Twitter: Cowboys Signing Aldon Smith to 1-yr/$4M Deal (must be reinstated first)

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Honestly, unless they can get some clarity on Kinlaw's knee, they may pass on him, especially if Henderson is there.

I guess it's a possibility, but not a bet I would make. They recently took a chance on a player with a much worse knee issue.

jsb357

Reaction score
I hope he get's put on the commissioner's exempt list

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You have no idea what they are planning or not planning.

I doubt that signing a guy four years out of the league with all that baggage made everyone in the war room jump up and down and made Jerry scream out ”WE GOT US A WAR DADDY!!!”

Right, because this team has never done this kind of thing before right?

:laugh:

Kwyn

Reaction score
hey Corso--- yeah its been almost 5 years since Aldon played a snap....the upside...no wear and tear from overuse in football....the upside...no guaranteed money.....the upside is Reggie White and Doleman of Vikings and Bruce Smith played late in their 30's and where very successful....and Smith did not rely on being super fast to begin with...so his understanding how to shed blockers and get to QB he still has in his head ( i would think? )....pair Smith with Gregory and I can
see cowboys getting back 11 sacks they lost losing Quinn....i dont see that possibility being impossible...downside now....how much did his over drinking and drug use ravage his body?...he is 30 and that is not too old....i think it was Riser who commented one name when this thread started.."Will McClay"......overall i think it is a very smart move by Dallas.....little downside and a lot of upside in potential....but percentages are not in Cowboys favor...but maybe they hit on this?
what do you think ol friend?
Glazer also said Smith is absolutely shredded and at his playing weight now

I think it’s all about where his head is at and if he can maintain sobriety. The body should not be a problem

Kwyn

Reaction score
If that happens the Cowboys will get another comp pick.
I agree. But as long as there were going to be no guarantees, they should have signed him to at least 2 years. If he sucks, he'll be gone. But on the off chance he lights it up, he'll follow right in Quinn's footsteps and be gone after a year.
thats how “prove-it” deals work. One year, low rush but low reward. Go out and earn a “real” contract.

you don’t sign two or three year “prove”it deals. Kinda defeats the purpose.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I think it’s all about where his head is at and if he can maintain sobriety. The body should not be a problem

I believe I read that he's around 275, which is about 10 pounds heavier than he was listed earlier in his career. If he can carry that extra weight without losing quickness that will be beneficial to him playing end in the 4-3.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
but there is no risk?

He will receive $90,000 when he's reinstated and an additional $50,000 thirty days after, followed by a $100,000 payout when he reports to training camp

$100,000 more after he shows up for two preseason games and a final August payout of $100,000 at the end of the preseason

If Smith successfully reports to all of the above but fails to make the final roster, the Cowboys will only lose $440,000 total with the deal.

-- per Todd Archer of ESPN.

How is that jeopardizing the Dak/Zeke/O-Line window?

Did you even read the thread? Based on this post, I have to assume you didn't.

There is risk. The risk is that they will not address the position further. The risk is that come week 8, we could be looking at the team signing guys off the street because both Gregory or Smith are on the shelf. It's not as if the team hasn't done this in the past.

As far as not understanding how this effects the Offense, well, it's another wasted season and the excuse will be "Hey, we tried to address the problem." Same old story. In truth, I don't understand why this has to be explained but fine, it's explained now. The window with this team is probably two to three years now, IMO. After that, we will likely be replacing parts and we really can't afford to just throw away seasons because we don't address important weaknesses, if we want to have a chance to win.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I could see D-Line easily, even with D-Law locked in long term and the signings of Poe and McCoy. I could also see CB.

Stephen told us it would be DLine months ago. Problem is 17 is not a great position so it really depends on how the draft unfolds.

Kwyn

Reaction score

There is risk. The risk is that they will not address the position further. The risk is that come week 8, we could be looking at the team signing guys off the street because both Gregory or Smith are on the shelf. It's not as if the team hasn't done this in the past.

