Cowboys Should Consider Trading for Rosen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
As I mentioned earlier, this is not "my scenario", per say. The idea of a 3rd was reported earlier so it's OK if you don't believe that a third is realistic. Just say that but understand, the 3rd was not my idea. It's what was reported as Rosen's likely trade value right now.
I don't know how much of a "report" it was as it was just people throwing stuff on walls with the Kyler hype. Peter king said something about a 3rd, but it wasn't from any real info, just his own speculation if someone called on draft night and offered a 3rd, if the Cards would take it. Rosen for whatever he showed with a 1st yr HC and 2 different OC, was a still a top 10 pick a year ago and will get them at worst a 2nd for next year and probably additional midround this year. They're rebuilding and having a 1st and two 2nds next year gives more options than settling for only a 3rd this year.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I don't know how much of a "report" it was as it was just people throwing stuff on walls with the Kyler hype. Peter king said something about a 3rd, but it wasn't from any real info, just his own speculation if someone called on draft night and offered a 3rd, if the Cards would take it. Rosen for whatever he showed with a 1st yr HC and 2 different OC, was a still a top 10 pick a year ago and will get them at worst a 2nd for next year and probably additional midround this year. They're rebuilding and having a 1st and two 2nds next year gives more options than settling for only a 3rd this year.

Pretty easy to find, just have to google it. Report was based on evaluations of former player and I think a GM. Either way, point is it wasn't my opinion, the 3rd round pick.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
You can come up with one of these for every backup in the NFL and over half the starters. I mean, there is a reason they aren't top 5 QBs.
This is his scouting report. It’s not mine so tell me again how you can come up with this for every player? :facepalm:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
This is his scouting report. It’s not mine so tell me again how you can come up with this for every player? :facepalm:

Every player has a scouting report. Go look it up. BTW, I noticed you only posted part of it. I know this guy, I looked at his scouting report and interestingly enough, you only posted the negative. Tell me again how you didn't write it. Obviously, you don't have the sand to be honest about the actual scouting report. Don't try and tell me what you don't know. I know you too, you do or say anything to try and be right. You have no interest in actual discussion. Do us both a favor and take your facepalm to another poster. You literally waste my time and I can't, for the life of me, figure out why you even respond to any post I make. I know you have to know that I don't value your opinion.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Every player has a scouting report. Go look it up. BTW, I noticed you only posted part of it. I know this guy, I looked at his scouting report and interestingly enough, you only posted the negative. Tell me again how you didn't write it. Obviously, you don't have the sand to be honest about the actual scouting report. Don't try and tell me what you don't know. I know you too, you do or say anything to try and be right. You have no interest in actual discussion. Do us both a favor and take your facepalm to another poster. You literally waste my time and I can't, for the life of me, figure out why you even respond to any post I make. I know you have to know that I don't value your opinion.
I.E. he’s a jerk in the locker room. You’ve never played team sports obviously so I understand you haven’t a clue.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I.E. he’s a jerk in the locker room. You’ve never played team sports obviously so I understand you haven’t a clue.

I've played enough to know that every locker room has a jerk, and usually more then one. So what, maybe he is, maybe he isn't, who cares? How many back up QBs did you play with who had enough sway to gain enough spot light to actually make their opinions count? How many young guys, in your own vast athletic career did you play with that weren't stupid and didn't get straightened out in a year or two? Again, your opinion means nothing. Tell me again how you posting something is going to make me believe that you know jack crap about jack crap, when I see you post stupid crap every single day, without fail?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am not pretending anything. I am telling you that Rosen doesn't fit his Offense. You can except that or not. Either way, I think this is a pretty short story here. If you are right, then Rosen will not be traded and he will be the starter for the Cards and he will do well in Kingbury's Offense. If you are wrong, then he won't. Rather then boar everybody to death, why don't we just see how it turns out. If you are right, you can come back and tell me "I told you!". If I am right, I won't do that, I won't need to. You will know and that will be enough.

lol - you've repeatedly argued as if I wrote something I did not. You can pretend yet again that you did not and have not done that, but it's there in print. As for Rosen fitting Kingbsbury's offense, we will have to settle for the fact that we disagree. Kingsbury has repeatedly shown that he doesn't have to have one particular style of QB to be successful.

