Signed by Cowboys Cowboys sign WR Thompson

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It's called critical thinking. I have actually read The Apology of Socrates by Plato and Xenophon.

Your quote was ignorant and given the production date of Real Genius you have been using that line blithely for decades. Worse, the ignorance assumed the exact opposite of what that story was actually getting at and saying.

You can try and deflect from all that by attacking me but Plato knew what he was doing and famously embraced it. That is the opposite disposition that your quote was getting at.

Your story, you tell it.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Fuzzy is a wannabe smart guy.

Did you ever see the movie from the eighties called Amadeus?

Fuzzy is the character played by F. Murray Abraham.

The Abraham character is an older composer and rival of Mozart. He has focused his life on being a composer. He is educated and very very structured.

Mozart is a goofy young guy that just parties and doesn't follow the rules but he can just roll out of bed and compose music that makes the Abraham character seem like an amateur in comparison.

Mozart's transcendant talent basically drives the Abraham character insane with jealousy.

I'm certain there are some Mozart types that Fuzxy has encountered (probably worked with) that have made him try everything possible to feel like he matches up to them. Over-focusing on things like Plato is an example of his efforts.

I confess, I've never seen Amadeus. However, based on this, I just might have to check it out.

I have meet people like Mozart. They just have it and everybody knows it. I don't really have a problem with it, I feel like God gives everybody something and you just have to find it.

I'm no Mozart for sure. LOL........

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I confess, I've never seen Amadeus. However, based on this, I just might have to check it out.

I have meet people like Mozart. They just have it and everybody knows it. I don't really have a problem with it, I feel like God gives everybody something and you just have to find it.

I'm no Mozart for sure. LOL........

I find that most people have something that comes naturally to them that does not come naturally to everyone.

I didn't really get the movie when I saw it back in the eighties; however, at some point later I realized the real meaning of the story.

We see athletes that are like Mozart. They were just born with their abilities. Some maximize their talent (Michael Jordan at the top of the list) and others don't (Rolando McClain, Dez).

I would imagine that it could be frustrating to a guy like Beasley who has maximized every ounce of ability that he was given when he looks at Dez and sees how he has just taken his once rare physical abilities for granted.

Edit. I looked up some info on the movie.
Amadeus is a 1984 American period drama film directed by Miloš Forman, adapted by Peter Shaffer from his stage play Amadeus. The story, set in Vienna, Austria, during the latter half of the 18th century, is a fictionalized biography of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. Mozart's music is heard extensively in the soundtrack of the movie. The film follows Italian composer Antonio Salieri at the court of Emperor Joseph II, and his jealous vendetta against his younger rival, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.

The film was nominated for 53 awards and received 40, which included eight Academy Awards (including Best Picture), four BAFTA Awards, four Golden Globes, and a Directors Guild of America (DGA) award. As of 2016, it is the most recent film to have more than one nomination in the Academy Award for Best Actorcategory. In 1998, the American Film Institute ranked Amadeus 53rd on its 100 Years... 100 Movies list.

I think I'll start referring to a certain poster as Salieri ...

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I find that most people have something that comes naturally to them that does not come naturally to everyone.

I didn't really get the movie when I saw it back in the eighties; however, at some point later I realized the real meaning of the story.

We see athletes that are like Mozart. They were just born with their abilities. Some maximize their talent (Michael Jordan at the top of the list) and others don't (Rolando McClain, Dez).

I would imagine that it could be frustrating to a guy like Beasley who has maximized every ounce of ability that he was given when he looks at Dez and sees how he has just taken his once rare physical abilities for granted.

Edit. I looked up some info on the movie.
Amadeus is a 1984 American period drama film directed by Miloš Forman, adapted by Peter Shaffer from his stage play Amadeus. The story, set in Vienna, Austria, during the latter half of the 18th century, is a fictionalized biography of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. Mozart's music is heard extensively in the soundtrack of the movie. The film follows Italian composer Antonio Salieri at the court of Emperor Joseph II, and his jealous vendetta against his younger rival, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.

The film was nominated for 53 awards and received 40, which included eight Academy Awards (including Best Picture), four BAFTA Awards, four Golden Globes, and a Directors Guild of America (DGA) award. As of 2016, it is the most recent film to have more than one nomination in the Academy Award for Best Actorcategory. In 1998, the American Film Institute ranked Amadeus 53rd on its 100 Years... 100 Movies list.

I think I'll start referring to a certain poster as Salieri ...

Oh, I know it has to be like torture. Some guys are truly blessed.

Don't be to hard on Fuzzy. He has a big enough cross to bear all on his own.

I am really interested to see what the Cowboys do with a little speed at WR. I hope they use it, I feel like Dez still has something left in him and if you can just create balance, we can see a productive year out of him. If the OL is right, we can dominate thru the running game, you honestly don't need a great deal from the passing game. I'm excited for the season.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh, I know it has to be like torture. Some guys are truly blessed.

