Video: Cowboys Practice Report 7/22 with Broaddus and Cavanaugh

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
No, he was saying they didnt look good either. That was the hole point. The middle of our defense still appears to be:

LVE, Jaylon, Wilson, Kazee? Thats about as bad as it gets.
Ok well if that's what he was saying why didn't he say how they looked bad? Instead he focused on their size.

Sheepherder

Reaction score
I mean this isn't a UDFA. The guy has played in the league. He's the same size he was in ATL. Not sure why BB would even make such a comment and really unsure why anyone would give it a second thought.
Does BB rub anybody the wrong way besides me?

817Gill

Reaction score
Osa was drafted to be a nickel 3T. Not big enough to hold up against the run as a 3T in the NFL. Olinemen will have 30lbs on him. Certainly not the guy to keep our LBs clean. We spent #75 on a role player. Half a DT.
Wasn’t the conversation about if we invested in DT? He’s a DT lol. If you meant invested in run stopping DT’s I never saw that in the posts but my mistake. I just wanted to clarify the DE vs DT talk because the post I replied to had you correcting a poster about Osa being a 3-4 end as he’s more a 4-3 DT, which is where he’ll spend most of his time albeit probably in a pass-rush role.

If he can be effective in that then he’ll fill a much sorely needed role. Pass rush up the middle has been lacking since DI.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Wasn’t the conversation about if we invested in DT? He’s a DT lol. If you meant invested in run stopping DT’s I never saw that in the posts but my mistake. I just wanted to clarify the DE vs DT talk because the post I replied to had you correcting a poster about Osa being a 3-4 end as he’s more a 4-3 DT, which is where he’ll spend most of his time albeit probably in a pass-rush role.

If he can be effective in that then he’ll fill a much sorely needed role. Pass rush up the middle has been lacking since DI.

A rookie half a DT is not addressing our needs at DT.

817Gill

Reaction score
A rookie half a DT is not addressing our needs at DT.
Nothing is gonna be solved now we have to wait till camp. I’m very confident Gallimore is a starting DT in this league and has the potential to be a good one.

If only one other DT we brought in between Urban, Bohanna, and Watkins proves to be a solid run stopper (Urban has been a good run-stopper his whole career including last year, I don’t anticipate him falling off a cliff at only 30).

I really feel as though we will have a solid starting duo. The depth is more of an if, but if Osa is the guy he was drafted to be then we at least have a rotational nickel pass rusher. That in itself is a huge upgrade from last year.

Not to mention a huge upgrade schematically. This defense will be much easier to grasp and plays to the actual strengths of the players unlike last year. Don’t underestimate that.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Ok well if that's what he was saying why didn't he say how they looked bad? Instead he focused on their size.

So when he says we have a big problem at safety you think that means they looked good?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
So when he says we have a big problem at safety you think that means they looked good?
Roy, I'm not really in the mood to play this game. Its not about what I "thought" he meant. I'm basing it on WHAT HE said......he brought up there size. You're arguing over nothing. Absolutely nothing. Give it a rest sometimes man damn......

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Roy, I'm not really in the mood to play this game. Its not about what I "thought" he meant. I'm basing it on WHAT HE said......he brought up there size. You're arguing over nothing. Absolutely nothing. Give it a rest sometimes man damn......

What am I supposed to give a rest? The fact that you cant admit they werent looking good out there and ONLY think its related to size? What does the size matter if they are out there balling? He's probably watching them get beat out there and talking about the size factor as one of the reasons why. One guy is too big and one guy is too small.

Dont over think it. They suck. Thats the point.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
What am I supposed to give a rest? The fact that you cant admit they werent looking good out there and ONLY think its related to size? What does the size matter if they are out there balling? He's probably watching them get beat out there and talking about the size factor as one of the reasons why. One guy is too big and one guy is too small.

Dont over think it. They suck. Thats the point.

My point that you missed in all of this is that I wish they would've said more than just bring up there "size"....all this other stuff is irrelevent. You're questioning something that doesn't need to be questioned. I don't care about their "size". I'm not able to attend these practices so I rely on those guys to tell me how the players are playing.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
My point that you missed in all of this is that I wish they would've said more than just bring up there "size"....all this other stuff is irrelevent. You're questioning something that doesn't need to be questioned. I don't care about their "size". I'm not able to attend these practices so I rely on those guys to tell me how the players are playing.

Cmon my man. I know you have homer tendencies, but lets be real. They are 100% saying so far that the safeties look pathetic. If you cant deduce that then Im not sure what to say. Lets just move on.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Osa was drafted to be a nickel 3T. Not big enough to hold up against the run as a 3T in the NFL. Olinemen will have 30lbs on him. Certainly not the guy to keep our LBs clean. We spent #75 on a role player. Half a DT.

Osa's undersized status for a DT concerns me as well. If they find a good way to use him, great. But till he proves he can handle the position and not give up the run, I'm skeptical. Personally I suspect he was a too little too late attempt to add beef and strength to the DT position.
But I hope I'm wrong and he proves to be worthy of the position.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Osa's undersized status for a DT concerns me as well. If they find a good way to use him, great. But till he proves he can handle the position and not give up the run, I'm skeptical. Personally I suspect he was a too little too late attempt to add beef and strength to the DT position.
But I hope I'm wrong and he proves to be worthy of the position.

Osa seems a good size for a 3-4DE who you move to 3T on passing downs. Even there, I'd probably want him to bulk up a little, and expect he well. But that isn't giving us a balanced run/pass 3T. A passing down 3T isn't what we needed, IMO.

But maybe Quinn plans on going predominantly 3-4, in which case that kind of tweener at DE is a good thing. But it still isn't a DT. It's a tweener.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Cmon my man. I know you have homer tendencies, but lets be real. They are 100% saying so far that the safeties look pathetic. If you cant deduce that then Im not sure what to say. Lets just move on.
Well I’m a self anointed homer……so you saying that is not offensive to me…and this is the last time I’m going to say it….I wish they would’ve said something more about them then their size. That’s if. Nothing left to say.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Well I’m a self anointed homer……so you saying that is not offensive to me…and this is the last time I’m going to say it….I wish they would’ve said something more about them then their size. That’s if. Nothing left to say.

They did say more you just dont want to hear it. They said point blank that we have big problems at safety. Which means they look bad.

But....................Im not buying it yet. If Kazee is healthy I like him and if they sign hooker that increases the odds that one of those two guys will have a good season. Wilson I have always liked.

stiletto

Reaction score

I don't think they'd be looking to bring in Hooker if the staff thought they were ok at Safety. It at least says "we'd like to have some more options". If Hooker is healthy, he'd upgrade what we have right off the bat. I think it would be a good low-risk signing.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don't think they'd be looking to bring in Hooker if the staff thought they were ok at Safety. It at least says "we'd like to have some more options". If Hooker is healthy, he'd upgrade what we have right off the bat. I think it would be a good low-risk signing.
I don't disagree. There's clearly a concern with safety from the coaches. Didn't deny that.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
McClay really liked Hooker in the draft and wanted to bring him in every time he's been available. He just didn't pass his physical, supposedly they got a call that he can now.

stiletto

Reaction score
McClay really liked Hooker in the draft and wanted to bring him in every time he's been available. He just didn't pass his physical, supposedly they got a call that he can now.

Yeah whatever the case, if he can play it is certainly worth a low risk contract to take a flier... no problems with it at all. I'm kind of thinking with their injuries Hooker+Kazee will = one good player through the year at FS.