Signed by Cowboys Cowboys Sign S Keanu Neal

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Whoa .. a 215 pound linebacker in the NFL? I'm scared for him already. Sean Lee couldn't stay healthy at that position at 235.. What makes anybody think a guy 20 pounds lighter will fare any better?

true.

he already had the ACL and the Achilles tear.

still, his stats are solid.

boysfanindc

Reaction score
Whoa .. a 215 pound linebacker in the NFL? I'm scared for him already. Sean Lee couldn't stay healthy at that position at 235.. What makes anybody think a guy 20 pounds lighter will fare any better?

They are going to use him differently on the weak side and will also play some box safety. He will be part SS/Will. He is a tacking machine.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
So the word is Neal is going to be playing more WLB than safety so that begs the question: what are they going to do with J. Smith?

John813

Reaction score
Sweet. Hopefully a lb in nickel, and some hybrid safety in 4-3

USArmyVet

Reaction score
In different threads as well as this one, why does many say he is a LB, when all the tweets say he is a S.

"Cowboys signed LB/S Keanu Neal, formerly of the Falcons, to a one-year, $5.0 million contract.

Neal was recruited by defensive coordinator Dan Quinn, his former head coach in Atlanta. The physical safety may play more weak side linebacker with 2019 sixth-round SS Donovan Wilson showing plus-starter skills last season. Neal, 25, rebounded in 2020 after two-straight seasons ending on injured reserve. This is a quality signing for the Cowboys, who finished 28th in rushing EPA and 20th in passing EPA last year.

Patrick

Reaction score
Love it. He's a dog and might bring some intensity to the defense.

Now if we could sign Hooker/Kazee, and get a decent CB in this FA class of many, we'll be looking solid going into the draft. I would say sign a real DT but I have given up beating on that drum.

This is Our Year

Ohama, Kill, 52 is the Mike
Reaction score
We have visits next week with both of them. They play a different position than Neal.

Just surprised they didn’t just go with Wilson at SS and sign either Hooker/Kazee. (Since we’re so “cap strapped”)

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Pro football reference says he is but I guess in the Quinn system the safeties are somewhat interchangeable? Only 2 career INTs but 100+ tackles in 3 of his 5 seasons.. Missed 15 games in '18 games in '19.. durability red flags all over the place now.. Still he had 4 times as many tackles as the guy they list as the Falcons SS last year (Ricardo Allen) .. 100 to 25.. so I'm guessing they got it wrong.. Allen is listed as the SS but weighs 185 pounds.. Yeah that's more than a little fishy. The other thing that bothers me is that clearly Neal is a box safety and we already got a potential star in the making at that position in Wilson. Wilson has the same number of career INTs (2) and 5 forced fumbles and 3 fumble recoveries in only 10 starts.. while Neal has 2 INTs, 8 forced fumbles and 4 fumble recoveries in 48 starts. Now I'm scratching my head on this acquisition. Seems like the guy we already have is the better player.
Neal shouldnt effect Wilsons playing time at all. Of Neal is a S here, it will be strictly on run downs. Wilson most like will play FS on run downs and move over to SS on passing downs

Neal was very promising as TO production early in his career. Only 1 INT, but 8 FF's his first two years (For reference Wilson was tied for league lead amongst S with 3 FF's) However, he had zero last. Thats kindnof worrying. Did his injuries make him more tentative. A guy like Neal is basically a tackle/hit machine. You dont want that guy tentative

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
So the word is Neal is going to be playing more WLB than safety so that begs the question: what are they going to do with J. Smith?

Hopefully relegate him to some meaningless role...

59343978-760-E-4303-BB83-9-DE2-D5729-BD2.jpg

RonnieT24

Reaction score
They are going to use him differently on the weak side and will also play some box safety. He will be part SS/Will. He is a tacking machine.

I do like his tackle totals in the years he has played most of the games.. 100+ tackles from a safety is pretty strong.. but not if he's really been playing linebacker and has been a safety in name only. But 9 TFLs last year looms large on my radar. Essentially one out of every 11 tackles was behind the LOS. Tells me he's smart nd will go make the tackle when he sniffs out the play. But I still don't want him starting over Wilson.. nor do I want a 215 pound linebacker on the field when teams are in 2 TE sets. That would remind me too much of the nightmare that was Mike Nolan..

CWR

Reaction score

You remember how Roy Williams was a biscuit away from LB? Pretty sure Neal can add a little bulk without it hampering him. Some guys stay hurt, hopefully he's not one of em.