Cowboys schedule is brutal

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This won't work.

Zeke running left or Zeke running right is not an offensive strategy. Defenses won't just allow you to run at will for 16 games. Won't happen.

You need the threat of a passing game. You need to throw the ball successfully. If for no other reason than to move the safeties back and have LB's think you can throw behind them.

There has to be some unpredictability to offensive game-planning. If you do nothing except run Zeke left, run Zeke right, run Zeke up the middle for 16 games, the season is already lost.

Linehan has to find the weakness of the opposing defense and exploit it. If that means running it 40 times, then run it 40 times. If it means throwing it 40 times, then throw it 40 times. Do what must be done to win.

But starting every game with Zeke and a cloud of dust will win you nothing against a good defense. They aren't idiots. They know you will try to run the ball and react accordingly.
The run only works when you over match your competition. Or if your in the lead.

But what happens if we’re behind or face tougher defenses who shut down the run?

Will we even have an effective 2 minute drill?

This is the NFL. You can’t be one dimensional.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In 2014 and 2016, we were a two dimensional team and hard to defend. The 2018 team is going to have to prove they can be effective consistently in the pass game because this team has to prove they're a "pick your poison" offense.

Every D that the Cowboys will face with be focused on the run first, up to selling out to stop it, and forcing the game more on the QB. But if Dak can respond well to that early on, he can force them into a "pick your poison" D and actually open up the run game.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The strategy is clearly going to be to run the ball, play ball control and try to force turnovers.

The only way the offense will be throwing more than 25 passes a game, is if something with the running game or defense is going wrong. The strategy going into a game is never going to be to air it out.

The problem will lie, in situations where the team is forced to get into a shootout, either because of committing too many turnovers or because the defense is struggling. Then they will be in some trouble.

Otherwise is going to be Zeke and a cloud of dust. Which can definitely win a lot of games. The truth is, if the OL stays healthy, our offense should be able to be as efficient as it was in 2016. Hopefully the defense can be better than 2016’s.

The Dak dream offense.....The Dallas Wall and Zeke take care of business for 16 games and keeps Dak starting for us at QB....PATHETIC!
Hey DakGoat a QB must be able to move his team with his arm now and then if not all game long....is this something Dak can do?
Not even the staunchest Dak supporters believe that he can succeed or keep his Job without the true talents of the offense Zeke and our Offline carry the load.. for example take a good look at what happened last season once Zeke went out ..embarrassing to say the least for Dak.... ....amazing stuff down at our Big D.....Pathetic!!!!
And this is the QB who is going to get a Jimmy Garoppolo money contract ya GL with that!!!!! lol

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So, we have a 16-0 talent and a 2-14 coaching staff?

How do you think that’s going to shake out?

Do we have enough Elite talent to overcome our coaching staff?
They have to fit together, I have every belief Linehan will produce a offense like he did in 2016. But will he stick to what works r slowly morph back into his very readable base offense as he did in 2017. Will he show tendencies as the season progresses, he alone could be the difference in a 7-9 record or a 14-4 record. Then there's Rod, but with Rod I think there a person behind him to mold his thinking. If healthy and aggressive, the defense is capable of allowing the offense to win games. there's just too many variables for guessing a record, but I hope for the best.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
The best way to gauge where the team is, is to play teams that you think are better......those are the games I look forward to, not dread them.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The best way to gauge where the team is, is to play teams that you think are better......those are the games I look forward to, not dread them.
Agree, you will never become a better tennis player until you play better tennis players.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Agree, you will never become a better tennis player until you play better tennis players.
I agree with an exception and why I like college schedules because you play lesser non conference opponents to start the season usually which builds up confidence especially important with a younger team and unknown quantities.

Starting the season schedule we have could produce an 0-3 or 2-4 type start for example. Without a veteran QB and team in place what does that do to the physche and confidence of the team? It might have a snowball effect.

CPanther95

Reaction score

I'm OK with the quality of my team being a surprise until the season is over. I'll gauge how good they were with the benefit of hindsight.

Until then, I'll root for the easiest path to, and through, the playoffs. :)

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree with an exception and why I like college schedules because you play lesser non conference opponents to start the season usually which builds up confidence especially important with a younger team and unknown quantities.

Starting the season schedule we have could produce an 0-3 or 2-4 type start for example. Without a veteran QB and team in place what does that do to the physche and confidence of the team? It might have a snowball effect.
That powder puff schedule to start the season went away for the contenders because money talks.

None of these HC's wants a showdown the first game of the season and used to be they could build toward it but when the coaches salaries became so large and the money was there from TV, it was no longer about what they wanted. But they still stick that nothing game deeper into the season and I refuse to watch that crap.

I don't know where the Boys will be after the first quarter, could be 1-3 because they will not have their 2nd best DL and there seems to be a shift in how the season starts.

Back in Landry's day, the offenses were slow to build and defenses well ahead to start the season and that was pretty much across the board for every team and that seems to have reversed with the rule changes. That does not bode well for the Boys because that D is going to be a work in progress if the starting lineup is intact, which is doubtful.

