Signed by Cowboys Cowboys sign CB Saivion Smith

Cannibal_Cowboy

Reaction score
The ignorance of some fans is astounding :rolleyes:.

Although this guy may never pan out in the NFL, some athletes just need time to develop.
Case in point a few guys such as :

Brain Waters -
Was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Cowboys, then cut in training camp.
Went on to play and develop in NFL Europe. Then became a 6 time pro bowler in the NFL for both the Chiefs and Patriots.

Cameron Wake -
Went undrafted, then signed and cut by the Giants.
Played and developed in the CFL. Then became a 5 time pro bowler and is a member of the 100 sack club.

This is only 2 examples of the many guys who have gone undrafted and had to play in other leagues to develop before coming into their own in the NFL. (9 time NFL pro-bowler Warren Moon anyone????)
Smith may never develop, but he has the athletic abilty - and with more time and coaching he very well could.
Just because Mel Kiper has counted a guy out doesn't mean the right coaching staff will.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Surprise signing here. I remember him with Alabama and was okay at best once inserted in the starting lineup in college. A lot of Bama fans was pissed at his performance in the championship game with Clemson two years ago and was considered a head scratcher when he declared for the draft afterwards especially getting torched by Higgins/Ross all night.

Of course he went undrafted and eventually ended up in the XFL. Should have stayed in college and improved his gameplay. Kid has the talent to play this game but I don't see this signing anything other than being depth/special teams/ camp body until Savion's light click on
and it may well be all it is. but people have to think every signing must be a big name or the "championship" jokes set in.

Silverstar

Reaction score
Your 5th CB is one injury away from being your 4th and getting 10-15 snaps a game in defense. This is where I prefer Canady at that spot

I don't want him to be our 5th CB either. More than likely two CB's will be drafted anyway, since Awuzie and Lewis contracts are up next year. If Smith even makes the PS he'll probably just stay there in case of injuries.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Before everyone just writes off Saivion Smith, consider that he was a 5-star recruit out of high school, who likely would have benefited from staying in college his senior season. He came out early as a junior, and although projected as a 4th-5th round pick, he didn't get drafted. If he had stayed in school, might he have been a late-round draft pick in 2020?

I'm not suggesting he is the answer the Cowboys have been looking for at CB, but I am willing to look at him as if he's an extra late round draft pick the Cowboys picked up. Late round draft picks have low odds to make an impact, but he could be a decent addition to the roster. I'll keep an open mind on him. He'll need to make an impact on special teams to make the roster. I wonder if he was a targeted by the Cowboys new special teams coach.

kskboys

Reaction score
The ignorance of some fans is astounding :rolleyes:.

Although this guy may never pan out in the NFL, some athletes just need time to develop.
Case in point a few guys such as :

Brain Waters -
Was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Cowboys, then cut in training camp.
Went on to play and develop in NFL Europe. Then became a 6 time pro bowler in the NFL for both the Chiefs and Patriots.

Cameron Wake -
Went undrafted, then signed and cut by the Giants.
Played and developed in the CFL. Then became a 5 time pro bowler and is a member of the 100 sack club.

This is only 2 examples of the many guys who have gone undrafted and had to play in other leagues to develop before coming into their own in the NFL. (9 time NFL pro-bowler Warren Moon anyone????)
Smith may never develop, but he has the athletic abilty - and with more time and coaching he very well could.
Just because Mel Kiper has counted a guy out doesn't mean the right coaching staff will.
Before everyone just writes off Saivion Smith, consider that he was a 5-star recruit out of high school, who likely would have benefited from staying in college his senior season. He came out early as a junior, and although projected as a 4th-5th round pick, he didn't get drafted. If he had stayed in school, might he have been a late-round draft pick in 2020?

I'm not suggesting he is the answer the Cowboys have been looking for at CB, but I am willing to look at him as if he's an extra late round draft pick the Cowboys picked up. Late round draft picks have low odds to make an impact, but he could be a decent addition to the roster. I'll keep an open mind on him. He'll need to make an impact on special teams to make the roster. I wonder if he was a targeted by the Cowboys new special teams coach.
Smith is always going to have limitations in coverage due to some stiffness. He might work in a zone or press, but he's not going to be a 6 time pro bowler.

IMO, he was overrated due to going to ALA. ALA players have been overrated in the draft for several years running.(Not all of them, obviously.)

Still, it costs nothing to bring him in and see if he's learned anything. No way he should've come out when he did.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

Im turning over every stone at this point for DB help,, if that means just taking a look, than yes.
You look at teams like the Falcons with some big WRs.. Julio Jones, Calvin Ridley, and if they can find a way to get Treadwell involved.. just saying you have to have plenty of depth and matchup options in your secondary on most sundays, but when you play teams like Atlanta, you get exploited if you don't.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
33 inch arms. 6-1. Maybe in the box SS?

I don't know why people have to get all snarky. We're building a 90 man roster. That means lots of guys who don't seem to be NFL grade. But a few of them usually do surprise. Let's hope he's one of them.
They think their cute.