Twitter: Cowboys to sign OL Marcus Martin

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
First Fleming isnt really starting OL. He gave up 4 sacks in 6 games when he started. He is more of a back-up swing tackle. The problem is Cowboys don't have money to make real noise in FA and are accumulating back-up FAs which are confusing the fan base which is desperately grasping for anything that resembles progress. All Dallas needs to do is keep line as is and add LG thru draft or trade. OL tend to do better the more you leave them alone.

I can't see Dallas adding another OL, at least not with an early pick. IMO, Fleming is being brought in to be a starter.

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
He probably will be competing for the starting LG spot. They resigned Looney as a backup.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Not really purging the OL. Outside of the starters, only Chaz Green, Kadeem Edwards and Jarron Jones were under contract.

There still should be a pick at least thrown into the mix if they were smart.

With as much money as the Cowboys have invested in the starters, they would be better off with rookie depth for balance purposes going forward.

I agree that we should still draft an OL. For one thing, I'm not so sure Marcus Martin will be starter quality, but he should be good depth at G and C both.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I believe someone boldly stated Fleming wouldn't be as good as Jonathan Cooper was last year. I seem to recall Cooper being not especially good at pass protection in 2017. If Fleming can't at least equal or better what Cooper had in pass pro last year, I'd much prefer drafting either Hernandez or Wynn, if they're available. If our offense is to become "Dak friendly," we had better make doggone sure his pass protection is fully up to snuff.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cooper wasn't exaclty good news either.

I disagree. I think Cooper did a fine job.

Why this team never felt good about him, no matter what he ever did continues to baffle me. But I've never seen visual evidence, nor has anyone provided statistical evidence, that Cooper didn't do a good job and wasn't far better than the draft bust that this team tried to wedge in there at left guard.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I can't see Dallas adding another OL, at least not with an early pick. IMO, Fleming is being brought in to be a starter.

There are those saying his skill set qualifies him as either a swing tackle or guard. The staff will eventually assign his spot during TC. In the event the staff decides to go with a draftee, Fleming could be used as a temporary starter and give way to the draftee once he develops his skills as need be.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score

Why this team never felt good about him, no matter what he ever did continues to baffle me. But I've never seen visual evidence, nor has anyone provided statistical evidence, that Cooper didn't do a good job and wasn't far better than the draft bust that this team tried to wedge in there at left guard.

Otay. If Martin is gonna be called average, then Cooper has to be included.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
So none?

No evidence whatsoever.

That's what I expected.

Cooper's actual numbers refute your opinion.

lol touchy. Cooper's actual numbers with or without the help of Smith at LT and Pro browler Frederick at center to help.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I believe someone boldly stated Fleming wouldn't be as good as Jonathan Cooper was last year. I seem to recall Cooper being not especially good at pass protection in 2017. If Fleming can't at least equal or better what Cooper had in pass pro last year, I'd much prefer drafting either Hernandez or Wynn, if they're available.
If our offense is to become "Dak friendly," we had better make doggone sure his pass protection is fully up to snuff.

"FULLY up to snuff!" Exactly! No repeat of last year's crap. We've got some FA's coming in so we at least have good depth. We still need to draft a quality OT or LG depending how they arrange these guys.
Don't get halfway through the year before figuring out we should've drafted a T or G.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
lol touchy. Cooper's actual numbers with or without the help of Smith at LT and Pro browler Frederick at center to help.

Actual numbers. Show anything, anything at all to support your claim that Cooper was "average" or in any way remotely close to being in the same range of an NFL player that Marcus Martin is.

I'm not being "touchy", I'm asking someone to support a flippant opinion tossed around.

cowboyec

Reaction score

its the injury history.
and who knows what coming back from ANOTHER knee injury does to his game.
good guy but is snake bit.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
its the injury history.
and who knows coming back from ANOTHER knee injury does to his game.
good guy but is snake bit.

He held up fine last year. And he was available for every game of the season, he got hurt in week seventeen of a game that no competent head coach would have even had him playing in. And any team that continues to employ Chaz Green can in no way think that Cooper is "snake bit".

cowboyec

Reaction score
He held up fine last year. And he was available for every game of the season, he got hurt in week seventeen of a game that no competent head coach would have even had him playing in. And any team that continues to employ Chaz Green can in no way think that Cooper is "snake bit".
maybe they are about to unemploy Mr.Green.
Cooper did a solid job,but ending another season with a knee injury that required surgery is a pattern with him.The broken leg took away alot of his athleticism....and now this is....what....knee injury #3.
buyer beware.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
maybe they are about to unemploy Mr.Green.

They should , but it hasn't happened yet.

Cooper did a solid job,but ending another season with a knee injury that required surgery is a pattern with him.The broken leg took away alot of his athleticism....and now this is....what....knee injury #3.
buyer beware.

I know about the broken leg, but you would have to show me where "knee injury #3" comes from?