Signed by Cowboys Cowboys sign WR Thompson

Rayman70

Reaction score
Butler is a 50/50 receiver..a jump ball type. Cant run routes well..lacks top end speed..and drops passes.Sounds like Williams don't it? lol..thats why we signed Thompson...he's better than Brice and has some versatility on special teams. We are far from done at WR. Keep in mind its march and you gotta have low level role players too.Not every signing will leap off the page. Hurns may still happen..but its doubtful..BUT if it does,watch out. Somebody will be cut.

Sydla

Reaction score
I'm not downing the guy, just figured we needed a starter

Exactly. In a vacuum, guys like Thomas and Thompson might be valuable signings for depth.

But when they look like the “key” free agents signings for this team, a team that has clear needs that likely can’t all be fixed in one draft, it’s bizarre.

mardwin

Reaction score
I am pretty critical of Dez Bryant, but this statement is completely accurate. Dumping Bryant and inserting Hurns, even as a placeholder for a rookie, would be a seriously dumb move.

Dez is not a great route runner and his most valuable skill is the ability to jump for the football. Outside of that, Hurns has better hands and is a better route runner. I rather pay Hurns $5M over paying Dez $14M

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He's just a role player on special teams...a speed threat as a returner..and a rare snap on offense time and again. Got to have role players guys.Not everyone can be an all pro signing. He's just a foundational player. Smart signing..gives us some speed. Plus it may signify a bigger role for Switzer on offense this year.

He’s pushing 30 don’t know how much speed he’s going to have left. Ryan Switzer had a better KO average than he did. Thompson’s never had a pass reception longer than 46 yards and the Cowboys are his fourth team in 9 years. He lasted one year in Buffalo and it’s not like they’re loaded with talent. He’s going to be a bubble player this summer. He’s going to have to stand out on special teams to make the team.

mardwin

Reaction score
Butler is a 50/50 receiver..a jump ball type. Cant run routes well..lacks top end speed..and drops passes.Sounds like Williams don't it? lol..thats why we signed Thompson...he's better than Brice and has some versatility on special teams. We are far from done at WR. Keep in mind its march and you gotta have low level role players too.Not every signing will leap off the page. Hurns may still happen..but its doubtful..BUT if it does,watch out. Somebody will be cut.

You just described our #1 receiver while dizzing our #4 WR.

Verdict

Reaction score
Maybe I am missing something but why not just save the $2.5 million and go with an UDFA or a draft pick and save $2.0 million?

Rayman70

Reaction score
He’s pushing 30 don’t know how much speed he’s going to have left. Ryan Switzer had a better KO average than he did. Thompson’s never had a pass reception longer than 46 yards and the Cowboys are his fourth team in 9 years. He’s going to be a bubble player this summer. He’s going to have to stand out on special teams to make the team.
Bodies and depth at WR/special teams..you need them.

CWR

Reaction score
so if we could get tom Brady for 1 year at age 40, we shouldn't because he is not under age 30

and it is a 1 year deal, so it is not like we signed a 30 year old to a 5 year contract

Lol, na Jazz. I just dont care for our entire approach. This isnt an awful signing by itself. I do however think if we are going to save money then lets save money. Last year all we did was piss away money on guys that weren't helpful.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Bodies and depth at WR/special teams..you need them.

We don’t need dead bodies. Lol Just checked out Thompson’s profile picture on NFL.com and the dude looks like he’s pushing 40.

jujoboys

Reaction score
2.5 million for 38 catches...lol...
Sounds like we got a deal compared to Kansas City paying $16 million for a guy (Watkins) that had 39 catches last year. If Thompson could have caught one more pass then maybe he would have gotten the extra $13.5 million. Did you know that Thompson was the leading WR on the Bills despite only playing 11 games for them. My point is, last year he played in 2 offenses that don't pass the ball a lot. The offense in Buffalo throws more balls to the RBs and TEs. In Chicago he playing with Mike Glennon and a rookie. This guy gives us another option. Not the big signing that we were hoping for but with our CAP situation we aren't making any large purchases.