Don't be to hard on Fuzzy. He has a big enough cross to bear all on his own.

I am really interested to see what the Cowboys do with a little speed at WR. I hope they use it, I feel like Dez still has something left in him and if you can just create balance, we can see a productive year out of him. If the OL is right, we can dominate thru the running game, you honestly don't need a great deal from the passing game. I'm excited for the season.
It's just too fun to prod Fuzzy into emotional tirades. I don't know if I can resist.

A better Swing Tackle literally could have resulted in 2 more wins last season. Also if Zeke had not been suspended they likely would have made the playoffs.

Speed at receiver (Including TEs) was a huge problem. Witten would still be OK if they had more speed at WR.

The biggest reason that keeping Dez does not make sense is that Hurns is not a speed guy either. If their plan is to have Dez/Hurns/Witten as the starters, then I think they will struggle. Hurns as a less expensive and more intelligent replacement for Dez makes perfect sense. That puts Thompson on the field much more often either as the true #2 or in a rotation with TWill.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It's just too fun to prod Fuzzy into emotional tirades. I don't know if I can resist.

A better Swing Tackle literally could have resulted in 2 more wins last season. Also if Zeke had not been suspended they likely would have made the playoffs.

Speed at receiver (Including TEs) was a huge problem. Witten would still be OK if they had more speed at WR.

The biggest reason that keeping Dez does not make sense is that Hurns is not a speed guy either. If their plan is to have Dez/Hurns/Witten as the starters, then I think they will struggle. Hurns as a less expensive and more intelligent replacement for Dez makes perfect sense. That puts Thompson on the field much more often either as the true #2 or in a rotation with TWill.

I think it could be as simple as just making sure that we have decent depth at WR. It's easy to overlook the fact that Dez, has really had issues staying healthy, over the last few seasons. Now, you could make the case that if Dez can not stay healthy, why keep him, and that is valid. But we have seen, in the past, Jerry tends to keep people around for reasons of his own. I don't think that Hurns is Dez and I am not certain that he could replace Dez. It's possible but I don't think that's the plan. To me, it would make more sense to cut Dez loose next year, if that was what you wanted to do. You could trade him but that's not an easy deal to make IMO. Cap hit would be significant, not impossible but hard to manage. I think Thompson, Hurns and Dez could all see the field at the same time. The odd man out could be Williams. I don't know, at this point it's really all speculation, on my part.

I do agree that a decent Swing Tackle would have saved a few games for us. I also agree that the entire "Zeke" situation was probably killed our chances at the playoffs before the season ever got underway. I agree with you on Witten. In fact, I see a very similar opportunity for Dez, if speed is added.

I know it's hard to resist, but please try. LOL.....

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it could be as simple as just making sure that we have decent depth at WR. It's easy to overlook the fact that Dez, has really had issues staying healthy, over the last few seasons. Now, you could make the case that if Dez can not stay healthy, why keep him, and that is valid. But we have seen, in the past, Jerry tends to keep people around for reasons of his own. I don't think that Hurns is Dez and I am not certain that he could replace Dez. It's possible but I don't think that's the plan. To me, it would make more sense to cut Dez loose next year, if that was what you wanted to do. You could trade him but that's not an easy deal to make IMO. Cap hit would be significant, not impossible but hard to manage. I think Thompson, Hurns and Dez could all see the field at the same time. The odd man out could be Williams. I don't know, at this point it's really all speculation, on my part.

I do agree that a decent Swing Tackle would have saved a few games for us. I also agree that the entire "Zeke" situation was probably killed our chances at the playoffs before the season ever got underway. I agree with you on Witten. In fact, I see a very similar opportunity for Dez, if speed is added.

I know it's hard to resist, but please try. LOL.....
It appears that both the OC and WR coach pushed to replace Dez with Watkins. They definitely were not keeping Dez and Watkins because of the money.

It seems like a bad situation if those 2 coaches don't really want Dez.

Jipper

Reaction score
It appears that both the OC and WR coach pushed to replace Dez with Watkins. They definitely were not keeping Dez and Watkins because of the money.

is it that they dont want dez or that they would prefer someone else over him? Two very different things.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

I think it's reasonable to think about replacing Dez with Watkins but I don't think I buy Hurns as the same type of talent. I also think that the cap with the signing of lessor WR talent, allows you to keep Dez. I don't think that if you brought in Watkins, you could support a situation, in which you had both of those WRs salaries on the team, I agree with that.

I think the situations are a bit different. I don't know if I would draw the conclusion that the OC and the WR coach didn't want Dez. I think I could definitely buy into the idea that they wanted Watkins over Dez but that's not necessarily the same as not wanting Dez, to me.

What you say could be reasonable and even true but, I don't think I would say that it's definitive.

JMO

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It's Plato's story not mine and I already did in my first post.

Protip: even jokes have a point.

