Signed by Cowboys Cowboys Sign RB Royce Freeman

_sturt_

Reaction score
clueless, that they don’t understand that these players are camp bodies
Clueless, eh?.... hehe... okaaaaay...

To your assertion, well, yes and no. Depends on your definition of camp body. Most times, I think people mean by that "has no serious chance to make the final roster."

To be fair to your point, yes, Freeman did not finish the season getting much action. However, for for a big chunk of 2023 when Kyren Williams was out, Freeman was the Rams' #1 guy. They later would get Ronnie Rivers back from injury, who McVay apparently preferred even when Williams went down for a second time.

Objectively and conventionally speaking then, one should feel safe in assuming Williams would register approximately the same regard on the current Cowboys depth chart.

But here's the thing that makes him different... he's a big boy that more logically fits as a competitor to Hunter Luepke's role than he does to Rico Dowdle's role in terms of McCarthy's offense. While I won't begrudge your intelligence... for what purpose would I do that... the history of off-season roster building around these parts has been that Jones, Jones & McClay LLC do not tend to have more than one or two bigger bodied RBs.

And to be fair to my point... Zeke at age 29 would also represent more of a fit in the Hunter Luepke role than he does in the Rico Dowdle role. So, no, call me a fool, but I do regard this as a nail in the coffin of belief that Zeke is still on the radar... and my bet is that Zeke would have been the signing except that his agent thinks he would have been deserving of better compensation than Stephen was willing to put on the table.

I do think they'll prefer Luepke in the end. But Williams will be his competition.

And yes, it makes no difference to the presumed-but-widely-accepted intention to draft a new #1 RB.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
This guy could very well have a breakout year. In fact I fully expect him to be more like a Rolls-Royce among running backs. He's got 1700 yards and 10 touchdowns. Look out when he gets behind our Offensive Line.
To be fair, he's not a bad player.

64 TDs in 4 years of college ball.

3rd TM All Amercan
1st TM Pac-12 Conf

Made the mistake of getting drafted by Denver.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
clueless, that they don’t understand that these players are camp bodies, they bring about 90 players in the camp and then roll out with the best 53 and 10 practice people that’s more than 30 players being cut off this team before September.
The draft has not even come yet and think this off-season is a failure, after the draft which I believe they will draft a premium running back,
They will go through camp and when they feel the need, they can add a veteran running back to this team(cook, zeke or others mentioned,) either before week one or after week one as to not gualtee thater deals, many will be available.

There is no reason to add the old veterans on this team for any of this basic off-season nonsense that is for the players who actually need it.
That’s like the people who think CD didn’t show up because he’s gonna hold out, even though he’s on the team for $17 million this year ,oh that’s right my Parson didn’t show up either for the 2nd season.

Is he holding out ?? how many veterans across the league showed up for the voluntary Camp? so many, im not looking it up, most of the veterans are doing their own thing right now.

They have their own off-season regiments with individual trainers and coaches,
so people could be upset about camp bodies and bringing in more bodies. Hell you don’t even even know this guy could turn out to be really great, but that is not why they brought them here, they’re bringing in camp bodies to do all the camps they need more bodies. They need more legs because the veterans are not going to show up for a lot of these little camps..

You don’t understand , casual fans are upset,yet other teams aren’t doing it. Yes, they are. I’ve seen so many signings of players I don’t even know their names , all around the league…

Can we calm down and relax ??? you do not understand $1 billion NFL team just because you play madden and fantasy football and watch the games and discuss it with your buddies while you’re drunk
And before you say it, we have not had a lot of plyoff success blah blah blah 28 years blah!!

YET , they have won 36 games, 2 division titles, been too the playoff 3 times in a row the last three years.

also been to the playoffs five times in the last eight years with Prescott healthy.

Literally they have a handle on what they’re doing whether you like it or not and feel like you could do a better job.. they’ve been a top 16 the last three years..

FYI,

Again ,I realize we want more success, but stop acting like they don’t know how to run training camp and preseason and get a roster built. They will have it ready before game one.. that would be five months from now, but hey, let’s keep the daily complaining going because there are a lot of casuals who like to whine.
IF you think they could do a better job,

Well scrape together your $10 billion and wait about a decade before you can get in line to own a franchise and then we’ll see how well you do lmao...

There is so much cope here.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Clueless, eh?.... hehe... okaaaaay...

To your assertion, well, yes and no. Depends on your definition of camp body. Most times, I think people mean by that "has no serious chance to make the final roster."

To be fair to your point, yes, Freeman did not finish the season getting much action. However, for for a big chunk of 2023 when Kyren Williams was out, Freeman was the Rams' #1 guy. They later would get Ronnie Rivers back from injury, who McVay apparently preferred even when Williams went down for a second time.

Objectively and conventionally speaking then, one should feel safe in assuming Williams would register approximately the same regard on the current Cowboys depth chart.

But here's the thing that makes him different... he's a big boy that more logically fits as a competitor to Hunter Luepke's role than he does to Rico Dowdle's role in terms of McCarthy's offense. While I won't begrudge your intelligence... for what purpose would I do that... the history of off-season roster building around these parts has been that Jones, Jones & McClay LLC do not tend to have more than one or two bigger bodied RBs.

And to be fair to my point... Zeke at age 29 would also represent more of a fit in the Hunter Luepke role than he does in the Rico Dowdle role. So, no, call me a fool, but I do regard this as a nail in the coffin of belief that Zeke is still on the radar... and my bet is that Zeke would have been the signing except that his agent thinks he would have been deserving of better compensation than Stephen was willing to put on the table.

I do think they'll prefer Luepke in the end. But Williams will be his competition.

And yes, it makes no difference to the presumed-but-widely-accepted intention to draft a new #1 RB.
Look man, I'm salty this morning ,

so this stuff's getting on my nerves but yes,

I agree that could be a possibility but also again I said that in my long rant we're going to draft a #1 running back, Rico is a good BU should have got way more carries last year, and if you think zeke or cooks or somebody else, those guys ,one of many will be available week 1 ,or like a lot of teams do with the older guys to not guarantee their contracts, they'll be here for Game 2 ..

there's no hurry bringing in the veteran old running backs into it this early in the offseason..

Sydla

Reaction score
To be fair, he's not a bad player.

64 TDs in 4 years of college ball.

3rd TM All Amercan
1st TM Pac-12 Conf

Made the mistake of getting drafted by Denver.
He's a JAG. Hopefully a camp body. If he's part of the solution, LOL.

Bagman

Reaction score
I can imagine Duece leading Royce through the hole on the goal line. It's gonna be devastating. Our RB room should be illegal

Mr_437

Reaction score
Actually, as a short yardage power RB (6'0, 238) Royce makes more sense, in this role, on a committee.