Twitter: Cowboys Signing Aldon Smith to 1-yr/$4M Deal (must be reinstated first)

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I dont see Smith and even Gregory taking Chaisson out of consideration at 17 if he is there.

I hope this is the case but the problem is that while drafting talent along the DL is certainly a good idea, the chances of that guy coming in and producing the way we need them to, to afford us a chance to have success in the post season is small. We need guys who can be healthy and contribute. I don't know that a rookie can do that. That's really my issue with what we've done thus far.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I hope this is the case but the problem is that while drafting talent along the DL is certainly a good idea, the chances of that guy coming in and producing the way we need them to, to afford us a chance to have success in the post season is small. We need guys who can be healthy and contribute. I don't know that a rookie can do that. That's really my issue with what we've done thus far.
I see what you mean. Ive believed since Quinn left and we showed no interest in others that Gregory was their 2020 plan for better or worse. Not that I am saying that is the smart play

Kwyn

Reaction score
Look, if you want to act like the team never does this or this never happens, that's fine. You go ahead and do that but don't try and convince me of it. I've seen it too many times.

We draft DLineman every year and how many of those guys are starters now? One? How long did that take? This last post you made is wasting my time just responding. If this is what you want to believe, that's fine. We get the team we deserve and this post, from you, is certainly proof of that.
I just think you have an NFL forum “ expert” mentality but don’t really understand how things work. Even worse, you *think* that you know more about how to run a front office than the people who get paid hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of dollars to do that job.

You don’t know what they are thinking. Stop pretending you do. It’s fantasy.

Speaking of fantasy, we have plenty of posters who are “draft experts” who are really only experts on trades in Madden.

Don’t be one of those

Kwyn

Reaction score
True. But there are some short term deals pretty close to it. Some money ends up being guaranteed up front, but pretty much what they would have paid him after one year anyway.
I agree. I think those are usually for those low-value veterans or steady third stringers who will never make more than the minimum or close to it.

For a player like Smith, who could potentially set himself up for a big payday if he plays well, it wouldn’t make sense to do more than one year.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I see what you mean. Ive believed since Quinn left and we showed no interest in others that Gregory was their 2020 plan for better or worse. Not that I am saying that is the smart play

Yeah, I agree. That was kinda writing on the wall for me as well. To be honest, I'm hoping that Armstrong shows up and takes a big step forward but I don't know if he's there. Seems like every year, this team outsmarts itself. Last year it was Backup QB. Didn't want to spend the money on a decent backup when it was clear that it was an obvious weakness. All you heard was that Dak never got hurt. What did we see? If we can believe the stories, a beat to hell Dak in Philly lose the season because we couldn't complete wide open passes.

More then just a little bit annoying to watch this year after year.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I just think you have an NFL forum “ expert” mentality but don’t really understand how things work. Even worse, you *think* that you know more about how to run a front office than the people who get paid hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of dollars to do that job.

You don’t know what they are thinking. Stop pretending you do. It’s fantasy.

Speaking of fantasy, we have plenty of posters who are “draft experts” who are really only experts on trades in Madden.

Don’t be one of those

Says the guy who's been here for like 10 minutes. Yeah, thanks for your input. I'll contemplate now.

:laugh:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All of these guys are much closer to the end then to the beginning. I think the team can not afford to invest in the position going forward. I think McCarthy has to if he wants to have long term success.
"Closer to the end than the beginning" means they don't have 10-12 years left, but it certainly can mean 2-3 good years left, and that's easily enough to reduce the urgency to fill those positions immediately, and certainly enough to feel like they don't have to stretch for a D-Lineman if they aren't high on the choices when their turn comes up in the draft. I certainly don't think the expectation with McCoy, for example, is that we cut him or make him a part time player after 1 season. The possible exception might be at RDE where we don't have any certainty of a player to get us by for a couple of years.

johneric8

Reaction score
I’ll play along. The Saints took a cheap lottery ticket on Dez because they were desperate. The fact remains that Dez played very poorly since he signed his second contract with us, and that has not changed. He scorched the earth on the way out and burned bridges down on the way out.

I suspect that he was more of a problem behind the scenes than most people knew.

Is it plausible that Dez has been humbled enough to take a back seat and be a contributor? I don’t think so. Did Witten embrace a backup role last year? No. Too much ego involved. Dez will most likely always be the Dez that sees himself as in his prime. That’s why he never cared to learn to run a proper route.

