Signed by Cowboys Cowboys signing S Jeron Johnson

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
First, he said the defense was getting eaten up on intermediate routes - of course he only said that after I showed we weren't giving up deep plays. The fact is we are giving up most in the passing game on short throws. Its easy to generalize and point fingers at the safeties as being a big part, and of course the safeties play a part, but the fact remains safeties are mostly over the top help, and the Cowboys aren't giving up very many plays over the top. That doesn't mean they are a great group of safeties, but fans should at least get their facts straight.

It depends on how the team is using its safeties. In a single-high look, like the Cowboys use, one of the safeties is nearer the LOS and the corners are often deep.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It depends on how the team is using its safeties. In a single-high look, like the Cowboys, one of the safeties is nearer the LOS.
I'm said safeties are mostly over the top help, not exclusively

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So go find a new “dream”! Something that makes you happy!

A safety we’re not familiar with. Some will assume an upgrade, some won’t. Anyone have a synopsis from a viable football person?

That's what I was looking for. Somebody called him "an upgrade" I'm asking why. And when nobody can give me an answer, I'll just chalk it up to another baseless claim.

Sydla

Reaction score
First, he said the defense was getting eaten up on intermediate routes - of course he only said that after I showed we weren't giving up deep plays. The fact is we are giving up most in the passing game on short throws. Its easy to generalize and point fingers at the safeties as being a big part, and of course the safeties play a part, but the fact remains safeties are mostly over the top help, and the Cowboys aren't giving up very many plays over the top. That doesn't mean they are a great group of safeties, but fans should at least get their facts straight.

My facts were straight.

The Cowboys were 26th in TDs allowed and passer rating.

Those numbers are a reflection of poor CB play and poor S play.

To suggest otherwise is ridiculous.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My facts were straight.

The Cowboys were 26th in TDs allowed and passer rating.

Those numbers are a reflection of poor CB play and poor S play.

To suggest otherwise is ridiculous.

you pointed a finger at the safeties and only added the CBs into the conversations when I pointed out we weren't giving up deep plays. it took that for you to inject a little fairness into it.

Sydla

Reaction score
you pointed a finger at the safeties and only added the CBs into the conversations when I pointed out we weren't giving up deep plays. it took that for you to inject a little fairness into it.

Because this topic is about the safeties. The fact I didn’t mention the CBs doesn’t mean I was giving them a pass. Denim Chicken made the comment that we aren’t much different than last year at safety, we were pretty good at safety last year and then cited yard stats to support that. I countered that with other secondary stats.

Overall safety play was average, at best, last year.

Them

Reaction score
...bring them in...bring them all in...S, G, T,CB...we need them.

ESisback

Reaction score
We signed a JAG. Not just any JAG though. A JAG that already knows the system. YAY :flagwave::yourock:

One is a camp body because our depth is currently depleted. The other, a veteran familiar with Richard that can hold the fort until Woods gets back.

ESisback

Reaction score
That's what I was looking for. Somebody called him "an upgrade" I'm asking why. And when nobody can give me an answer, I'll just chalk it up to another baseless claim.

That’s fair. The cries of doing nothing and taking a step back are kinda baseless too.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
The scrub that we just signed. The guy nobody wanted for a year.

I'd have to know who the player was who was released. If it was Chaz Green? We'll celebrate.
Showers went to IR which opened a spot. By the way I'm not arguing about if this guy will be a starter. He won't, it's just a camp body to get through preseason. I just responded to the upgrade part, if you haven't the numbers which means 0 player there than even if it's the worst player it's still an upgrade. Not sure if I explained it well

bsbellomy

Reaction score

My guess is the same people beating the drum for our newfound "fiscal responsibility"

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Showers went to IR which opened a spot. By the way I'm not arguing about if this guy will be a starter. He won't, it's just a camp body to get through preseason. I just responded to the upgrade part, if you haven't the numbers which means 0 player there than even if it's the worst player it's still an upgrade. Not sure if I explained it well

My belief was that the other safety - Sanders I believe - was signed with Showers opened roster spot? Am I mistaken?

blueblood70

Reaction score
these posts are stupid seriously we weren't looking for an Upgrade at the time, woods will be back by game 2 or 3 we needed some role players..Obviously this guy knows Kris and his system and is veteran backup..woods will be back and we have others on the roster..didnt they also bring in a young Safety as well? Georgia kid looks like hes worth a look..lets stop being the virtual SM GM.. you arent and you definitely dont know more then our scouts and coaches..ET isn't coming yet and the other dude you wanted didnt want to eb here because he wanted to eb with his old coach in MZimmerman and was asking too much to change his mind..

the egos on here that somehow they know better then real paid professionals about their teams make me ROTFLMAO..cant wait for real football and we can get back to wanting to fire Garett after a every play and say Dak is horrible and why didnt we get a real WR and TE..:)

Sydla

Reaction score
these posts are stupid seriously we weren't looking for an Upgrade at the time, woods will be back by game 2 or 3 we needed some role players..Obviously this guy knows Kris and his system and is veteran backup..woods will be back and we have others on the roster..didnt they also bring in a young Safety as well? Georgia kid looks like hes worth a look..lets stop being the virtual SM GM.. you arent and you definitely dont know more then our scouts and coaches..ET isn't coming yet and the other dude you wanted didnt want to eb here because he wanted to eb with his old coach in MZimmerman and was asking too much to change his mind..

the egos on here that somehow they know better then real paid professionals about their teams make me ROTFLMAO..cant wait for real football and we can get back to wanting to fire Garett after a every play and say Dak is horrible and why didnt we get a real WR and TE..:)

The Georgia kid is a camp body. Don't delude yourself into thinking he's some kid that's going to come in, possibly impress and fill a real depth need for us at S. He's basically Showers' replacement as camp fodder at S.

Johnson is a guy who was brought in to likely make the 53 and provide depth at S. But he's been out of football for a year and has been on a run of being cut by a few teams pretty quickly.

blueblood70

Reaction score
The Georgia kid is a camp body. Don't delude yourself into thinking he's some kid that's going to come in, possibly impress and fill a real depth need for us at S. He's basically Showers' replacement as camp fodder at S.

Johnson is a guy who was brought in to likely make the 53 and provide depth at S. But he's been out of football for a year and has been on a run of being cut by a few teams pretty quickly.
again READ IT ALL im aware of this , they are here to add depth until woods gets back, BUT STOP THE BS YOU DONT KNOW HOW THEY ARE GOING TO PLAY..ONE COULD SURPRISE AND BE CAPABLE OF DEPTH NOT JUST CAMP BODYS..

We still have Frazier to be the other starter with Heath..they were not looking for a starter was my point so threads like "championship" again stupid..but thanks