Cowboys Rumors: 'More Progress' Made for Dak Prescott Contract Than Amari Cooper

cern

Reaction score
Cowboys Rumors: 'More Progress' Made for Dak Prescott Contract Than Amari Cooper
TIM DANIELSMAY 7, 2019

hi-res-bb3299f79a93ca3e723429fb8a25d074_crop_north.jpg

Richard Rodriguez/Getty Images

The Dallas Cowboys are reportedly working toward a contract extension with quarterback Dak Prescott that would "approach $30 million annually."

Clarence E. Hill Jr. of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reported the update Tuesday and noted the Cowboys have made "more progress" toward a new deal with Prescott than with wide receiver Amari Cooper, whose demands have been "shockingly high."

Hill also noted the Cowboys "seem to be nonplussed" about making Prescott the highest-paid player in franchise history.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...e-for-dak-prescott-contract-than-amari-cooper

:popcorn:
Does hill understand the meaning of nonplussed?

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
6 year extension, $180M, $35M signing Bonus, with $78M guaranteed - reported as $30M per season contract. Actual Numbers below:

Structure - Cash Flow
2019 - $2M salary, $35M signing bonus
2020 - $26M salary fully guaranteed - automatically restructured in March, 2020 to $1M salary + $25M restructure bonus;
2021 - $17M salary fully guaranteed
2022 - $18M salary
2023 - $19M salary
2024 - $30M salary
2025 - $35M salary

Salary CAP hits & Dead Money if cut or traded

2019 - $9M ($2M salary + $7M prorated Bonuses) - Dead Money = $78M

************* Begin Contract Extension ************************************************

2020 - $13M ($1M salary + $12M prorated Bonuses) - Dead Money = $71M
2021 - $29M ($17M salary + $12M prorated Bonuses) - Dead Money = $58M
2022 - $30M ($18M salary + $12M prorated Bonuses) - Dead Money = $29M

************* 3rd year out - save $14M on CAP by cutting or trading Dak ***********

2023 - $31M ($19M salary + $12M prorated Bonuses) - Dead Money = $17M

************* 4th year out - save $30M on CAP by cutting or trading Dak ***********

2024 - $35M ($30M salary + $5M prorated Bonuses) - Dead Money = $5M
2025 - $35M ($35M salary) - Dead Money = $0

Summary
Current Year salary of $2M
+ 6-year, 180M extension = 7-year, $182M contract, which averages $26M per season over 7 years.

First 4 years cash payout of $98M = $24.5M per season average - Cowboys can opt out of contract after 4 seasons, and pay less than $25M per season for Dak's next 4 seasons.
Final 3 years cash payout of $84M = $28M per season average (what Kirk Cousins signed for in 2018 is what Cowboys would pay in 2023 if they choose to keep Dak.)

Conclusion - This is a good deal for the Cowboys in current market conditions
I like the cut of your jib.

PhillySpecial

Reaction score
I’m kind of a broken record but I’m really not sure this guy is a starter let alone bank breaking earner.

I’m not being funny or inflammatory when I say if I ran the team I would bring in serious competition.

I mean **** romo lost his job to a rookie. If dak puts up ten points 3 games in a row again I would’ve loved to bring in Ryan Fitzpatrick for a spark.

Idk man we gave this 4th rounder the keys to the franchise and he put the sucker on cruisecontrol and is hogging the radio

Is that a Tastykake Butterscotch Krimpet as your avatar?

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
If they don't extend Cooper then the trade was a waste of a first round pick. I expect it will get done.
It will. Agent just playing that game they're supposed to play to get their clients the most they can get.

Beaker42

Reaction score
TIM DANIELSMAY 7, 2019

The Dallas Cowboys are reportedly working toward a contract extension with quarterback Dak Prescott that would "approach $30 million annually."

Clarence E. Hill Jr. of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reported the update Tuesday and noted the Cowboys have made "more progress" toward a new deal with Prescott than with wide receiver Amari Cooper, whose demands have been "shockingly high."

Hill also noted the Cowboys "seem to be nonplussed" about making Prescott the highest-paid player in franchise history.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...e-for-dak-prescott-contract-than-amari-cooper

We won’t resign Cooper. He thinks a little too highly of himself.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
TIM DANIELSMAY 7, 2019

Anything below 30 would be great.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
i can’t wait to see what Dak and this offense looks like without Zeke. Oh wait....we already have.

Well, you draft his replacement. If we let Zeke walk its not like we are going to run Rod Smith out there.