Cowboys philosophy

waving monkey

Reaction score
So what would your board utopia be?

Threads about how happy you are that they scraped, clawed and fought to 9-7?

And how about that 13-3? That was just awesome! We don't need to close out seasons! That was better than all but one of our Super Bowl winning seasons in terms of regular season wins!

Conversations about how Garrett is the next Tom Landry and he really really has us on the right track, honest?

I am dead serious with this question.

Since you want people to deny reality and indulge in fantasy, what would you have everyone do so it fits your quite intellectually challenged perspective?
This isn't denying reality. Denying reality is continuing to post and whine because ole Jerry wont sell his team and you know it wont happen.
If you cant see the trend up that's on you. Thats intellectually challenged. The Jones family is here to stay adapt or whine. Your choice.
But calling someone intellectually challenged because they see growth and you'd rather stick your fingers in your ears and stomp your feet is intellectually dishonest.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
You know I’m on record for not being a fan of Jerry Jones but I do support Stephen and Garrett. Garrett for only another year. This has only been the case for the last 6 or 7 years. That’s when the Cowboys made the decided to at least try and get Jerry out of the personnel decisions. They started spending wisely in FA instead of the 50 mil for Carr, high draft picks for Williams and Galloway. TO, etc. Since then they’ve made wise decisions and have drafted very well. Sure Jerry screwed this organization up for the most part of his ownership but they’ve turned the corner. We haven’t seen the playoff success yet but that doesn’t mean it’s not coming. There is something to be said about building via the draft and having a young roster sprinkled with a few vets here and there on offense, defense and ST’s. That’s what this team is banking on,,,,young, motivated and naive.

I'm not as young as I used to be. Still young enough to be naive and hopeful though. Good post. Looks like we're in the minority, oh well. Oh we like sheep :)

I tried to even out the chorus.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
You know I’m on record for not being a fan of Jerry Jones but I do support Stephen and Garrett. Garrett for only another year. This has only been the case for the last 6 or 7 years. That’s when the Cowboys made the decided to at least try and get Jerry out of the personnel decisions. They started spending wisely in FA instead of the 50 mil for Carr, high draft picks for Williams and Galloway. TO, etc. Since then they’ve made wise decisions and have drafted very well. Sure Jerry screwed this organization up for the most part of his ownership but they’ve turned the corner. We haven’t seen the playoff success yet but that doesn’t mean it’s not coming. There is something to be said about building via the draft and having a young roster sprinkled with a few vets here and there on offense, defense and ST’s. That’s what this team is banking on,,,,young, motivated and naive.
I’ll support you man....lol. I like Jason Garrett, always have, but he gets no more rope as they build the team. I loved Landry, but eventually he had to be fired too. I have liked almost every coach we’ve had, even Switzer. The only coach I did not like at all was Parcells. I grew to hate his smug face so much on that Giant sideline that I hated him in Dallas, too...never supported him.

I enjoy every season and foster a connection to every team each year, win or lose. Foolish, I guess.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I kept hoping for indications we somehow could upend the Egirls, Packers, Vikings, Rams, Saints, Patriots and maybe the Jags and Panthers and Hawks.
Blimey and Leeds poseys, your optimism is endearing but misguided, lad. Every team is sprinkled with young talent and veterans.
And every team has its wide-eyed fans making playoff predictions. But so what, bloke?
Can’t believe I have to defend myself for supporting the Cowboys.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
I’ll support you man....lol. I like Jason Garrett, always have, but he gets no more rope as they build the team. I loved Landry, but eventually he had to be fired too. I have liked almost every coach we’ve had, even Switzer. The only coach I did not like at all was Parcells. I grew to hate his smug face so much on that Giant sideline that I hated him in Dallas, too...never supported him.

I enjoy every season and foster a connection to every team each year, win or lose. Foolish, I guess.

I'm like you, I connect with the team and I'll admit to having a few favorite players on the team BUT if one of them has a great game and we still lose I'm disappointed. I've never let my dislike of a certain player, coach or owner get in the way of my love of the team. No one player, coach or owner has that power. If fans want to give a single person the power to take the love of the team or sport away, that's their hang up. not mine

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We are the most dysfunctionally ran team in the NFL.

It’s amazing we can even field a competitive team. It’s an illustration how talent trumps all. We’ve assembled enough talent to remain relevant.

But until we build a great defense and or have an elite QB we will remain pretenders not true contenders.

And I’ve only been supportive of Garrett because I’m not sure who’d make a better puppet?

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Hey guys, the Cowboys are trying to get Jerry out of personnel matters.

This started about 6 or 7 years ago.

In Dallas processes can last a bit longer. Give it another 10 years or so. He is still working on the S position.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
We are the most dysfunctionally ran team in the NFL.

It’s amazing we can even field a competitive team. It’s an illustration how talent trumps all. We’ve assembled enough talent to remain relevant.

But until we build a great defense and or have an elite QB we will remain pretenders not true contenders.

And I’ve only been supportive of Garrett because I’m not sure who’d make a better puppet?

I guess we're dysfunctional enough to field a competitive team and assemble enough talent to be relevant though right.. Try being a fan of a truly dysfunctional team over their team history. There are only a handfull of teams who have won more than 2 SB's over the course of the team history. There are many who have only won 1 and many who have never one a single SB. Is that a measure of dysfunctional? Try being a Lions fan, a Browns fan, a Jet fan and find out. Dysfunctional is a bit dramatic don't you think

JustChip

Reaction score
Here or there?

Their list of free agents from the last four years is dreadful. They spent over 8MM on three guys last year who sucked. It would have been wiser to spend 8MM on one, better, player.

