Signed by Cowboys Cowboys Re-Sign QB Kellen Moore

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Comment A: Playing early could harm Rush.

Your comment: Playing early didn't harm Dak.

My comment: Dak and Rush are very different prospects with very different high level football experiences and pedigrees.

Your comment: I never said they were comparable and oh here is a random comment about Rush outplay in Moore which everyone agrees with and wasn't part of the discussion that I'm going to insert here as a decoy.

How about posting actual comments and not your revisionist history?

Like your false claims that anyone said they were "identical"?

haleyrules

Reaction score
The key word there is "preseason". Facing real blitz schemes of All Pro players is different than vanilla reads against 2nd and 3rd stringers.

I love Rush, we all do. But if I was a coach I wouldn't bet the season on a UDFA being able to deliver under pressure when he has never been asked to do so. Even if we had a once-in-a-lifetime player do it last year.
And Moore??

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The key word there is "preseason". Facing real blitz schemes of All Pro players is different than vanilla reads against 2nd and 3rd stringers.

I love Rush, we all do. But if I was a coach I wouldn't bet the season on a UDFA being able to deliver under pressure when he has never been asked to do so. Even if we had a once-in-a-lifetime player do it last year.

And the reason Kellen Moore sucked under the same conditions with better players around him?
:huh:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I didn't say he was. I simply ferreted the notion that Rush would be "ruined" by having him play in arguably the most talented offense in the entire league.

There's no disputing that he handled what was asked of him during the preseason much better than Moore ever did.

Regular season is much different. He could easily get ruined if he had to play for a long stretch IMO. You don't throw a kid out there if you want to bring him along. Clearly the team is interested in trying to develop him. It would be counter productive to follow that path, IMO.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
That was a dark and scary couple of days with the GOAT off the roster.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Regular season is much different. He could easily get ruined if he had to play for a long stretch IMO. You don't throw a kid out there if you want to bring him along. Clearly the team is interested in trying to develop him. It would be counter productive to follow that path, IMO.

IMO, there's no harm at all in getting him the experience if you're forced into that situation. And given the ability he's shown, you might actually win a few games.

Vs a proven loser, shown to be incapable of playing at the NFL level. Lacking the requisite physical tools to compete. A player who will never get any better. The definition of a progress stopper.

In my opinion, there is no risk of "ruining" anything.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I like the fact that the Cowboys didn't just keep Moore on the initial 53.

In my roster prediction I suggested cutting him and then re-signing after somebody was moved to IR.

I think there are other veterans each year at cut-day that they could do this with. They probably could have done it with Durant because no team is going to offer Durant a big contract to change teams.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why not? They proved to be the best two QBs on the team. I just don't get the thinking that somehow Moore is going to all of a sudden save the day if he has to play. Rush proved he is much more likely to give the team a chance to win. He is the one that should play if Dak goes down.

I don't believe the coaches grade players just on preseason game performance, for one. Plus, there's a world of difference between preparing for second or third stingers in a preseason game where nobody's game planning and you're looking at relatively vanilla defenses and going in live in a big game with no snaps in preparation against Steve Spagnulo's blitz-party. They're not going to want to risk Rush's development, and they are going to want a veteran presence in the QB room for both Dak and Cooper.

And I know nobody wants to hear it, and that just saying what I think the rationale is makes me the poster boy for Kellen Moore when the reality is I think he's a bottom-third NFL backup. But that doesn't change reality. This writing was on the wall all along, and the team said as much coming out of camp. Cutting Moore was only part of the puzzle of getting the roster together. He's going to be the backup until they think Rush is actually ready to start games whether fans like it or not. That's the hurdle: whether or not the team thinks he's ready to start an NFL game. Not whether or not he's better than Kellen moore.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I think there are other veterans each year at cut-day that they could do this with. They probably could have done it with Durant because no team is going to offer Durant a big contract to change teams.

Totally agree. I could also see Moore being cut at midseason if a roster spot is needed and they think Rush is ready by then.

Kaiser

Reaction score
And he crashed that bus.

He was better than Cassell and most of Weeden's starts that year, and had 400 yards passing his last game. But why let facts get in the way of a good rant.