Cowboys should look to buy low on Trey Lance

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Injuries are one of the reasons it hasn’t worked out for Trey Lance. He was pushing Jimmy G his rookie year then suffered a finger injury. In week two in 2021 he suffered a season ending ankle injury. Injuries have set him way back.
He's not injured now and couldn't beat out Sam Darnold for the #2 QB spot.

Hadenough

Reaction score

Mike McCarthy was instrumental in Aaron Rodgers development. Why not take a swing if the price is low? The Cowboys need a contingency option if Dak fails to get it done this year with a stacked team.

They should of brought in Darnold when he was available. It wouldn't of cost them anything. Trey Lance doesn't look good at all and if Shanahan can't fix him I wouldn't even attempt bringing him here.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He's not injured now and couldn't beat out Sam Darnold for the #2 QB spot.
You have to figure injuries have played a part in him not panning out. All the missed games have stunted his development and he’s lost some confidence.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
In case you have not heard, Lance is trash.

Add to it Lance's ability to pout and sulk.
49er coaches were quick to praise Lance for being classy and understanding.
That means Lance was really in an emotional tailspin.

Who wants an entitled diva named Lance?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wow. A proven, reliable #2 QB, a 2nd round pick, and Joseph...for a guy who will soon be out of the league. :facepalm:
Got a response from you didn’t it. :muttley:
Sorry been on the road for 12 hours with 4 hours sleep. 8 more hours to go tomorrow.
stopped for the night.

How do you know he will be out of the league. Oh, you don’t

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
The Cowboys are trying to win a Super Bowl this season. I am not sure Lance is better than Grier right now. Hard pass.
I would gamble on Lance over Grier because his tools may be a pathway to a higher ceiling.

It's crazy some are thinking of letting Rush go for Lance. That's nuts.

But taking a flier on Lance for Grier. Heck I would churn that part of the roster. Unless any of the forum thought that Grier was the second coming of Tony Romo.

Also if truly sucks that bad, then we could probably stash him on the PS to ride the patience wave.

If we can give Will Grier three camps, I'm sure we can take long shots on others.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Lance has a lot of physical ability - good size, strong arm, good mobility. His biggest issue is that he hasn't played enough football. He has started 23 games since he left high school, and at least two of those games he didn't finish due to injury. Trading for a guy like him to keep on the bench doesn't serve a purpose - he needs to go to the XFL or USFL and play. A lot.
I think he could flourish in the CFL.

bewp7

Reaction score
he must be really really bad if the 49ers have no faith in him after all they give up to draft him

basel90

Reaction score
Looks like A bust , but could outplay Dak with his athleticism. Would be worth a cheap pick and give Dak some competition

kskboys

Reaction score
Looks like A bust , but could outplay Dak with his athleticism. Would be worth a cheap pick and give Dak some competition
He's extremely unathletic. That's one of the knocks on him. Don't mistake speed for athleticism.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Mike McCarthy was instrumental in Aaron Rodgers development. Why not take a swing if the price is low? The Cowboys need a contingency option if Dak fails to get it done this year with a stacked team.

Definitely a hard NO.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
No thanks….If you can’t grab the job in SF with Shannahan, you aren’t going to cut it elsewhere.

kskboys

Reaction score
He would be exactly the type of player the Jones boys would kick the tires on. 1st round talent, young and would not be too cost prohibitive contract-wise. Low risk, high reward is a very Jerry Jones thing.

I wouldn't be averse to it. Just depends on how long Prescott's extension will be and how much it will be. Then you have to take into account the picks it would take to assume his rookie deal. They need to always be developing a future QB in my opinion.
Except if we trade for him it's not low cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.