Their philosophy is flawed.

I'm going to play devil's advocate here. The idea that you diversify your limited resources to mitigate risk is sound. There's no guarantee spending $8mm on 1 player will be anymore successful than spending it on 3 players, but the risk is greater with only 1 player, if for no other reason than injury risk (e.g., Brandon Marshall). Sure, in hindsight there are single players that can be looked back on and be said we shoulda, coulda, but decisions aren't made in hindsight. Last year's FA signings were a failure, but I would argue it was the specific signings, not the 3 vs. 1 approach.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Can’t believe I have to defend myself for supporting the Cowboys.
Right ...

My dad told me early on that anyone can easily root for a winner but it builds character supporting a frustrating loser. That was before Dallas had ever made the playoffs and Baylor hadn’t won a conference championship in 50 years.

Supporting your local dormant /average team or Alma Mater is very humbling. It truly defines Diehard.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
I'm going to play devil's advocate here. The idea that you diversify your limited resources to mitigate risk is sound. There's no guarantee spending $8mm on 1 player will be anymore successful than spending it on 3 players, but the risk is greater with only 1 player, if for no other reason than injury risk (e.g., Brandon Marshall). Sure, in hindsight there are single players that can be looked back on and be said we shoulda, coulda, but decisions aren't made in hindsight. Last year's FA signings were a failure, but I would argue it was the specific signings, not the 3 vs. 1 approach.
:thumbup:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I guess we're dysfunctional enough to field a competitive team and assemble enough talent to be relevant though right.. Try being a fan of a truly dysfunctional team over their team history. There are only a handfull of teams who have won more than 2 SB's over the course of the team history. There are many who have only won 1 and many who have never one a single SB. Is that a measure of dysfunctional? Try being a Lions fan, a Browns fan, a Jet fan and find out. Dysfunctional is a bit dramatic don't you think
Now that’s where the true Diehard fans are!!

And what we’ve become this era. We are no longer comparable to the greater teams this era.

Last edited:

Whyjerry

Reaction score

I think he means under the modern era. There were great years in the franchises history. This team today is dysfunctional for sure. Not nearly as bad a Cleveland and Oakland. Although, I think the arrow is pointing up for those team. If I am being honest I have no idea how this season works out. Zero idea. I can see a scenario where Dak plays great, Zeke is a near MVP, and the defense is good. I can also see a scenario where a hard schedule and inept coaching leads to early losses, then mutiny, and then the Jerry excuse machine fires up again. 5 wins or 14. Neither would shock me.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think he means under the modern era. There were great years in the franchises history. This team today is dysfunctional for sure. Not nearly as bad a Cleveland and Oakland. Although, I think the arrow is pointing up for those team. If I am being honest I have no idea how this season works out. Zero idea. I can see a scenario where Dak plays great, Zeke is a near MVP, and the defense is good. I can also see a scenario where a hard schedule and inept coaching leads to early losses, then mutiny, and then the Jerry excuse machine fires up again. 5 wins or 14. Neither would shock me.
Right!!
The Browns have great history too.

We have an entire generation of Cowboy fans now who have never witnessed a championship appearance.

25 years could turn to 30 or 40 years.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
So you admit the Cowboys might have a pretty good team at 14-2? Or would that be just the “talent” on their own going out there and winning 14 games?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Look at all these fans we have from New England and East coast cause those teams sucked for decades when they grew up. Same thing can happen here.

Last edited:

northerncowboynation

Reaction score

Yes I understood what he meant. I know there are Cowboy fans, younger than I am who have never experienced the joy of winning a SB. I don't know how this season will work out for the team either. I don't want to know. That's why I watch the game. I'm not knocking fans for being frustrated. Heck I've been a Red Sox fan for 50 years. They went nearly 100 years without a ring. I don't think teams are dysfunctional. Just a group of players who either find chemistry and put it together for a few years on and off the field and celebrate wins while holding each other up through losses. I actually believe this team does it the right way. Of course I've never been graced with being in the locker room

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Look at all these fans we have from New England and East coast cause those teams sucked for decades when they grew up.

Same thing can happen here.
Die, you're fixated on one team, one sport. Or maybe two, Baylor and the Cowb's. Before there was a Brady, NE was impoverished. Do you believe that Brady and Bell will always be around? They'll go through a few years of abject poverty again just like the period before Brady and Bell. That's sports man. You strike pay dirt for a few years then come up fools gold for a few. Great dynasties? Try the NY Yankees of the 40's, 50's. The Edmonton Oilers of the 70's and 80's. The Chicago Bulls of the 80's. The Celtics of the 60's and 70's. They all won consistently over a 10 year span then slipped a few years after. Heck the Oilers haven't been relevant since then. Nor the Bulls. Nor the Celts. So add the Cowboys of the 70's and 90's in there. FA has made for fewer and fewer dynasties in every sport

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Die, you're fixated on one team, one sport. Or maybe two, Baylor and the Cowb's. Before there was a Brady, NE was impoverished. Do you believe that Brady and Bell will always be around? They'll go through a few years of abject poverty again just like the period before Brady and Bell. That's sports man
That was my point. New England suked for their first 30+ years.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
That was my point. New England suked for their first 30+ years.

Every team dynasty in sports has gone through great periods and low periods. Those great periods are shorter and shorter because of FA. Corner stone players leave for greener pastures or retire. Even in individualistic sports (tennis, golf) all greats lose their skills with time. Boxers too. Two of my favorite icons in all of sports, Jack Nicholas and Ali. It's life man