Signed by Cowboys Cowboys signing Anthony Barr

Jarntt

Reaction score
Dallas only uses two LBs on any given play.

The defense ran 12 snaps all season in base defense (3 LBs).
And we had the run defense to prove it. Hopefully we see more 3 LB sets this year…

Jarntt

Reaction score
I have issues with these dweebs in the front office failing to sign these guys when they have enough value in this league to make a real difference. Barr hasn't had a healthy season since 2017, his last two seasons have been injuries that made either miss nearly the entire season or nagged at him causing for performance to drop or not be available. But we'll give away a first round draft pick for a luxury player like Cooper that is gone in 3 years.

Jerry Jones doesn't have that magic anymore to get any player he wants to come play here, and Stephen doesn't seem to have the same negotiating skills his father did.
Thats exactly why you get them on a cheap one year deal with little downside. It’s a depth signing with potential to start. I don’t get the negativity. It’s not like anyone is expecting a Pro Bowler. We have a superstar who will be playing some edge and moving around a lot leaving snaps for others to fill, a former first round pick who other than the last couple games of last year has been horrible for two years and a young kid who I love and has big potential, but has like a dozen snaps in the league and coming off a major injury. We absolutely needed a guy with the potential to start if needed, with some flex to rush a little and play in the base D and who won’t cost a lot so if he doesn’t play too much it won’t hurt and if really doesn’t work out you can let him go.

Jarntt

Reaction score
The starters ?
Gallimore and Watkins / Gholston probably are the starters and Osa, Hill, Bohanna, Ridgeway - some combo of these will be backups . Did I miss anyone?
God I hope they don’t think Golston can start at DT. He’ll be blown off the line all game long. In the nickel, sure let’s give him some reps if he seems up to the task, but not on early downs. Also, I don’t think Watkins gets the run he got last year. I look for Osa and hopefully one of the other kids to start pushing for more and more snaps.

slick325

Reaction score
I'm ok with this pick up. Defense could be very good if youngsters take that next step and Quinn has his grove.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
God I hope they don’t think Golston can start at DT. He’ll be blown off the line all game long. In the nickel, sure let’s give him some reps if he seems up to the task, but not on early downs. Also, I don’t think Watkins gets the run he got last year. I look for Osa and hopefully one of the other kids to start pushing for more and more snaps.

I could see Golston being a possibility at 5-tech with the run D. He's 270-plus and considered a decent run defender; not much different than Odighizuwa.

plasticman

Reaction score
Played in 11 games last season yet had more INT's than the previous seven seasons combined, four of them Pro Bowl seasons. Also recovered 2 fumbles. Sure seems to me like he's got something left in the tank.

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
Thats exactly why you get them on a cheap one year deal with little downside. It’s a depth signing with potential to start. I don’t get the negativity. It’s not like anyone is expecting a Pro Bowler. We have a superstar who will be playing some edge and moving around a lot leaving snaps for others to fill, a former first round pick who other than the last couple games of last year has been horrible for two years and a young kid who I love and has big potential, but has like a dozen snaps in the league and coming off a major injury. We absolutely needed a guy with the potential to start if needed, with some flex to rush a little and play in the base D and who won’t cost a lot so if he doesn’t play too much it won’t hurt and if really doesn’t work out you can let him go.
bang on

to be honest i think about it this way... they are paying 2M to keep Jabril from being forced onto the field with too many snaps too early into his season, which may avoid a set-back. This way they can bring him along at his own pace, and in that 2M you also get a great mind and mentor in the LB room who has a lot of experience...which can help Jabril, Damon and even Parsons a bit i.e. familiarity with the Packers offense, the NFC North division who we play this year... there is a lot of upside to this for $2M

Understand everyone is crying for a receiver but whatever is out there isn't commanding much this is a great use of cap folks just expect too much

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
he is probably a blitzing LB, run stopper as he is a big liability in coverage. I think we are just hedging our bet. not sure if he will play the left side or right side....

so lets temper the enthusiasm. its been a few years since he has really done anything. he is not Miller and won't be an impact player....

a liability in coverage? Ummm no he’s not. Go watch some film on him