Video: Cowboys Practice Report 7/22 with Broaddus and Cavanaugh

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Fair to feel that way but none of that has anything to do with Kazee's size. And his size shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.
We don't know anything about how they'll play this year from one practice. Let's get more info before we start drawing conclusions.
I agree about size. Just look at honey badger, small safety but makes plays.

I don't think it has anything to do with 1 practice. Most fans aren't excited for safety play until thet see it improved. It could very well be where Kazee and Wilson are the best duo in the league but some are reserved about safety play because of injuries etc.

I think its legitimate for some to feel that way

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
They signed two different players, players who have started in this league to address it. You have to understand, the whole defense needed work. You can't have all-pro's at every position. If we can at least have serviceable players at safety it's a huge upgrade.

Secondly, and this was the point of my previous post, we've had one day of training camp. To say we have problems here or there based off of that, is kind of crazy. It would also be crazy to think everything is fine. All I was saying is give them a chance before proclaiming they aren't working out (or that a player is amazing *cough* Nashon Wright *cough*)
You aren't understanding what i wrote. Kazee and Neal are both coming off of tough injuries so yes folks are going to be reserved when it comes to that position. They want to see it first and lets be honest, at this point, safety is the weakness on defense right now. DL and LB have improved but safety is one we have to see

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Yep. S and DT were neglected in the offseason. Even with our boatload of comp picks to spend.
You could say safety but no way you can say DT wasn't addressed. They drafted multiple guys and brought in Urban and Watkins. If you are saying they didn't sign a probowler, ok but they addressed the position

plymkr

Reaction score
Micah Parsons showing the talent and the versatility. If he keeps this up he will no doubt be in play for defensive rookie of the year.

#11 Micah Parsons :flagwave:
Dude you got to be a generational talent to beat Knight one on one.

But seriously, all jokes aside, I think we got Ray Lewis 2.0 and that will change our whole defense in a big way. I'm really excited about him.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Hahaha.

I can’t believe people convinced themselves we did a decent job fixing S this off-season.
That 90th spot should go to a camp body or ST guy. The fact they are bring in a guy that doesnt play teams doesnt speak to well for Kazee

Satchel89

Reaction score
I mean this isn't a UDFA. The guy has played in the league. He's the same size he was in ATL. Not sure why BB would even make such a comment and really unsure why anyone would give it a second thought.
I agree...I like Broaddus but I mean its the second day of Training Camp

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
You could say safety but no way you can say DT wasn't addressed. They drafted multiple guys and brought in Urban and Watkins. If you are saying they didn't sign a probowler, ok but they addressed the position

They got a 3-4DE in the 3rd, a blob in the 6th, and signed two vets both under 2mil. That's warm bodies to put on the field at DT, not "addressing DT".

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Hahaha.

I can’t believe people convinced themselves we did a decent job fixing S this off-season.
Well in the defense of the safeties....its day 1, and the biggest gripe he had was their "size". I was expecting to hear how they sucked but instead I just heard about how short they are and how big they are........

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Safeties being a problem again :facepalm:

This front office never learns

This is why people that think the defense is just going to turn it all around in one year are kidding themselves. The middle of the defense, the middle of the field is still being manned by Jaylon Smith, LVE, Wilson, and who? Kazee?

That is about as weak a middle of a defense as you can possibly get. Good QBs and good coordinators will pick apart the middle of our defense with those clowns in there. Something has to be done for it to change. Taking Smith out and putting in Parsons full time and signing Hooker ect....ect..... would be steps in the right direction. Can Hooker play? AT some point we have to address these positions with young talent.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Well in the defense of the safeties....its day 1, and the biggest gripe he had was their "size". I was expecting to hear how they sucked but instead I just heard about how short they are and how big they are........

No, he was saying they didnt look good either. That was the hole point. The middle of our defense still appears to be:

LVE, Jaylon, Wilson, Kazee? Thats about as bad as it gets.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
They have been a problem for 15 years at least and all we did was add kazee.
Wilson played well last year. Why is he at fault for the previous 14 years? Question....is it fair to say wait until training camp is fully underway before we call safety a problem?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

817Gill

Reaction score
We already had Hill and Gallimore, and OD may be your idea of a DT, but not mine. Classic Tweener.

NFL on Osa:
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/osa-odighizuwa/32004f44-4911-8654-a883-7963338320c8
"Tweener" with combination of size and athletic ability that lands him somewhere between base end and three-technique.
Osa on Osa: How he fits: At 6-2, 282, Odighizuwa is expected to play the three-technique tackle position in the Cowboys’ 4-3 base defense. Odighizuwa should be able to work into the mix as a rookie with his playing time depending largely on the overall health at the position and how quickly he’s able to pick up Dan Quinn’s system.

Fast evaluation: “I feel like this is a scheme that I will benefit from being in,” Odighizuwa said. “And a scheme that is going to be able to use my tools and my skill set to the best of my abilities because they are a vertical attack, get up the field and get in the backfield. That’s the style of play I like to play.

Now Quinn: “Quinn also recently revealed that he plans for Odighizuwa to initially play in a “nickel DT” role where they want to “really push him as a rusher”, which, to me, is the perfect allocation of his current skill set.”

Forget what pundits scouted him as, he was drafted to be a 3T specifically. Wrestling background puts the cherry on top as well.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Osa on Osa: How he fits: At 6-2, 282, Odighizuwa is expected to play the three-technique tackle position in the Cowboys’ 4-3 base defense. Odighizuwa should be able to work into the mix as a rookie with his playing time depending largely on the overall health at the position and how quickly he’s able to pick up Dan Quinn’s system.

Fast evaluation: “I feel like this is a scheme that I will benefit from being in,” Odighizuwa said. “And a scheme that is going to be able to use my tools and my skill set to the best of my abilities because they are a vertical attack, get up the field and get in the backfield. That’s the style of play I like to play.

Now Quinn: “Quinn also recently revealed that he plans for Odighizuwa to initially play in a “nickel DT” role where they want to “really push him as a rusher”, which, to me, is the perfect allocation of his current skill set.”

Forget what pundits scouted him as, he was drafted to be a 3T specifically. Wrestling background puts the cherry on top as well.

Osa was drafted to be a nickel 3T. Not big enough to hold up against the run as a 3T in the NFL. Olinemen will have 30lbs on him. Certainly not the guy to keep our LBs clean. We spent #75 on a role player. Half a DT.