All of that is secondary to the actual question though, which is whether Rosen makes sense for the Cowboys. Considering neither Rosen's statistics or record in either college or the pros is as good as Dak's, I can't understand why we would want to pay the price necessary to acquire a QB one year removed from being the #10 overall pick in the draft. That wouldn't be cheap. If there was strong, irrefutable evidence to support the notion that he would be a clear and significant upgrade over Dak, that would be different. But what is that evidence? We can't even point to upside based on physical gifts - he falls short of Dak on that front as well.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
lol - you've repeatedly argued as if I wrote something I did not. You can pretend yet again that you did not and have not done that, but it's there in print. As for Rosen fitting Kingbsbury's offense, we will have to settle for the fact that we disagree. Kingsbury has repeatedly shown that he doesn't have to have one particular style of QB to be successful.

All of that is secondary to the actual question though, which is whether Rosen makes sense for the Cowboys. Considering neither Rosen's statistics or record in either college or the pros is as good as Dak's, I can't understand why we would want to pay the price necessary to acquire a QB one year removed from being the #10 overall pick in the draft. That wouldn't be cheap. If there was strong, irrefutable evidence to support the notion that he would be a clear and significant upgrade over Dak, that would be different. But what is that evidence? We can't even point to upside based on physical gifts - he falls short of Dak on that front as well.

You are the one arguing. I'm just telling you you are wrong. We will see who is right. Is this something that you can not accept? It's the most fair thing in the world. One of us is wright and one of us is wrong. Lets just watch and see which is which.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Not sure I buy all the criticisms about Rosen regarding his leadership, intangibles, locker room presence, etc... I've read the same reports/rumors everyone else has, but I'm unconvinced yet. I'm even less convinced that anyone here knows the real truth about this. Regardless, there have been some very successful QB's in the league that also have this reputation.

I agree with the previous opinions that this is not a trade the front office will make, so it's all academic- but it would certainly be a huge upgrade in the backup QB position.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I've played enough to know that every locker room has a jerk, and usually more then one. So what, maybe he is, maybe he isn't, who cares? How many back up QBs did you play with who had enough sway to gain enough spot light to actually make their opinions count? How many young guys, in your own vast athletic career did you play with that weren't stupid and didn't get straightened out in a year or two? Again, your opinion means nothing. Tell me again how you posting something is going to make me believe that you know jack crap about jack crap, when I see you post stupid crap every single day, without fail?
Any team that has a QB jerk doesn’t for long.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Any team that has a QB jerk doesn’t for long.

Yeah, because you've played so much right? A lot of good QBs are Jerks, just look at a guy like roethlisburger. Lots of people said Troy was a jerk. Do me a favor and go see if you can get them to listen to your story about Not For Long. At least you will be busy doing something else rather then posting drivel.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't know what the market will be for him. The idea of a 3rd, is not mine. It's the price that various articles believe the Cards can get for him, based on discussion with others. If that is accurate, then it doesn't matter what the Cards ask for, it only matters what teams are willing to pay. That is why I said "lets say a 3rd".

What the Cardinals gave up and what they can get back might be two very different things.

I agree wholeheartedly with your last sentence, although they're probably smart enough to know that Rosen has value as a backup, if little else. In view of what they gave up to acquire him and what they might be limited to receive in a trade, I think a wise move might be to settle for keeping him as their backup. Turning down a prospective #3 pick for retaining a competent backup probably wouldn't be a poor decision, all things considered. ;)

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You are the one arguing. I'm just telling you you are wrong. We will see who is right. Is this something that you can not accept? It's the most fair thing in the world. One of us is wright and one of us is wrong. Lets just watch and see which is which.

I just said we will have to agree to disagree on Rosen. That wasn't the point I was talking about you fabricating an argument over. But you know that, you just want to keep pretending.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I agree wholeheartedly with your last sentence, although they're probably smart enough to know that Rosen has value as a backup, if little else. In view of what they gave up to acquire him and what they might be limited to receive in a trade, I think a wise move might be to settle for keeping him as their backup. Turning down a prospective #3 pick for retaining a competent backup probably wouldn't be a poor decision, all things considered.

I agree, they are probably never going to realize the value of what they gave up for him. Having said this, if you were Kingsbury and you did, in fact, want to take Murray as the first overall pick in this years draft, would you keep Rosen around or would you ship him off? Honest question because I realize that there could be two schools of thought there. Keep in mind that Kingsbury will not be saddled with any of the blame for Rosen. That pick happened before he arrived so he has a free hand to basically do whatever he wants there. If it were me, I would not keep Rosen. Regardless of what some say, Rosen doesn't fit Kingsbury's Offense IMO. I don't see the value of keeping him around. I do acknowledge that he could be a player that gains some value if teams get down to it and lose a QB, that is certainly possible, but other then that I just don't see any upside to keeping him.

