Signed by Cowboys Cowboys signing S Jeron Johnson

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
We're putting together what would be a pretty respectable expansion team roster.
College or Pro? We have gotten so Intune over they years, the only people that can understand it is the inner circle. Visitors would either think complete stupidity or do they have their own language?. :laugh:

Dre11

Reaction score
Scheme and personal familiarity led the Cowboys to Jeron Johnson, who played for Kris Richard in Seattle. “He had him for four years in Seattle, was a role player for them but did a lot of good things,” coach Jason Garrett said. “We feel like he can be a down safety. We feel like he can be a deep safety. He’ll be comfortable with what we’re teaching and should be able to pick it up quickly. The biggest thing for him is to get himself in shape enough to play at this level. I know he’s worked hard at that. We’ll get a chance to do that here over the next few days.”

i

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

This is what happened in DC.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/washington-Commanders/Commanders-release-safety-jeron-johnson

Dre11

Reaction score
https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/washington-Commanders/Commanders-release-safety-jeron-johnson

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
I have given this acquisition some real thought.

It still sucks.

Can't believe we found two utter nobodies to fill out the safety corps, and they can look at the camera with a straight face like its great.

I can say one thing about Jerry, at least he wasn't cheap.....as for Stephen, well its rather obvious he has dust on his wallet.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
They gave him Earl Thomas' would-be number.

The dream is dead.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
To be clear, I'm not saying we had great safety play last year, or that we will this year. I just don't think it's the total train wreck some believe. I agree an upgrade would help, and I definitely think depth is a concern, but I don't see the train wreck.

As for opposing passing games eating us up, the Cowboys only gave up 214 yards per game in the air. Accordingly, if the 96 rating is accurate (NFL.com shows 94.6 - still not good) it is probably based more on short passes against us with the underneath being vulnerable.

One of the best predictors of wins and losses in the NFL is passer rating differential. If you pass the ball better than your opponent, you win something like 80-85 percent of the time. Yards are far less important than the efficiency with which those yards are earned.

In terms of defensive passer rating, the Cowboys have been subpar for a long time. Safety play is a big part of it.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Can't believe we found two utter nobodies to fill out the safety corps, and they can look at the camera with a straight face like its great.
They really didn't have any intention of an "upgrade".

They like what they have in Heath and Frazier.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Some are positive, some are negative. Which are you?

I'm asking a question. One that obviously you nor anybody else can answer.

But I guess I've gotten my answer anyway as a result of no one having one. Not an "upgrade". Just some safety they signed.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score

But I guess I've gotten my answer anyway as a result of no one having one. Not an "upgrade". Just some safety they signed.
We signed a JAG. Not just any JAG though. A JAG that already knows the system. YAY :flagwave::yourock:

ESisback

Reaction score
They gave him Earl Thomas' would-be number.

The dream is dead.

So go find a new “dream”! Something that makes you happy!

A safety we’re not familiar with. Some will assume an upgrade, some won’t. Anyone have a synopsis from a viable football person?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One of the best predictors of wins and losses in the NFL is passer rating differential. If you pass the ball better than your opponent, you win something like 80-85 percent of the time. Yards are far less important than the efficiency with which those yards are earned.

In terms of defensive passer rating, the Cowboys have been subpar for a long time. Safety play is a big part of it.

First, he said the defense was getting eaten up on intermediate routes - of course he only said that after I showed we weren't giving up deep plays. The fact is we are giving up most in the passing game on short throws. Its easy to generalize and point fingers at the safeties as being a big part, and of course the safeties play a part, but the fact remains safeties are mostly over the top help, and the Cowboys aren't giving up very many plays over the top. That doesn't mean they are a great group of safeties, but fans should at least get their facts straight.