Signed by Cowboys Cowboys sign WR Thompson

Sydla

Reaction score
Remember when a Stephen said a few weeks ago that he realizes they’ve made mistakes in FA and need to change things and do better?

Me too. Great times.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
In looking at numbers, I'm OK with Dallas paying $2.5 million to a player who caught 38 passes for 555 yards (14.6 per catch) and a 1 TD to challenge the playing time of one who caught 53 passes, 568 yards (10.7) and no TDs and making $4.75 million.

Now, I don't know if that's the plan for Thompson, but if he can be enough of a speed threat to get defenses to cheat their safeties back, it would certainly make it easier on the underneath receivers. I don't know if he's seen as anything more than a special-teammer/fifth receiver, though.

Sydla

Reaction score
Thompson will fill the role that Dwayne Harris had here.. used from time to time on offense...but mostly a kick returner.Which tells me they have bigger plans for Switzer on offense or you don't make this move. That may spell the end for Beasley or Williams...

They aren’t cutting Williams.

He has no cap savings if cut.

Sydla

Reaction score
In looking at numbers, I'm OK with Dallas paying $2.5 million to a player who caught 38 passes for 555 yards (14.6 per catch) and a 1 TD to challenge the playing time of one who caught 53 passes, 568 yards (10.7) and no TDs and making $4.75 million.

Now, I don't know if that's the plan for Thompson, but if he can be enough of a speed threat to get defenses to cheat their safeties back, it would certainly make it easier on the underneath receivers. I don't know if he's seen as anything more than a special-teammer/fifth receiver, though.

The notion Thompson will scare Ss is funny.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Looking over Thompson’s career numbers don’t know what the Cowboys saw in him. Plus he’s pushing 30. He’s been around for 8 years and has done virtually nothing. He’s never caught more than 27 passes for more than 430 yards and has 4 career TDs. Nothing to get excited about with this signing. Will be interesting to see if he even makes the team this summer.
He's just a role player on special teams...a speed threat as a returner..and a rare snap on offense time and again. Got to have role players guys.Not everyone can be an all pro signing. He's just a foundational player. Smart signing..gives us some speed. Plus it may signify a bigger role for Switzer on offense this year.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Hurn would have been a better signing than this. At least he’s still a young player and had a 1000 yard season with double digit touchdowns a couple of years ago. Don’t see how Thompson has any chance of making our receiving corp better. If you ranked our veteran receivers based on career numbers he would be at the bottom. He’s going to have a tough time even making the team.

Sydla

Reaction score
Looking over Thompson’s career numbers don’t know what the Cowboys saw in him. Plus he’s pushing 30. He’s been around for 8 years and has done virtually nothing. He’s never caught more than 27 passes for more than 430 yards and has 4 career TDs. Nothing to get excited about with this signing. Will be interesting to see if he even makes the team this summer.

2.5MM for him too.

LOL

Carter

Reaction score
The Thing is we drafted Switzer for Return Duties basically and he has improved in that area. This guy is basically only good in Returns. Whats the point?

Ddisco22

Reaction score
What is the problem with saying this is depth? The 3rd and 4th receivers on other teams aren't 1,000 yard/season guys. He has some very serious speed, and has had some success as a kickoff return man. Doesn't seem to be a bad guy to have on the roster
I'm not downing the guy, just figured we needed a starter

Carter

Reaction score
I had 500 Yards Receiving in High School too, maybe Jerry signs me up for 2,5M too.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
They aren’t cutting Williams.

He has no cap savings if cut.

He actually takes up additional cap room if cut or traded this year.

We'd break even if designated as June 1st cut and still have to pay out his guaranteed $3.5M salary, plus carry dead money into the 2019 cap.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Because every position group needs depth?

How much depth, though? We've got Bryant, Williams, Beasley, Switzer and Brown. Do we have a bean counter going, "That's only five receivers. We need six"?

I hope there's more to this than just replacing Butler's depth spot.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Remember when a Stephen said a few weeks ago that he realizes they’ve made mistakes in FA and need to change things and do better?

Me too. Great times.

Repeat the same mistakes.

They just never learn. Oh well.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
This is a perfect replacement for Butler and a stand in so that Ridley can be drafted and trained.
Dez better look over his shoulder cause Stephen will be coming for his money and lots of it.

Was going to say dont think this will stop us taking Ridley or Sutton if there at 19. Did see a mock draft having us taking the TE from South Carolina at 19, I will go crazy if that happens.

Ddisco22

Reaction score
Where does this guy play? does he take snaps away from TWill or Beasley? or is he the Lucky Whitehead in this offense and run nothing but jet sweeps?
No idea, I'm sure the OC will call one or two plays for him on 3rd and long

Rayman70

Reaction score
The Thing is we drafted Switzer for Return Duties basically and he has improved in that area. This guy is basically only good in Returns. Whats the point?
role player...that's it. Has some speed and return ability. Runs good routes..so hes not crap. He's never played with a halfway decent QB. Its a good signing and wont preclude the team from making more deals at WR. Be patient..its only march.