I don't know what the cards will do but if the price were a 3rd, I would certainly think long and hard about doing that deal if I were Jerry.

That's just my opinion.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Yeah, because you've played so much right? A lot of good QBs are Jerks, just look at a guy like roethlisburger. Lots of people said Troy was a jerk. Do me a favor and go see if you can get them to listen to your story about Not For Long. At least you will be busy doing something else rather then posting drivel.
No player said Troy was a jerk. Only idiot fans maybe. You are really looking stupid here.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I just said we will have to agree to disagree on Rosen. That wasn't the point I was talking about you fabricating an argument over. But you know that, you just want to keep pretending.

Your story, you tell it. I told you several posts ago that I didn't intend to argue with you. Yet here you are. Just let it go and lets see who is right. You say it doesn't matter who or what the QB is in Kingsbury's Offense. I call BS and say that's not gonna work in the NFL. Lets see who is right and who is wrong.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
No player said Troy was a jerk. Only idiot fans maybe. You are really looking stupid here.

Well, I'm gonna say that if you are looking at me and saying I look stupid, then I'm going to apologies to the entire board because I gotta believe that if anybody would know about somebody looking stupid, it's hand down, without a close second, you. I feel like you must be wright on this one.

Everybody, you have my most sincere apology.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
You have to trade Rosen if you draft KM, his value on the block won’t be any higher than it is now. I wouldn’t do it if I were Dallas. Rosen hasn’t shown enough to risk a 3rd rounder on when this team has greater needs other than QB.

Verdict

Reaction score
Now before everybody losses their mind, consider: Cardinals are rumored to be going after Murray. That probably leaves Rosen as expendable. Opinions on what it costs to get Rosen are all over the place. I think it's reasonable to think that you might be able to get him for a 3rd Rd pick.

Now a 3rd Rd pick is valuable for sure but lets say they would trade him for a 3rd, would you do this? While Rosen was with the Cards, their Offense was horrible and their OL was worse. Certainly not all of it was on Rosen but some of it was. He needs to be developed but lets say you traded for him. What you get is a kid with a lot of natural ability to throw the ball. Rosen has talent, there is no question about that. The real question is, does he have the rest of it? I don't think anybody can really know for sure what Rosen is, in that Cardinal Offense. Just too many holes and not enough talent around him. However, if you could trade for him, he immediately becomes the best backup option the Cowboys have on the team and who knows how good he might be behind our OL and with our skilled players? At the very least, he becomes a guy who can be a solid backup IMO. But more then that, he provides more leverage in negotiations with Dak. If the Cowboys go out and get Rosen, they immediately have an option at QB if Dak is unwilling to sign a reasonable deal or decides to hold out. It gives the Cowboys an option and gives them a year to let him learn the Offense. The Cowboys would not be in a position where they have to accept any terms Dak's agent gives them. Could very well drive a lower cost associated with Dak in negotiations. If he ends up being your starter, you have 4 years of a Rookie deal which allows you to use that cap to strengthen the team around a Rosen, if it comes to that. There are a lot of positives I can see to a trade for Rosen, assuming you don't have to spend a lot to get him. He might not be a bad option for the Cowboys to consider. He serves a purpose on the team. He provides a lot of flexibility if he has to become the starter. He gives you a very manageable cap number for another 4 years, he has starting experience and he can provide leverage in any Dak negotiation. He might be worth a 3rd round pick if he can save you from having to spend 30 million for 6 years as opposed to 25?

I am going to try to give you a substantive, reasonable response to your post instead of the knee jerk crazy responses that we do often see on this board.

1. He may be available “cheap”. Yes a 3rd round pick would be cheap for a top 10 pick, but there are several factors weighing on that. A. He seems to be a jerk with a personality disorder. B. As a top 10 pick his cap hit is significant for a rookie. C. He hasn’t been all that successful. D. I don’t think the demand for him will be all that high. He was overdrafted.

2. He’s a cancer so I don’t think the team would want him. His cap hit is too high to be a backup. So unless he is being brought in to compete with Dak, it’s probably not feasible.

I like the way you think outside the box, but on this particular deal I would take a hard pass on Rosen in a trade. If they cut him that might be a different deal. I would not give up draft capital for him, or pay him a lot of money. I think he may end up being viewed as a T. Owens cancer before all is said and done.

Status
Not open for further replies.