RELEASED Cowboys release WR Martavis Bryant

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The gimmick didn't generate as much enduring buzz as they hoped, but wait, there's more!

For our next parlor trick, we'll sign the son of a former Cowboy...
I don't understand the notion that the Cowboys thought a guy they put on the practice squad and didn't talk about the rest of the season would generate an enduring buzz.

I understand Jerry & family, are promoters, and often the promotion doesn't equate to substance, but Bryant just seemed like a low cost, low risk opportunity to see if a player who at one time was moderately productive had anything left.

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't understand the notion that the Cowboys thought a guy they put on the practice squad and didn't talk about the rest of the season would generate an enduring buzz.

I understand Jerry & family, are promoters, and often the promotion doesn't equate to substance, but Bryant just seemed like a low cost, low risk opportunity to see if a player who at one time was moderately productive had anything left.
Yeah, I never did understand why some made a big deal out of this whether positive or negative.

joseephuss

Reaction score
lets hope they are adding Zay Jones or this release doesnt make sense.
What doesn't make sense? Bryant is 32 years old and hasn't played since 2018. He was brought in only to be used in case of emergency, which never occurred. He also can brought back at any time.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
People don’t view it as a swap. But more so Bryant was released so Jones could fit under the # before camp
Nothing wrong with churning the bottom end of the roster, sometimes you get lucky.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
It’s pretty funny that our biggest free agent signing is a player that everyone couldn’t wait to get rid of after the 2022 season.
I'm convinced Jerry only did it to stick it to critical fans.

shabazz

Reaction score
That would imply that Jerry actually cares what the fans think.....we're just a pus filled boil on his buttock that he lances from time to time

9 billion dollar asset is what drives him.

shabazz

Reaction score
Hey......you're talking about our alleged "Red Zone" threat that was gonna solve our problems there, lol

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He did it because we have nothing at RB. I don’t think Jerry is any happier than we are about it. He did release him after the 2022 season. We simply had no choice but to bring him back. He was the best option available and he was cheap.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Thought it was a smart signing my self.
No risk, possible reward.

Praxit

Reaction score
..this guy didnt even get to put on any pads n helmet...lol..

DFWJC

Reaction score
Unless we already have a handshake deal, the Chiefs pose a real threat.
Rashee Rice is on very thin ice there so his spot could open up

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with churning the bottom end of the roster, sometimes you get lucky.
True, but there was zero reason to get all excited about his signing, just a footnote in the history of the Dallas Cowboys....

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

This is when they check the physical status of players after the off-season. Players that come in out of shape or that didn't recover from injury as well as expected...get cut. If they though he could play, it wouldn't matter what they're doing or not doing with other players.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
That would imply that Jerry actually cares what the fans think.....we're just a pus filled boil on his buttock that he lances from time to time

9 billion dollar asset is what drives him.
He does care what fans think of him. I posted the audio of a call to the Ticket from 23 years ago from an angry fan that held Jerry accountable. He raged at the caller, and it was the the beginning of the end of Jerry and the Ticket. He closed his own forums for the same reason. He damn well does care what the fans say, but he does not take any criticism as constructive, only combative.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
He did it because we have nothing at RB. I don’t think Jerry is any happier than we are about it. He did release him after the 2022 season. We simply had no choice but to bring him back. He was the best option available and he was cheap.
He had many much better choices he could have made. He was light years from the best option - he was the absolute worst option. It's clown show stuff to the max.

To bring Zeke back so that he counts twice against our cap, and is clearly several years washed up is far too idiotic of a call for Jerry to make unless it was to stick it to the fans as a "screw you".

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He had many much better choices he could have made. He was light years from the best option - he was the absolute worst option. It's clown show stuff to the max.

To bring Zeke back so that he counts twice against our cap, and is clearly several years washed up is far too idiotic of a call for Jerry to make unless it was to stick it to the fans as a "screw you".
We had to go cheap so that ruled out Henry and Jones. Who else was a better option than Zeke? He had over 900 yards rushing/receiving last season with 5 TDs on a bad NE team.