Signed by Cowboys Cowboys sign Cobb

conner01

Reaction score
The way the guys on Talkin' Cowboys talk about Allen Hurns... they recently saw Hurns in the Cowboys cafeteria with other players. They say it was very obvious to them that everyone loves that guy and want to see him return.
I’m sure his team mates love him
By all reports he’s a great guy
Just too expensive for the spot he will have on the depth chart

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I think he meant Randall "Tex" Cobb

Tex.jpg

LeonardSmalls.gif

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Jones is actually playign on his 5th year option this year. He'll be a UFA after this season.

But I agree with you: I really like how we've approached this off-season. Value, value, value, and prioritize your own first.

Oh yes! I forgot that Zeke was drafted the year after Jones. My mistake. So, that means that Zeke will be on his option next year. So, that just leads more importance to why we need to focus on resigning our own first before we make massive contracts. And yes, we have done quite well this offseason. Cobb is good value for the position he plays. Sure, he's not flashy like Antonio Brown is. But, he gets the job done. I might add that, from reading the comments from his recent tweet, the Packers fans seem to be rather upset that he's leaving. So, he seems to be someone the Packers liked.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I’m sure his team mates love him
By all reports he’s a great guy
Just too expensive for the spot he will have on the depth chart
I understand the money point but not all decisions are about money.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Yeah I have my concerns about Dak but I'm more concerned with Garrett and Moore right now.
I’m excited about Moore. The one thing that’s held this team back is the offensive stuck in the mud, run on 1st down philosophy. Moore’s going to bring a totally different look to this offense. It may take a few games for the team to start clicking, but I’m expecting great things offensively this season. Screw all the haters.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
So...5M for a backup is better value than 5M for a guy who will actually start? Huh.

You aren't understanding.

We aren't talking about the cowboys at all.

Moncrief would start on more teams than Cobb, and Patterson would start on every NFL team on special teams.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
To your point Fur

before last season Cobb had played in 60 of his last 64 games in the four seasons prior. Anyone claiming they know Cobb for certain will get injured early in the season is uh...... dumb

I didn't know that stat, but that's a good bit to point out. Additionally, just because a player has nagging injuries and such doesn't mean to say that it will occur again. American football is funny like that. Additionally, the contract seems to be built in case of an injury, and I'm sure the Joneses know the details about the injuries and all better than we do. It is their job to sort that out. They did well with Jaylon, didn't they? I think it's time we start to learn to realise that maybe the Joneses might actually know what they're doing in terms of these sorts of things.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
What does he give you? a Solid zone cover CB, and nothign else. He doesnt have the speed to deal with the faster WRs. People like to tout about him not giving up much. Well he plays RCB Awuzie was getting much of the better WRs. But teams went after Jones late in the yr and the playoffs, and he was toast. And IDK if people paid attention but once teams focused on Jones, Awuzie started to shut them lesser WRs down. He started to show better. Jones is nothing special.

Where to begin...

Jones is one of the best man-to-man corners in the league. We rarely ask him to play zone. A solid zone cover CB and nothing else? Did you watch any games last year?

Jones ran a 4.36 and is one of the faster DBs in the league.

Jones didn't get the lesser WRs. It's 2019: NFL offenses move their guys around - and long gone are the days where the X is always the teams best receiver He drew Hopkins a lot more than Chido did, for example.

Last edited:

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Carr spent 6 years here as a #1. We can talk about the deal, but he certainly played well enough to hold down the job. He also went on to play well for Baltimore as well. The problem with Carr is, he was never supposed to be the #1 guy - that was supposed to be Claiborne.

Fair point about Claiborne, but it is highly debatable as to whether or not he actually lived up to the massive amount of money we spent on him. Additionally, am I the only one who seems to recall his nickname? Hint, it's something that goes with scrambled eggs.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I’m excited about Moore. The one thing that’s held this team back is the offensive stuck in the mud, run on 1st down philosophy. Moore’s going to bring a totally different look to this offense. It may take a few games for the team to start clicking, but I’m expecting great things offensively this season. Screw all the haters.
Yeah but he comes from the Linehan camp.....just saying its a learning curve.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
You aren't understanding.

We aren't talking about the cowboys at all.

Moncrief would start on more teams than Cobb, and Patterson would start on every NFL team on special teams.

I don't know that Moncrief would start on more teams than Cobb. There wasn't much of a market for him. But if it's not Cowboys related, I'm not sure I'm interested.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Now cut Hurns
No need for both and Hurns is not paid like a 4th WR

I would wait on cutting Hurns until we need the money. Cobb has injury concerns. Austin has injury concerns. And Hurns has injury concerns. Let's see who is healthy going into the season. If all three are at the final roster cuts, cut Hurns.

blueblood70

Reaction score
"Beasley and Hurns sucked! Why do you care that Cobb sucks?"

Is this going to be the argument? I guess, us being stuck in a perpetual mediocre state is not surprising.
blah blah blah...they arent primary targets all teams have similar players making similar money with similar roles=$$..we have Gallup and cooper they are our Duos expected to put up numbers..sitting on splinters much

Nagg, whine, gripe, never happy, always going against the grain..:facepalm::muttley:

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
well, I kinda saw this comin. If you think about it, it makes sense. Look for him to be our punt returner

I know he wasn't used in that capacity late in his time with the Packers, but he is a good option there too. Though, personally, I'd like to see some younger chaps handle that. I've got in mind Cedrick Wilson for one. Garrett likes young chaps that can play special teams. Wilson will need to show that he can do that. I think that he will show that he can do that, so I look for him as the more likely choice at PR than Cobb. Additionally, I'd look for Jourdan Lewis to do a bit more of the PR duties. He started to pick up the KR duties late last season, and I think he'll probably be splitting with Wilson and Austin for the PR job.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I don't know that Moncrief would start on more teams than Cobb. There wasn't much of a market for him. But if it's not Cowboys related, I'm not sure I'm interested.
That's fine. You quoted me not the other way around.

That's what me and the other poster were discussing, not those subject player's fit on the cowboys.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I know he wasn't used in that capacity late in his time with the Packers, but he is a good option there too. Though, personally, I'd like to see some younger chaps handle that. I've got in mind Cedrick Wilson for one. Garrett likes young chaps that can play special teams. Wilson will need to show that he can do that. I think that he will show that he can do that, so I look for him as the more likely choice at PR than Cobb. Additionally, I'd look for Jourdan Lewis to do a bit more of the PR duties. He started to pick up the KR duties late last season, and I think he'll probably be splitting with Wilson and Austin for the PR job.
agree. BUT listen, those younger dudes tend to not be real trustworthy securing the ball on the punt returns. That's why we had Beasly doing it. Not the fastest,but sure handed. Same with Cobb.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
How many one year deals is this FO going to sign? Half the roster will have expiring contracts in 2020.