Billyd

Reaction score
LETS face it, The Cowboys are not going to get any breaks in scheduling and thats okay..The better way to address the scheduling is to realize teams will not always be their level of last year, and they dont play us often so just like the Cowboys, they have to figure out a way to beat us.

The Cowboys historically play well against all teams in the Nfl...although I agree that Dak will have to use his arm to beat some teams, i also realize advantages in the scheduling.

1. THE defenses will not have a good feel for our receivers or the tight ends and to some degree our running game. SURE they will try and stop Elliot..Dont fall for last years output running the ball as the norm. Or that the league figured anything out. Gosh how smart was Dallas In 2016 to become ignorant in 2017.. Execution is always the difference between success and failure in the Nfl..That or just better players

2. If Dallas goes 4-2 or 5-1, Even the Next 4, and 4-2 thats 10-6 and very doable..the first six games are key, Splitting with Philly is fine..Remember Dallas on a down year was 5-1 in conf play last year...This Is overly positive but i think doable..The middle stretch is the toughest but philly twice in the last six are the two Toughest games..

Sydla

Reaction score
I'll be honest. I saw the thread title then saw who started it and my first reaction was, "oh boy, laying the groundwork early for a Garrett defense in December/January."

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That powder puff schedule to start the season went away for the contenders because money talks.

None of these HC's wants a showdown the first game of the season and used to be they could build toward it but when the coaches salaries became so large and the money was there from TV, it was no longer about what they wanted. But they still stick that nothing game deeper into the season and I refuse to watch that crap.

I don't know where the Boys will be after the first quarter, could be 1-3 because they will not have their 2nd best DL and there seems to be a shift in how the season starts.

Back in Landry's day, the offenses were slow to build and defenses well ahead to start the season and that was pretty much across the board for every team and that seems to have reversed with the rule changes. That does not bode well for the Boys because that D is going to be a work in progress if the starting lineup is intact, which is doubtful.
For the big teams yes but not all. Even then it’s usually only 1 big non conference game.

Of course I follow Big 12 more and they overall have weak non conference schedules.

Anyway, how do you think this team responds if they start in the hole like that?

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
I'll be honesr than t. I saw the thread title then saw who started it and my first reaction was, "oh boy, laying the groundwork early for a Garrett defense in December/January."
Garrett doesn't need anyone's help when coming up with excuses, his "book of excuses" is thicker than the Farmers Almanac.

CPanther95

Reaction score
LETS face it, The Cowboys are not going to get any breaks in scheduling and thats okay.

Nobody gets breaks in scheduling.

This season the Cowboys schedule is about as favorable as it could be. The short weeks around the Thursday games are close to ideal as far as the opponents placed there.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For the big teams yes but not all. Even then it’s usually only 1 big non conference game.

Of course I follow Big 12 more and they overall have weak non conference schedules.

Anyway, how do you think this team responds if they start in the hole like that?
Not good, I do not see this team as a comeback resilient one. They're front runners and do not respond well to adversity.

My belief is that has to do with confidence in the coaching staff to be able to counter adversity. Marinelli's tendency is to play soft if aggressive blows up and goes to his BDBD just to slow them down, not stop them. Linehan is not a good tactician, if it's not working, plan B is just more of plan A.

One thing players on all of these teams know, whether they've got the right coaching or not. They've been around coaching all their lives and they talk among themselves.

That's not to say they can't improve as the season progresses but they will have to have health on their side. This team is really shallow in the talent pool.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Not good, I do not see this team as a comeback resilient one. They're front runners and do not respond well to adversity.

My belief is that has to do with confidence in the coaching staff to be able to counter adversity. Marinelli's tendency is to play soft if aggressive blows up and goes to his BDBD just to slow them down, not stop them. Linehan is not a good tactician, if it's not working, plan B is just more of plan A.

One thing players on all of these teams know, whether they've got the right coaching or not. They've been around coaching all their lives and they talk among themselves.

That's not to say they can't improve as the season progresses but they will have to have health on their side. This team is really shallow in the talent pool.
Nicely done!
Plan B is more of Plan A.. lol

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'll be honest. I saw the thread title then saw who started it and my first reaction was, "oh boy, laying the groundwork early for a Garrett defense in December/January."

We need to put him in the skybox and bring Jethro and Son down on the field. Jethro knows football and sonny knows personnel. Suit up Stephens son. He can sling the ball around . He wears #9. Call the plays. They’ll get the team fired up and make the right adjustments. Win or your cut!! Lol
Pig soooooeeeeeee

Last edited:

CPanther95

Reaction score

As long as Garrett has coordinators and position coaches under him, he has his defense locked up.

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
The schedule is easy. We'll wipe the floor with the division this year. My biggest concern is who we are going to play in the Super Bowl. I think it's Pittsburgh, honestly, the patriots are finished.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The schedule is easy. We'll wipe the floor with the division this year. My biggest concern is who we are going to play in the Super Bowl. I think it's Pittsburgh, honestly, the patriots are finished.
Awesome!! Can’t wait . Back to Atlanta.