No, it's your story. I guarantee you, Plato couldn't care less if I posted a line from a movie in a message board somewhere. Only you would try to turn it into a Holy War. It's your story for sure.

As to jokes and points, I disagree. You seem to have no point all.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Now here's a little story I've got to tell
About three bad brothers you know so well
It started way back in history
With ABQ, Plato (and me) Fuzz-y

:laugh: OK, you do a way better job as Plato Police. That was pretty good. LOL.......

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
No, it's your story. I guarantee you, Plato couldn't care less if I posted a line from a movie in a message board somewhere. Only you would try to turn it into a Holy War. It's your story for sure.

As to jokes and points, I disagree. You seem to have no point all.

Oh adorable. You now think you can speak for Ancient Greek philosophers amd have gone completely to personal attacks.

I was only pointing out how your quote was wrong to claim that Socrates was surprised and dismayed from drinking the Hemlock. Socrates by all accounts not only knew what he was doing but embraced it.

You are so insecure and arrogant that you consider being corrected a holy war. That is on you and your inability to get over yourself.

Protip: don't use ignorant movie quotes to try and make a point.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Oh adorable. You now think you can speak for Ancient Greek philosophers amd have gone completely to personal attacks.

I was only pointing out how your quote was wrong to claim that Socrates was surprised and dismayed from drinking the Hemlock. Socrates by all accounts not only knew what he was doing but embraced it.

You are so insecure and arrogant that you consider being corrected a holy war. That is on you and your inability to get over yourself.

I love your Protip concept.

Protip: Trying to tell someone they are wrong on the internet, while fun, is useless.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I love your Protip concept.

Protip: Trying to tell someone they are wrong on the internet, while fun, is useless.

Correcting people that have not gotten over themselves makes them mad. It's not for his sake though; I'm familiar with ABQ and he would say the sky was green just to contradict me. I'm pointing out for everyone else that he uses quotes that he doesn't understand.

The whole point of Socrates' story is to embrace hardship and make the best of it. That is the exact opposite of what he and most other people in this thread are doing. Instead he takes the story and makes it about being duped --playing the victim-- based on a movie quote.

It's just ignorant.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

Actually no. That would be you Fuzzy. You see, that's what is so funny about all of this. You believe that you are an authority on just about everything. You also believe that it gives you the right to bolviate at will.

The joke is a joke because it plays on the fact that Socrates was surprised. Nobody actually believes that Fuzzy. It's just a joke, a play on words from an old movie. What's really funny is that you have somehow convinced yourself that any of this is of importance. It's not, it's just a joke.

You accuse everybody of attacking you but the truth is, you bring it on yourself and then you cry about it to everybody on the daily. Nobody cares about this discussion Fuzzy. Seriously, we are probably just boring everybody.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Correcting people that have not gotten over themselves makes them mad. It's not for his sake though; I'm familiar with ABQ and he would say the sky was green just to contradict me. I'm pointing out for everyone else that he uses quotes that he doesn't understand.

The whole point of Socrates' story is to embrace hardship and make the best of it. That is the exact opposite of what he and most other people in this thread are doing. Instead he takes the story and makes it about being duped --playing the victim-- based on a movie quote.

It's just ignorant.
Ignorant is probably a bit harsh. I'm willing to admit I'm not at the top of my Socrates/Plato game.

And trust me, it's easy to talk at people and not talk too them. The net is very impersonal. But ABQs a good guy. I don't think this was some disinformation attack to disparage Plato or the Greeks.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Actually no. That would be you Fuzzy. You see, that's what is so funny about all of this. You believe that you are an authority on just about everything. You also believe that it gives you the right to bolviate at will.

The joke is a joke because it plays on the fact that Socrates was surprised. Nobody actually believes that Fuzzy. It's just a joke, a play on words from an old movie. What's really funny is that you have somehow convinced yourself that any of this is of importance. It's not, it's just a joke.

You accuse everybody of attacking you but the truth is, you bring it on yourself and then you cry about it to everybody on the daily. Nobody cares about this discussion Fuzzy. Seriously, we are probably just boring everybody.

No, I believe that there is an objective verifiable truth. I never claim to be an authority on anything. I never ask people to simply take me at my word. You were wrong and your self importance and need for authority got up in arms. It's cliche.

Socrates was not surprised and took the poison knowing full well what it was. The clergy of Athens condemned him to death and he had accepted it; Pericles could do nothing. They never tricked him and he was not surprised. It is interesting that you double down on your ignorance.

And my point was not to complain about the personal attacks. My point was to say you are relying only on that ie you have no leg to stand on. You once again completely missed my point Now you are desperately trying to speak for other people when most people don't want to get in the middle of arguments. It's amusing watching you try and obfuscate.

I never said it was of much importance. I simply pointed out that Socrates was not surprised and famously embraced his fate. You have been trying to deflect from your mistake rather than just admitting it and moving on. If you weren't so full of hubris this wouldn't have gone on so long.