Drafted by Cowboys Cowboys Select DT Neville Gallimore with the 82nd Pick (3rd Round)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
This guy is almost like a Maliek Collins clone when collins came out. At least marinelli wont be here to ruin him. Never seen a kid have his best year be his rookie season and regress after that.

I personally would have taken terrell lewis as an edge rusher if we were going to go d line help but still not a bad pick and strengthens a really weak group inside.

I don't disagree about Marinelli's deployments but breaking both feet is hard on a big man's mobility.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
In order for a team to win a Super Bowl is it a requirement for them to have a probowl caliber center? The answer is no. So yes it will be fine enough
What was that u were saying about cowboys not being concerned about center? Lol

too funny!!

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
What was that u were saying about cowboys not being concerned about center? Lol

too funny!!

Last pick of the 4th round I’m completely cool with that. You would have had us using one of our top 3 picks on one lol

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Last pick of the 4th round I’m completely cool with that. You would have had us using one of our top 3 picks on one lol
Sure that would have been great. I almost don’t like the 4th round pick as they will be less likely to address it with a high pick next year. But odds are much better now we will hit.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Release Crawford now
can't afford to risk losing what we already have. I'm not sold on the suspended guys we have or the older FA we brought in. I wanted Crawford gone long ago, but he's a need at this point. If he gets some stupid mild/serious injury then let him go.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I mean, really, how does anyone here get away with pretending to know this kind of thing... no specific offense to you, gimmesix, b/c we see this kind of thing all. the. time.

If you're not at practice... and forgive the presumption that you're not... and you haven't seen the player on the field... then you're guessing. You just are.

Further, even if you did happen to have access to have eyes on the player, not every poster on this board has credentials as a paid coach or scout at even the college level that anyone should be especially persuaded by the diagnosis... and even then if you were one, coaches and scouts are like economists... no shortage of diversity of opinion.

So, I call BS on all the Hill naysaying at least until this coaching staff gets the chance to work with him. We all know that the previous staff, particularly on the defensive side of the ball, had their very specific ideas of what they want each player to do within the scheme, and it's just a guess nothing more but at least one other option here is that the player just didn't fit/execute the scheme to their satisfaction. Maybe nothing changes with the new group, but the kid is still just a kid. He's still got opportunity. I'm gonna root for him, even as some perhaps out of their desire to be able to claim some football wisdom, have dismissed him.

Same with Gallimore, who comes into the league with a not-so-different scouting report, stats and measurables from Hill's.

If one, the other, too.

While I agree that somethings fans say about a player such as having a poor attitude are impossible for us to really determine, we can tell from their play on the field whether they hustle and what problems that they have on the field.

That's why I have trouble with the lazy or attitude complaints about Hill. He fell asleep during a speech, but other than that, we really don't have evidence to support those claims. When he's on the field (both in college and for us last year) he doesn't appear to be not giving effort, he chases plays to the very end, etc.

What he has to work on also can be easy to see by studying his plays. Initial quickness was supposed to be a strength, but he didn't really show it last year. That could be because he was overthinking it instead of just getting off the ball. In college, he showed that first-step quickness, but then didn't know how to direct it to get to the quarterback or running back. That quick step at his size is what got him drafted by us. Instead, he was slow to get off the ball and a problem that he had in college of getting redirected/turned around by linemen continued to cause him problems in the pros.

But we knew that he was in need of a lot of technique work when we drafted him. He was taken much more on projected ability than proven ability.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Cmon.....you made a comment that the cowboys obviously aren’t worried about center. This is after the third round. They come out and actually trade up in the very next round to grab a center. Lol

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
This was a pick that was hiding in plain sight. The Cowboys love taking DL from the old Big 12 North schools that they think are undervalued because they played in mismatched defensive schemes.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Gallimore is one of the most starkly defined prospects I've seen in a while. Rarely do you see guys with this obvious of strengths and this obvious of weaknesses.

Pluses:
-One of the fastest DTs in years; 97th percentile speed.
-Bruce Feldman certified weight room freak; benches 500, squats 800
-High motor, gym rat, RKG

Minuses
-Stiff as a board, 3rd percentile agility.
-Plays high and loses all leverage. Weight room strength disappears on the field.
-No power to bull rush and few moves means he either wins immediately with straight-line speed or he loses.

He is the classic north-south athlete, like the Darren McFadden of DTs.

Oklahoma grossly misused him IMO. He's a straight-line 3T rocket: you put him on a guard's outside shoulder and make them block his fastball. Instead, they put him at NT and had him stunting every down. I think he could look very different if you put him in the correct scheme.

Best case IMO you get Javon Hargrave, worst case you get Christian Covington. Either way, I'm fine spending a 3rd to find out. His work ethic and athleticism alone ensure he'll at least stick as a rotational tackle - I just can't see him going full Trysten Hill - so that does help limit the risk.

Last edited:

DanA

Reaction score
Where was Donald, coming out of college? You've got to begin somewhere.

Coming out of College.....Donald ran in the 4.6's and pushed out 35 bench presses. BUt the big difference was production:

Donald:28.5 tackles for loss, 11 sacks his final year
Gallimore: 6.4 tackles for loss, 5 sacks

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Coming out of College.....Donald ran in the 4.6's and pushed out 35 bench presses. BUt the big difference was production:

Donald:28.5 tackles for loss, 11 sacks his final year
Gallimore: 6.4 tackles for loss, 5 sacks

Schools, schemes, etc... You cannot judge and compare players off stats alone.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Schools, schemes, etc... You cannot judge and compare players off stats alone.
In this case you can. Simms putting NG in same arena as AD shows how little he knows about talent. If anything, a stunting D like OU’s should have led to MORE SACKS for NG and he got half of what AD did HIS last season at Pitt. Elliott was the clear choice and we took the lesser player. Still a great draft though. Solid A to maybe even a tick around A+.

Status
Not open for further replies.