Okay, I'll play along as well. Yes the Saints took a inexpensive chance on Dez, but they took the chance none the less, and they're a smart organization from top to bottom. It's basically the same kind of a chance that the cowboys may be willing to take, but who knows.

I don't agree that Dez played poorly after his second contract. I think it was a situation of multiple issues that some of which weren't dez's fault. He was dealing with Scott Linehan, Jason Garrett's horrible playbook and a QB in Romo whom was having a hard time staying healthy. The chemistry issue with Dak and Dez was an adjustment that never transpired and at that point Dez was still being forced the ball as a number one receiver.

The situation now is different. Sure Dez is older, but he just wants to play and contribute in any way he can and probably happy to just get on the field. One thing you said that I take exception with is when you bring up witten as an example of a returning player not knowing how to take a backseat. If you're honest with yourself you will have to admit that Witten being on the field as much as he was had more to do our coaching staff, or more namely Jason Garrett's ineptitude. Sure Witten could of been a nice backup but he wasn't effective in blocking anymore so Garrett should of allowed Jarwin way more playing time.

dagreat1_87

Reaction score
He had two great seasons in 2011 and 2012 where he put up 33.5 sacks. It was a steady decline after that. His last two seasons in the NFL in 2014 and 2015 he produced only 5.5 sacks. He’ll be 31 by the start of next season and there’s not likely to be a next season with this pandemic. Smith has been out of the league too long and has had too many issues to make a real impact. He won’t produce what Greg Hardy did.

his last two seasons he played a combined 16 games (7 in 2014 and 9 in 2015), and didn't even start all of them because he was either just coming back from suspension or joining the team after the season already started, so saying only 5.5 sacks isn't really telling the whole picture. Not saying he's going to be a major force but we can't act like he was just a awful player by the time he got suspended indefinitely.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
his last two seasons he played a combined 16 games (7 in 2014 and 9 in 2015), and didn't even start all of them because he was either just coming back from suspension or joining the team after the season already started, so saying only 5.5 sacks isn't really telling the whole picture. Not saying he's going to be a major force but we can't act like he was just a awful player by the time he got suspended indefinitely.

He played 7 games in 2014 and had 2 sacks and played 9 games in 2015 and had 3.5 sacks so the pace he was on his first 2 seasons had slowed dramatically. It’s been 8 years since he looked like a real good player and he hasn’t played football in 4 years. No one has been able to come up with a player who’s been away from football for 4 years who returned to make an impact. With the virus crisis and Smith still being suspended he won’t have a full offseason to prepare.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
"Closer to the end than the beginning" means they don't have 10-12 years left, but it certainly can mean 2-3 good years left, and that's easily enough to reduce the urgency to fill those positions immediately, and certainly enough to feel like they don't have to stretch for a D-Lineman if they aren't high on the choices when their turn comes up in the draft. I certainly don't think the expectation with McCoy, for example, is that we cut him or make him a part time player after 1 season. The possible exception might be at RDE where we don't have any certainty of a player to get us by for a couple of years.

I don't agree. The goal is to win a championship. In two to three years, a guy you draft along the DL might, might, be ready to become an effective starter. However, by then, the window is closed and so the opportunity is gone. I mean, that's the whole point right? RDE is what we are really talking about here, is it not? We have young players at both DT positions in Woods, who has starting experience, and Hill who will hopefully develop into a starter. At RDE, the only real player we have who we can say has been on the team the last few seasons is Armstrong. Now I'm very hopeful that he turns the corner this season but to this point, he hasn't really show enough to get snaps so it's obviously a concern. This is the position we are talking about here. It's not DT.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't agree. The goal is to win a championship. In two to three years, a guy you draft along the DL might, might, be ready to become an effective starter. However, by then, the window is closed and so the opportunity is gone. I mean, that's the whole point right? RDE is what we are really talking about here, is it not? We have young players at both DT positions in Woods, who has starting experience, and Hill who will hopefully develop into a starter. At RDE, the only real player we have who we can say has been on the team the last few seasons is Armstrong. Now I'm very hopeful that he turns the corner this season but to this point, he hasn't really show enough to get snaps so it's obviously a concern. This is the position we are talking about here. It's not DT.
The window is already closed, remember? When Romo and Witten got old and were gone it was going to slam shut.

But that's actually not reality, despite the way people portray it at times. The whole point of the draft and free agency is to keep the window open, and the idea that the window can only stay open by drafting a D-lineman at the top of the 2020 draft isn't reality either. There are other positions that we need immediate help as well as being a future need if not filled, and those positions will also need to be covered to keep the window open, as well as to open it as wide as possible in the present.

