Signed by Cowboys Cowboys sign Cobb

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
We'll be extending (or franchising) Jaylon Smith and Byron Jones by next off-season, too.

I think we've got a bit more time with Jones, unless we didn't pick up his option. However, you are quite right. Jaylon is going to need resigning. In fact, I suspect we'll end up tagging him after his rookie season being a wash, so we will be forced to either extend DLaw or let some other team get him and get another DE of our own. So, we really have a sticky wicket there. We'd be in a deeper hole if we were to do as some are suggesting and make massive signings. No, I like what we're doing with Cobb and others. This is more logical if we're planning on extending our homegrown talent.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Between Cobb and Austin as slot receivers, we should be able to get more than 3 receptions for 31 yards- which is exactly what Cole Beasley averaged his entire career here.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
I think we've got a bit more time with Jones, unless we didn't pick up his option. However, you are quite right. Jaylon is going to need resigning. In fact, I suspect we'll end up tagging him after his rookie season being a wash, so we will be forced to either extend DLaw or let some other team get him and get another DE of our own. So, we really have a sticky wicket there. We'd be in a deeper hole if we were to do as some are suggesting and make massive signings. No, I like what we're doing with Cobb and others. This is more logical if we're planning on extending our homegrown talent.

Jones is actually playign on his 5th year option this year. He'll be a UFA after this season.

But I agree with you: I really like how we've approached this off-season. Value, value, value, and prioritize your own first.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Jones is actually playign on his 5th year option this year. He'll be a UFA after this season.

But I agree with you: I really like how we've approached this off-season. Value, value, value, and prioritize your own first.
I would be ok with Jones moving on. UNless the guy proves he could be a difference in the turnover area let him walk.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
I would be ok with Jones moving on. UNless the guy proves he could be a difference in the turnover area let him walk.

I don't want to pay him like a top 5 corner. If we sign him early, we might not have to. In that case, sign me up. The kid is a hell of a player and would be hard to replace.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
Moncreif and Cordarelle Patterson are the only two comparables. What's your point?

I'm taking Moncreif over Cobb, and Patterson too considering the advantage you gain from his return abilities.

We needed a slot receiver. Moncreif plays on the outside and Cordarelle isn't an NFL level WR.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Now cut Hurns
No need for both and Hurns is not paid like a 4th WR
The way the guys on Talkin' Cowboys talk about Allen Hurns... they recently saw Hurns in the Cowboys cafeteria with other players. They say it was very obvious to them that everyone loves that guy and want to see him return.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
To your point Fur

before last season Cobb had played in 60 of his last 64 games in the four seasons prior. Anyone claiming they know Cobb for certain will get injured early in the season is uh...... dumb

....he literally has nagging injuries every single season. That's the main reason for his poor production despite having Rodgers. So, again, who is going to step up once Cobb has his injury?

https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/randall-cobb/4715

If it's not a hurt ankle, it's a hamstring. he's also had a punctured lung, bruised sternum, and concussions between and after all of these. The dude is breaking down.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
you must be a secret Eagles fan! Dak is here to stay man, accept it.

I dunno if he's a closet Eagles fan, but I think he's quite wrong about Dak. Dak may not be Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady, but he's quite a formidable QB. It takes quite a bit of luck to get a good QB. Ask teams like Houston, NY Jets, and Cleveland. How many goes have they had at finding even formidable QBs with high picks? We've been fortunate enough to have formidable starting QBs with an undrafted QB in Romo and a comp 4th pick in Dak. Really well done by our FO to find them, I might add. To say that Dak is rubbish is complete and utter nonsense, especially when you consider his draft status. He's done quite well, and, like you have said, he's here to stay. I'm glad that he's our QB. The problem, as I think a lot of us have stated, is the coaching. In fact, considering he's being coached by Garrett makes his current success more impressive to me. Oh, and he's led the team to 2 division titles in his first 3 years. If I recall correctly, Eli can't say that. The Giants went (albeit, QBd initially that year by Kurt Warner) 6-10 in Eli's rookie season (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_New_York_Giants_season). They then went 11-5 and won the division in 2005. Then, they went 8-8 in 2006, and Eli is a likely HOF QB. Donovan McNabb can't say that either, and he was the 2nd overall pick in his rookie season. McNabb went 5-11 in his rookie season, 11-5 (2nd in the NFC East) in his second season, and 11-5 (Won the East) in his 3rd season. Let's not get started with RG3 in the case of Washington. Oh, and Kirk Cousins can't say that either in our division, and Dak smashed Kirk while he was in Washington. So, all in all, Dak's done quite well for a division that has a massive history of great QBs.

Disclaimer, I only pointed out Eli and McNabb because they're the QBs that have been the best for their teams since 2000 in my view for the longest time. I also pointed out the Skins QBs because they can't hold a candle lately to what Dak has done either. So, really, quite unfair to label Dak as rubbish. He's done quite well.

Paintrain4978

Reaction score
I like it. Cobb won’t stop us from drafting a WR. He’s a seasoned vet who is cheaper than Beasley would have been. Injuries have hampered him but if he can stay healthy he can get separation and give Dak another dependable option. With this signing our WR depth chart is miles better than it was last year.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I don't want to pay him like a top 5 corner. If we sign him early, we might not have to. In that case, sign me up. The kid is a hell of a player and would be hard to replace.

What does he give you? a Solid zone cover CB, and nothign else. He doesnt have the speed to deal with the faster WRs. People like to tout about him not giving up much. Well he plays RCB Awuzie was getting much of the better WRs. But teams went after Jones late in the yr and the playoffs, and he was toast. And IDK if people paid attention but once teams focused on Jones, Awuzie started to shut them lesser WRs down. He started to show better. Jones is nothing special.