Signed by Cowboys Cowboys sign WR Thompson

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Short-term deal so no long-term risk, but I'll be shocked if he gets 30 catches the whole season.

Seems like the FO is at least keeping the cap more open for next year when the skies get less cloudy. Realistically, we basically will have the same team as last year (outside of coaching staff), just have to hope for a different result.

CWR

Reaction score
What legitimate player? And how are you going to fill all the holes oh yeah draft and UDFAs??????

Wed have gotten the same or better if we took that approach last year. We fill holes with vet scrubs and blow 6 or 8 million total. Why not sign ONE good player and fill holes with rookies? It couldnt work out any worse than last year.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Dez is not a great route runner and his most valuable skill is the ability to jump for the football. Outside of that, Hurns has better hands and is a better route runner. I rather pay Hurns $5M over paying Dez $14M
Then you are thinking purely in terms of finances. Hurns is really a complementary WR like Williams as opposed to Bryant.

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
Watched the videos seems to accept mid range passes will having some speed behind the route to get mid range which is the “addition” to the offense. We have a new WR coach so it comes down to scheme for this player. The flip side is teams not paying much attention to him during preplanning coverage on our WR.

jrumann59

Reaction score
no, it's not
6 seasons with the Ravens, Bills and Bears, catching 77 passes for 1,032 yards and 4 touchdowns. and they call this Depth??
6 years only 77 passes, ***!?? we could've done a lot better than this.
Butler 73/1177/8 TDs in 5 years played in 61 games. Avg a little more than 1 catch per game
Wed have gotten the same or better if we took that approach last year. We fill holes with vet scrubs and blow 6 or 8 million total. Why not sign ONE good player and fill holes with rookies? It couldnt work out any worse than last year.
Who??? Let me guess Suh????

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
They will complain because they think of free agency only as an opportunity to sign a big impact guy and don't recognize that is also an opportunity to fill all manner of roles on the roster.
I agree. I have been as pissed as anybody regarding how this team has been run by Jerry and Stephen over the past 22 years( Garrett is a mediocre puppet, the Offense is simple and predictable, we don’t put enough $ into our D because Jerry loves the SHOW not winning, the GM is partying in the Bahamas when he should be inviting Free Agents in for visits, etc. etc.), BUT this could be a good signing at a cheap price and a foreshadowing of a receiver signing to come( I hope ).Watching the video of Thompson put a nice move on Malcolm Butler, who I believe is a top 10 corner, and then getting seperation is exciting. He could be the speed threat we need to help open up the middle for Beasley and Switzer( yes get them both on the field at the same time ). Also, the next move could be Hurn for about 5-7 million per year. This would allow us to release Dez. With the signing of Thompson and Hurn, at these prices and the release of Dez, we would have a solid group of receivers at less money. We would also be rid of Dez’s drama. Dak could just worry about throwing to the open receiver, and not worry about forcing the ball to Dez. This O has been successful with Dez on the sidelines. I’m kind of excited about this signing. I will get really excited if we sign Hurn and drop Dez. Am I wrong to be excited ? Should we sign Hurn and release Dez?

LittleD

Reaction score
I agree. I have been as pissed as anybody regarding how this team has been run by Jerry and Stephen over the past 22 years( Garrett is a mediocre puppet, the Offense is simple and predictable, we don’t put enough $ into our D because Jerry loves the SHOW not winning, the GM is partying in the Bahamas when he should be inviting Free Agents in for visits, etc. etc.), BUT this could be a good signing at a cheap price and a foreshadowing of a receiver signing to come( I hope ).Watching the video of Thompson put a nice move on Malcolm Butler, who I believe is a top 10 corner, and then getting seperation is exciting. He could be the speed threat we need to help open up the middle for Beasley and Switzer( yes get them both on the field at the same time ). Also, the next move could be Hurn for about 5-7 million per year. This would allow us to release Dez. With the signing of Thompson and Hurn, at these prices and the release of Dez, we would have a solid group of receivers at less money. We would also be rid of Dez’s drama. Dak could just worry about throwing to the open receiver, and not worry about forcing the ball to Dez. This O has been successful with Dez on the sidelines. I’m kind of excited about this signing. I will get really excited if we sign Hurn and drop Dez. Am I wrong to be excited ? Should we sign Hurn and release Dez?

Forget Hurn...He's on his way to the Jets. They have the ready cash and we are sucking wind to try and coax a signing for 2.5mil.

ICP

Reaction score
Another quality signing, so far it looks like last years bunch was better quality. I thought Dallas was looking for tier two free agents? Looking more like tier 3-4

Sydla

Reaction score
They will complain because they think of free agency only as an opportunity to sign a big impact guy and don't recognize that is also an opportunity to fill all manner of roles on the roster.

LOL

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
We do, but when has that ever stopped JJ from doing anything?

Think Will McClay is regretting his decision to stay yet?

Jerry: "Will, we need to sign a receiver to make our team better."

Will: "Well, we can go after Sammy Watkins or Allen Robinson."

After Watkins and Robinson sign elsewhere ..

Jerry: "That was a little expensive for our taste."

Will: "Well, Allen Hurns just got released."

After Hurns leaves ...

Jerry: "Still out of our price range."

Will: "All you're going to be able to get for what you're willing to pay is a cast-off like Deonte Thompson."

Jerry to Stephen: "Will recommends that we sign Deonte Thompson."

Last edited:

ZekeTrain

Reaction score
Switzer was fine as a PR but a liability as a KR. So I am more than okay with Thompson coming on board to be our speed WR and our KR. He is an upgrade to both those spots imo.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Another quality signing, so far it looks like last years bunch was better quality. I thought Dallas was looking for tier two free agents? Looking more like tier 3-4

We were looking for tier 2 players who will play for tier 4 money, so we end up signing tier 4 players instead.

Reactions: ICP

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
I dont understand this signing at all.

just my .02 but they already have plenty of wr. Bryant, Williams, Beasley, Switzer, Brown, Lenoir.

I view Switzer as a player that will be better this year and will have a role, just like Crayton back in 04 was deactivated and confused, Dwayne harris was cut sent to the practice squad then put back on the team at the end of his rookie season I think that is how switzer is developing. it takes time.

Not sure what Thompson does that will get him on the roster or get him to the gameday roster.

And if they draft a big time wr like ridley then what?

Oh well. This o-line, Linebacker group and tight end position needs work so maybe they are just trying to make sure they are deep enough at wr that they do not feel forced to use a pick in the first four rounds or something.

I dont know. This signing doesnt make much sense to me

Ky31

Reaction score
Are you kidding??? This is the dumbest **** I’ve ever read on here...