Plus, there will be free agency and a draft all over again next year, so if a position is covered the next 2-3 years, the 2020 draft is not the last shot to fill it beyond that.

Besides, it's not really a good way to build a team (and therefore keep the window open) to commit to one position that isn't even an immediate need to the extent you are willing to take/stretch for a lesser prospect over taking a better prospect at a position that is both and immediate an future need.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The window is already closed, remember? When Romo and Witten got old and were gone it was going to slam shut.

But that's actually not reality, despite the way people portray it at times. The whole point of the draft and free agency is to keep the window open, and the idea that the window can only stay open by drafting a D-lineman at the top of the 2020 draft isn't reality either. There are other positions that we need immediate help as well as being a future need if not filled, and those positions will also need to be covered to keep the window open, as well as to open it as wide as possible in the present.

Plus, there will be free agency and a draft all over again next year, so if a position is covered the next 2-3 years, the 2020 draft is not the last shot to fill it beyond that.

Besides, it's not really a good way to build a team (and therefore keep the window open) to commit to one position that isn't even an immediate need to the extent you are willing to take/stretch for a lesser prospect over taking a better prospect at a position that is both and immediate and future need.

Well, if you want me to remember, you are going to have to show me where I've said that because I don't recall ever having said that. However, we are 5 years removed from that time so no, I don't think that has any bearing on our situation now.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, if you want me to remember, you are going to have to show me where I've said that because I don't recall ever having said that. However, we are 5 years removed from that time so no, I don't think that has any bearing on our situation now.
I didn't mean to suggest you said that, although I can see where it may have seemed that way. My point was only that people have talked about the "window" closing before, and that isn't really an accurate way to portray things.

There is no defined window that is certain to close, and to suggest there is indicates that a team cannot restock and supplement through the draft and free agency. Clearly a team can, otherwise the window you say is open now would not be open.

And, again, I'm still confused on why filling D-Line would be the only position that can be addressed at the top of the 2020 draft that would help keep the window open, especially if guys like McCoy and Poe buy us 2-3 years before we need that next guy to step in. Again, free agency and the draft will happen again next year, and the year after. I'm also confused how it actually helps keep the window open if a team is willing to take a lesser prospect to fill a position that isn't even an immediate need over a prospect they like better at a position the team feels is an immediate need. Surely a better prospect that fills a need for both the present and future is preferable to a lesser prospect that may not even be needed for a significant role for a year or two.

Flamma

Reaction score
I agree. I think those are usually for those low-value veterans or steady third stringers who will never make more than the minimum or close to it.

For a player like Smith, who could potentially set himself up for a big payday if he plays well, it wouldn’t make sense to do more than one year.

It wouldn't make sense for him. I just wasn't sure how much leverage he has at the moment. Because I think it would have made sense for the Cowboys.

Verdict

Reaction score
Okay, I'll play along as well. Yes the Saints took a inexpensive chance on Dez, but they took the chance none the less, and they're a smart organization from top to bottom. It's basically the same kind of a chance that the cowboys may be willing to take, but who knows.

I don't agree that Dez played poorly after his second contract. I think it was a situation of multiple issues that some of which weren't dez's fault. He was dealing with Scott Linehan, Jason Garrett's horrible playbook and a QB in Romo whom was having a hard time staying healthy. The chemistry issue with Dak and Dez was an adjustment that never transpired and at that point Dez was still being forced the ball as a number one receiver.

The situation now is different. Sure Dez is older, but he just wants to play and contribute in any way he can and probably happy to just get on the field. One thing you said that I take exception with is when you bring up witten as an example of a returning player not knowing how to take a backseat. If you're honest with yourself you will have to admit that Witten being on the field as much as he was had more to do our coaching staff, or more namely Jason Garrett's ineptitude. Sure Witten could of been a nice backup but he wasn't effective in blocking anymore so Garrett should of allowed Jarwin way more playing time.

You are making excuses for why Dez sucked after he signed his second contract putting it on everyone other than Dez. There is a reason he hasn’t been signed by another team.

I have heard how if we cut Dez he would be signed to a mega deal and we would rue the day! Well that hasn’t happened yet.

Teams have seen Dez’ workouts because they are being posted periodically. Yet no one has bitten yet. Why do you think that is?

