Signed by Cowboys Cowboys sign WR Thompson

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Ignorant is probably a bit harsh. I'm willing to admit I'm not at the top of my Socrates/Plato game.

And trust me, it's easy to talk at people and not talk too them. The net is very impersonal. But ABQs a good guy. I don't think this was some disinformation attack to disparage Plato or the Greeks.

Ignorant is not nice but it is accurate nonetheless. Socrates was not surprised. His quote claims the opposite. It is what it is.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Fuzzy is a wannabe smart guy.

Did you ever see the movie from the eighties called Amadeus?

Fuzzy is the character played by F. Murray Abraham.

The Abraham character is an older composer and rival of Mozart. He has focused his life on being a composer. He is educated and very very structured.

Mozart is a goofy young guy that just parties and doesn't follow the rules but he can just roll out of bed and compose music that makes the Abraham character seem like an amateur in comparison.

Mozart's transcendant talent basically drives the Abraham character insane with jealousy.

I'm certain there are some Mozart types that Fuzxy has encountered (probably worked with) that have made him try everything possible to feel like he matches up to them. Over-focusing on things like Plato is an example of his efforts.
He seems pretty smart to me.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
No, I believe that there is an objective verifiable truth. I never claim to be an authority on anything. I never ask people to simply take me at my word. You were wrong and your self importance and need for authority got up in arms. It's cliche.

Socrates was not surprised and took the poison knowing full well what it was. The clergy of Athens condemned him to death and he had accepted it; Pericles could do nothing. They never tricked him and he was not surprised. It is interesting that you double down on your ignorance.

And my point was not to complain about the personal attacks. My point was to say you are relying only on that ie you have no leg to stand on. You once again completely missed my point Now you are desperately trying to speak for other people when most people don't want to get in the middle of arguments. It's amusing watching you try and obfuscate.

I never said it was of much importance. I simply pointed out that Socrates was not surprised and famously embraced his fate. You have been trying to deflect from your mistake rather than just admitting it and moving on. If you weren't so full of hubris this wouldn't have gone on so long.

You always believe that what you say is truth, objective or otherwise. It's fine, I know why you always claim you have been attacked, I understand why you always claim that nobody understands your point. It's fine.

I will simply point out to you Fuzzy, that I did not address you in this thread. You came to me and lets not lie to each other. This is not about hubris. You went out of your way to make something out of nothing because you believed you could speak authoritatively on the subject of Socrates. You were trying to show everybody how smart you are. We get it, you are cultured. I think it's great.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
You always believe that what you say is truth, objective or otherwise. It's fine, I know why you always claim you have been attacked, I understand why you always claim that nobody understands your point. It's fine.

I will simply point out to you Fuzzy, that I did not address you in this thread. You came to me and lets not lie to each other. This is not about hubris. You went out of your way to make something out of nothing because you believed you could speak authoritatively on the subject of Socrates. You were trying to show everybody how smart you are. We get it, you are cultured. I think it's great.
okO6dbp.gif

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
“Men of Athens, I honor and love you; but I shall obey God rather than you, and while I have life and strength I shall never cease from the practice and teaching of philosophy... Understand that I shall never alter my ways, not even if I have to die many times.”

“Neither in war nor yet at law ought any man to use every way of escaping death. For often in battle there is no doubt that if a man will throw away his arms, and fall on his knees before his pursuers, he may escape death; and in other dangers there are other ways of escaping death, if a man is willing to say and do anything. The difficulty, my friends, is not in avoiding death, but in avoiding unrighteousness; for that runs faster than death.”

- Socrates

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

Who cares? It's a public forum. If you want to prevent people from responding to you then try PMs.

You aren't even arguing whether or not I am right or wrong. I just demonstrated objectively how I was right by quoting the story.

It is amusing watching you try and avoid admitting that you were wrong.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I don't give a crap this very fine Sunday. I think I shall duck under this hooplah and enjoy the very gift that God hath given me: Life. - Corso, 3:04

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He seems pretty smart to me.
Maybe you didn't understand the story.

The jealous guy in the movie was a good composer compared to the average Joe composer but he looked like rank amateur compared to Mozart.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
“Men of Athens, I honor and love you; but I shall obey God rather than you, and while I have life and strength I shall never cease from the practice and teaching of philosophy... Understand that I shall never alter my ways, not even if I have to die many times.”

“Neither in war nor yet at law ought any man to use every way of escaping death. For often in battle there is no doubt that if a man will throw away his arms, and fall on his knees before his pursuers, he may escape death; and in other dangers there are other ways of escaping death, if a man is willing to say and do anything. The difficulty, my friends, is not in avoiding death, but in avoiding unrighteousness; for that runs faster than death.”

- Socrates
"I drank what?????" - Socrates

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

But can you drive a 6inch spike thru a board with your hubris?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Who cares? It's a public forum. If you want to prevent people from responding to you then try PMs.

You aren't even arguing whether or not I am right or wrong. I just demonstrated objectively how I was right by quoting the story.

It is amusing watching you try and avoid admitting that you were wrong.

Exactly, I'm not arguing with you because it's a joke. It's not worth the argument or time spent on one. If it makes you feel better, I'm wrong.

:laugh:

I mean, this is uneal.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Fuzzy is a wannabe smart guy.

Did you ever see the movie from the eighties called Amadeus?

Fuzzy is the character played by F. Murray Abraham.

The Abraham character is an older composer and rival of Mozart. He has focused his life on being a composer. He is educated and very very structured.

Mozart is a goofy young guy that just parties and doesn't follow the rules but he can just roll out of bed and compose music that makes the Abraham character seem like an amateur in comparison.

Mozart's transcendant talent basically drives the Abraham character insane with jealousy.

I'm certain there are some Mozart types that Fuzxy has encountered (probably worked with) that have made him try everything possible to feel like he matches up to them. Over-focusing on things like Plato is an example of his efforts.

What gratuitous nonsense. I suppose you and the curmudgeon crew are supposed to be Mozart?

And you guys call me arrogant.

The older Salieri was a slave to convention and was frustrated by Mozart's avante garde talent. I obviously support youth and prodigious work while I hardly slave myself to convention. Quite the opposite.

You also seem to miss the point of the conflict within Salieri in that while he was jealous he recognized and admired Mozart's work. That conflict is central to the story and character.

Frankly, your pseudo-intellectual pedantic fail here provides a nice touch of irony to your claim that I am not as smart as I think I am.

What I see from you reminds me of a different ancient Greek character: Sophocles. You both argue for a conclusion with no regard for the truth. Anyone reading your ranting over Dez Bryant and other players you are partisan towards or against can see that very clearly. I have been calling you a sophist for years at this point.