable professional sports franchise worldwide.
The Dallas Cowboys were here before Prescott and ya they will still be here after Prescott!
Jerry is a terrible GM but a great salesman this is a given!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Of course but Dak is his leading character at the moment. This isn’t about what we think. It’s what Jethro perceives. And he appears to think he needs Dak to remain relative and interesting until of course the next one comes along.

Motorola

Reaction score
Of course but Dak is his leading character at the moment. This isn’t about what we think. It’s what Jethro perceives. And he appears to think he needs Dak to remain relative and interesting until of course the next one comes along.
Prescott could sign with another team today - the Cowboys would be all over the sports media headlines --
"What are they doing?! -- --Big mistake!! ----Where do they go from here!?!
"And the next starting Dallas Cowboys QB is...." would garner just as much attention as to where Prescott winds up.
Still "relevant and interesting"

Last edited:

Flamma

Reaction score
Yes, he had the most but not only one. Lombardi won 5 championships with one QB. Steelers won 4 with one QB. 49ers as well.

Several teams went to multiple SB’s with same QB. Most of all they were strong contenders for an era. Which is really the measuring stick.

NFL history definitely would prove that Elite QB’s are a vital component of winning championships and remaining a consistent contender.

He went to 9 super bowls with one QB. Yes I count the losses too because that's as far as you can go. And it's really hard just getting to a SB.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Josh Allen and even Baker Mayfield are expected to command north of 38~40 million per year.

These are quarterbacks who both have career passer ratings over 10 ENTIRE points less than Dak (although Josh Allen has been improving)

That laughable 40 million per year price tag is going to be considered a steal in just 1 to 2 off seasons
Baker and Josh Allen don't even belong in the same sentence together.

Flamma

Reaction score
Then why don’t you think more teams don’t pursue that ?

They don't care to? If you have a big name QB, paying him is an investment. From a business standpoint. What's good for business is not always good for the team. Obviously success is good for business. And a good quarterback provides that. But is a championship really necessary for business? I'll pose a hypothetical. If God came down and told the owner of the Chiefs that they wont win another super bowl in the next 12 years, do you that he wouldn't still sign Mahomes? He sure would.

Mk2_Cowboys

Reaction score
I like Baker Mayfield and love him in the commercials . There is literally zero chance he gets 40 million .

also Colin Cow-turd said a stat the other day , no team has won a super bowl with a QB in the top 3 in salary in decades. You pay a qb that much the rest of the team isn’t that good

Flamma

Reaction score
I like Baker Mayfield and love him in the commercials . There is literally zero chance he gets 40 million .

I'm curious to see what happens with the 2018 QB draft class. It's Mayfield, Darnold, Allen, Rosen, and Jackson. Well, Rosen is out. But the rest are up for extensions this off season. I'm guessing Allen and Jackson get extensions. Darnold gets replaced. I honestly have no idea in regards to Mayfield. Cleveland might just break the bank for him. He's put that team back on the map. He's made the Browns relevant again. No way in hell are they winning a SB, but they're relevant again. I don't know what goes through an owners mind and or what is important to them.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Just because the neighbor's purchase an expensive house does not mean you should purchase a house as much as theirs....especially if that house has a crack in its foundation.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Yes giving up 3 first round picks and 5 years of drafting to find the right QB on average is 100% the way to go.

Paying the QB is absolutely the way to go. The only downside is that you are never going to be bad enough to basically have free access to the top tier draft talent so nailing your drafts is harder, but if you can nail your drafts that is the difference between perennial playoff team and SB contender.

Who said anything about giving up so much draft capitol? Quarterbacks can be found throughout the draft so why settle for giving Dak an overpriced contract simply because you are worried that you may not find an improvement? This team is more than a QB away from being a contender.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Super Bowl winners since 2010, with cap percentage:
2020: Patrick Mahomes: 2.4% (Rookie)
2019: Tom Brady: 12.4%
2018: Nick Foles: 1.0% - Carson Wentz 3.6% (Rookie)
2017: Tom Brady: 8.9%
2016: Peyton Manning: 12.2%
2015: Tom Brady: 11.1%
2014: Russell Wilson: 0.6% (Rookie)
2013: Joe Flacco: 6.6% (Rookie)
2012: Eli Manning: 11.7%
2011: Aaron Rodgers: Uncapped season
2010: Drew Brees: 8.7%
Carson wentz wasn’t a rookie in 2018. Great job lol

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mahomes has already set the market for at least the next 3-5 years. No young QB can demand more money w/o Super Bowl. So until that happens, his contract is the ceiling.
That’s not how it works.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don’t be stupid because other teams are stupid..

Drafting QBs is the way to go.
That pendulum can swing back the other way quickly. Most of the attention goes to Mahomes, Allen, Murray, Burrow and Herbert but there's still Darnold, Bortles, Trubisky and Rosen to consider.

Every team must consider the upside of a new QB better than what they have. The Jets have to decide that now. It is different for a team like ATL where Ryan is winding down or other teams facing a changing of the guard.

Are any of the QB's they could take at 10 better than what they have?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wouldn’t jerry have been off if he had let Dak walk and signed Tom Brady for 26 mil . We would be in the playoffs now . Instead we are going to pay 40 mil for Dak and then he will tank and get sloppy like zeke , and a bother 4-5 years are wasted .
Tom Brady would be in a body cast.