We just SIGNED a guy and agreed to pay him real money who hasn’t even been reinstated yet based on the fact that he MIGHT play this year.

We haven’t done the same with Dez. What does that tell you? They either think he can’t play (most likley) or that he is a real problem (most likley) or both (even more likely). Follow the money trail. It will tell you who teams think can still can play and who cannot.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I didn't mean to suggest you said that, although I can see where it may have seemed that way. My point was only that people have talked about the "window" closing before, and that isn't really an accurate way to portray things.

There is no defined window that is certain to close, and to suggest there is indicates that a team cannot restock and supplement through the draft and free agency. Clearly a team can, otherwise the window you say is open now would not be open.

And, again, I'm still confused on why filling D-Line would be the only position that can be addressed at the top of the 2020 draft that would help keep the window open, especially if guys like McCoy and Poe buy us 2-3 years before we need that next guy to step in. Again, free agency and the draft will happen again next year, and the year after. I'm also confused how it actually helps keep the window open if a team is willing to take a lesser prospect to fill a position that isn't even an immediate need over a prospect they like better at a position the team feels is an immediate need. Surely a better prospect that fills a need for both the present and future is preferable to a lesser prospect that may not even be needed for a significant role for a year or two.

Here is the real issue I see. The commitments we have made and, will make contractually, are going to lock us in to being an Offensive team. Because of this, the key to me is the OL. Once that goes, it's going to be very tough for us to come back. Fredbeard is already gone, Smith has maybe two or three real years left, before he becomes a part time player IMO. Collins is Fine. Martin will be the transition piece but honestly, he's had two season fighting injury now and hard to know if that is going to continue or go away. We got lucky, IMO, with our drafting of OLs. We drafted a lot of guys who panned out for us and we took them early so the value there was substantial. However, if we missed on any of those guys, it hurts your team substantially. Really, really bad to miss on high draft picks. As we go forward and as we lose players, it's going to be tough to match that kind of production through the draft and even tougher to dedicate so many resources to the OL. We have Williams who the Fan Base hates and we have McGovern, who we don't know about yet but we are far from done there. Another 3 seasons and I think Zeke is done. We are going to have to retool. This is why I say we have a 2 or 3 year window.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here is the real issue I see. The commitments we have made and, will make contractually, are going to lock us in to being an Offensive team. Because of this, the key to me is the OL. Once that goes, it's going to be very tough for us to come back. Fredbeard is already gone, Smith has maybe two or three real years left, before he becomes a part time player IMO. Collins is Fine. Martin will be the transition piece but honestly, he's had two season fighting injury now and hard to know if that is going to continue or go away. We got lucky, IMO, with our drafting of OLs. We drafted a lot of guys who panned out for us and we took them early so the value there was substantial. However, if we missed on any of those guys, it hurts your team substantially. Really, really bad to miss on high draft picks. As we go forward and as we lose players, it's going to be tough to match that kind of production through the draft and even tougher to dedicate so many resources to the OL. We have Williams who the Fan Base hates and we have McGovern, who we don't know about yet but we are far from done there. Another 3 seasons and I think Zeke is done. We are going to have to retool. This is why I say we have a 2 or 3 year window.

That's still part of what I don't understand though. If we only have a 2-3 year window, and you believe it's inevitable that the window will shut, why would you focus the top of your draft on a player that may not even break into the starting lineup until the end of the window rather than a player at another position that can help immediately? Especially if that player is considered a lesser prospect than the one that can help immediatly?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think D-Line is out of the question, but I don't understand the idea that D-Line is the only option regardless of what players are available and how the team feels about them, especially given that with the signing of McCoy and Poe that player might not even play a significant role until the window you expect is almost closed anyway.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
That's still part of what I don't understand though. If we only have a 2-3 year window, and you believe it's inevitable that the window will shut, why would you focus the top of your draft on a player that may not even break into the starting lineup until the end of the window rather than a player at another position that can help immediately? Especially if that player is considered a lesser prospect than the one that can help immediatly?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think D-Line is out of the question, but I don't understand the idea that D-Line is the only option regardless of what players are available and how the team feels about them, especially given that with the signing of McCoy and Poe that player might not even play a significant role until the window you expect is almost closed anyway.

You are asking me as if we are discussing my choice. This is not what I would have done. As you well know, I am not on the same page as many in the organization, in terms of personnel. No, what I am telling you is that drafting a DL is helpful but it doesn't solve the immediate problem IMO. The choice of DL is what Stephen said the team will do.

You are confused.