As far as not understanding how this effects the Offense, well, it's another wasted season and the excuse will be "Hey, we tried to address the problem." Same old story. In truth, I don't understand why this has to be explained but fine, it's explained now. The window with this team is probably two to three years now, IMO. After that, we will likely be replacing parts and we really can't afford to just throw away seasons because we don't address important weaknesses, if we want to have a chance to win.
I’m sorry, I forgot where I read the part where you are in their meetings where they said “all done, don’t bother even looking at d-line in free agency or the draft. We’ve got Aldon Smith”

You have some ridiculous assumption that this is some sort of zero sum equation where signing what amounts to a camp body is a precursor to some mid-season playoff run killing series of decisions.

Your entire thought process on this is simply out of touch with the reality of how NFL front offices work

We draft D-Line ever year. We will get one or more this year. If we don’t draft the one *you* want, it will have nothing to do with Aldon SmitH

We need a CB in the first round anyway, not a D-lineman

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

I think it’s all about where his head is at and if he can maintain sobriety. The body should not be a problem[/QUOTE]

Bingo!!!!! ......give him a couple of games to get in football shape, I honestly think his game will be fine but at the of the day, he's an alcoholic that's one drink away from going back to square one. As you said, that's his demon/struggle, not playing.

Flamma

Reaction score
I think (though it's really just an assumption) that it would be much tougher to put together a no guarantee type deal like this and have it be more than one year. I can't recall any '2 year prove it' deals.
thats how “prove-it” deals work. One year, low rush but low reward. Go out and earn a “real” contract.

you don’t sign two or three year “prove”it deals. Kinda defeats the purpose.

True. But there are some short term deals pretty close to it. Some money ends up being guaranteed up front, but pretty much what they would have paid him after one year anyway.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stephen told us it would be DLine months ago. Problem is 17 is not a great position so it really depends on how the draft unfolds.
Months ago they didn't have McCoy and Poe, besides, they still have to see who is available when they pick. If the D-Line choice that is available is not who they want but they like a CB that is available, I have to believe they would go with the CB.

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score

lolololol
they probably weren't going to address the position any further in FA anyway. they still will if a guy they like falls to them in the draft.
all this panic and whining from you regarding a guy who is guaranteed absolutely nothing but an outside chance has to be exhausting. go rest, boomer, and calm down.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

I dont see Smith and even Gregory taking Chaisson out of consideration at 17 if he is there.

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
Way too long to be out of football, just sounds like a Jerry Jones reclamation job doomed to failure but not until some damage has been done to the team's chemistry, culture, and attitude.

Kevin Hardy part two.

lol you don't even know the dude's name....

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I’m sorry, I forgot where I read the part where you are in their meetings where they said “all done, don’t bother even looking at d-line in free agency or the draft. We’ve got Aldon Smith”

You have some ridiculous assumption that this is some sort of zero sum equation where signing what amounts to a camp body is a precursor to some mid-season playoff run killing series of decisions.

Your entire thought process on this is simply out of touch with the reality of how NFL front offices work

We draft D-Line ever year. We will get one or more this year. If we don’t draft the one *you* want, it will have nothing to do with Aldon SmitH

We need a CB in the first round anyway, not a D-lineman

Look, if you want to act like the team never does this or this never happens, that's fine. You go ahead and do that but don't try and convince me of it. I've seen it too many times.

We draft DLineman every year and how many of those guys are starters now? One? How long did that take? This last post you made is wasting my time just responding. If this is what you want to believe, that's fine. We get the team we deserve and this post, from you, is certainly proof of that.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Months ago they didn't have McCoy and Poe, besides, they still have to see who is available when they pick. If the D-Line choice that is available is not who they want but they like a CB that is available, I have to believe they would go with the CB.

All of these guys are much closer to the end then to the beginning. I think the team can not afford, not to invest in the position, going forward. I think McCarthy has to if he wants to have long term success.

Last edited:

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
Look, if you want to act like the team never does this or this never happens, that's fine. You go ahead and do that but don't try and convince me of it. I've seen it too many times.

We draft DLineman every year and how many of those guys are starters now? One? How long did that take? This last post you made is wasting my time just responding. If this is what you want to believe, that's fine. We get the team we deserve and this post, from you, is certainly proof of that.

my lord you're so corny

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
lolololol
they probably weren't going to address the position any further in FA anyway. they still will if a guy they like falls to them in the draft.
all this panic and whining from you regarding a guy who is guaranteed absolutely nothing but an outside chance has to be exhausting. go rest, boomer, and calm down.

This is weird. You post as if anybody cares about your opinion. :laugh: Astonishing.