Video: Cowboys Practice Report 7/22 with Broaddus and Cavanaugh

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Because safety has been an issue for a long time and right now they haven't done anything to address it. Kazee and Neal coming off big injuries doesn't inspire confidence that the spot is fixed....... Neal isn't even a safety here, they have him at LB.

Fair to feel that way but none of that has anything to do with Kazee's size. And his size shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.
We don't know anything about how they'll play this year from one practice. Let's get more info before we start drawing conclusions.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
ultimately this team did a good job in the draft and off-season to try and tackle the DT, LB, and CB issues and get some vet and young guys in there. Safety was the one spot they didn’t get in the draft but I think you can live with it for now.

the offense is good enough that the defense just needs to be better than last year which I think they will with the players they brought in

CowboysRule

Reaction score
Because safety has been an issue for a long time and right now they haven't done anything to address it. Kazee and Neal coming off big injuries doesn't inspire confidence that the spot is fixed....... Neal isn't even a safety here, they have him at LB.
They signed two different players, players who have started in this league to address it. You have to understand, the whole defense needed work. You can't have all-pro's at every position. If we can at least have serviceable players at safety it's a huge upgrade.

Secondly, and this was the point of my previous post, we've had one day of training camp. To say we have problems here or there based off of that, is kind of crazy. It would also be crazy to think everything is fine. All I was saying is give them a chance before proclaiming they aren't working out (or that a player is amazing *cough* Nashon Wright *cough*)

Carson

Reaction score
I’ll remain optimistic on the safeties and not write them off just yet.

Wilson has a knack for making plays. Kazee is a proven vet in Quinn’s scheme. Him only being 5’11 hasn’t hindered his NFL production.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Based off of Broaddus saying Kazee looks too small and Kearse looks too big? We've had one day of camp. Let's see how they actually play and not just judge them based on how tall they are. I don't think 5'11 is that small for safety either. Just my opinion there.

This is one reason I don't listen to Broaddus too much. Or at least I disregard what he says on some of his opinions. He has too many of these opinions, that he just tosses out there for no reasoning behind it.

You know, kind of like some on here. :lmao:

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Can not wait to see these young guys in an actual game. So much young promising talent on defense that severly lacks above average talent

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I mean this isn't a UDFA. The guy has played in the league. He's the same size he was in ATL. Not sure why BB would even make such a comment and really unsure why anyone would give it a second thought.

Yeah, the greater concern with Kazee should be how he looks returning from a major injury.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
Based off of Broaddus saying Kazee looks too small and Kearse looks too big? We've had one day of camp. Let's see how they actually play and not just judge them based on how tall they are. I don't think 5'11 is that small for safety either. Just my opinion there.

5’11 is perfectly average for a safety. In fact, I’d challenge Broaddus to name one good or elite FS that is, say, Israel Mukuamu’s size. There aren’t any.

Tyrann Mathieu is the best FS in the league right now IMO, and he’s only 5’9.

gimmesix

Reaction score
If having a short FS is the biggest gripe we have about our secondary we are making great strides forward.

It's not as if the whole secondary's made up of sub 180cm'ers.

That's true. I'm not worried about his height. I don't consider a great addition, but he should be a good one if he's healthy ... definitely an upgrade to what we had out there last year. Ideally, the young safeties we added will develop to take over since they are built more like safeties, but the better-built player certainly is not always the better player.

gimmesix

Reaction score
5’11 is perfectly average for a safety. In fact, I’d challenge Broaddus to name one good or elite FS that is, say, Israel Mukuamu’s size. There aren’t any.

Tyrann Mathieu is the best FS in the league right now IMO, and he’s only 5’9.

The problem with the taller guys is often gather speed. With their long legs, they can cover a lot of ground and run as fast or faster than the shorter guys, but unfortunately, they aren't just running in a straight line. They have to be able to gather and redirect quickly without losing speed.

That will be the challenge for both Mukuamu and Coyle. If they are running toward the sideline and the receiver cuts inside, if they can't redirect quickly, their size doesn't do much good.

gimmesix

Reaction score

Neal isn't coming off injury. He's coming off a major injury history, though.

Kazee actually had been relatively healthy until last October. But it is a major injury he's trying to come back from, one where players often don't seem to return to their previous form until two seasons later.

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
They signed two different players, players who have started in this league to address it. You have to understand, the whole defense needed work. You can't have all-pro's at every position. If we can at least have serviceable players at safety it's a huge upgrade.

Secondly, and this was the point of my previous post, we've had one day of training camp. To say we have problems here or there based off of that, is kind of crazy. It would also be crazy to think everything is fine. All I was saying is give them a chance before proclaiming they aren't working out (or that a player is amazing *cough* Nashon Wright *cough*)

I don't expect (nor want) all-pros at every position. We don't need all-pros on the front line as long as they can block, I'm happy. The rest (I think) should be all-pro and a master at their craft...

conner01

Reaction score
I mean this isn't a UDFA. The guy has played in the league. He's the same size he was in ATL. Not sure why BB would even make such a comment and really unsure why anyone would give it a second thought.
Maybe he shrunk since he left Atlanta lol

conner01

Reaction score
I don't expect (nor want) all-pros at every position. We don't need all-pros on the front line as long as they can block, I'm happy. The rest (I think) should be all-pro and a master at their craft...
I want all pro at every position but that’s an impossible dream
If you’ve got 2-3 all pro on a team that’s pretty great

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Neal isn't coming off injury. He's coming off a major injury history, though.

Kazee actually had been relatively healthy until last October. But it is a major injury he's trying to come back from, one where players often don't seem to return to their previous form until two seasons later.

From the contract he signed, I expected Kazee to be more of a mid season return from IR. Being healthy earlier is better, but still, he may not be in form this year regardless.

We didn't do enough at FS, IMO. And Robinson was supposed to be one of the few potential options at FS. Doh!

817Gill

Reaction score
Nice nugget about Bossman at around the 3:53 mark, him and Wright being productive players right away would make us deep at CB overnight.