Cowboys To Sign RB Lache Seastrunk?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Cowboys add a running back
Posted by Josh Alper on June 8, 2015, 12:48 PM EDT
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...dd-a-running-back/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptq4owi4nwm3mzkwzdvjoddjngqymwqzngm1mtq4mwrm-e1433782113746.jpeg
Getty Images
The Cowboys have added another running back to their roster and he’s a familiar name to anyone in Texas who follows the local college football scene.

The team announced Monday that they have signed Lache Seastrunk. Seastrunk grew up in Texas and was originally set to go to Oregon, but violations tied to his recruitment helped lead him to transfer to Baylor. Seastrunk played two years for the Bears and scored 18 touchdowns before being drafted by the Commanders in the sixth round of the 2014 draft.

Seastrunk didn’t stick in Washington and bounced from Carolina to Tennessee on practice squads before the year came to an end. The Titans released him last month and he has yet to play in a regular season game.

With that resume, Seastrunk isn’t a player who is going to radically change anyone’s opinion of the team’s approach to replacing DeMarco Murray nor is he a particularly good bet to supplant Joseph Randle, Darren McFadden, Lance Dunbar or Ryan Williams from their spots on the depth chart if they’re healthy. The Cowboys released undrafted rookie running back Synjyn Days to make space for Seastrunk on the roster.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If I had made tens of millions already, I would not sign up to play for the minimum. Players in his situation often think a team will get desperate at some point and will then pay up to sign someone like him.

And he can just as easily become 'former NFL running back Chris Johnson'. It's far from any sort of given that he's demanding anything.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Because they brought in Seastrunk?

you know darn well Seastrunk is the man to challenge any stable of RBs? soooo duuuhhhhh .

PS, what does this Seastrunk bring that Days didnt? I was really hoping Days would be the younger RB we needed, i was wrong.

locked&loaded

Reaction score
you know darn well Seastrunk is the man to challenge any stable of RBs? soooo duuuhhhhh .

PS, what does this Seastrunk bring that Days didnt? I was really hoping Days would be the younger RB we needed, i was wrong.

NFL speed

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And he can just as easily become 'former NFL running back Chris Johnson'. It's far from any sort of given that he's demanding anything.
Have you noticed all of the players that have been retiring early because of the damage that playing in the NFL does to their bodies? If CJ has made 60M, why play for 800K?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Cowboys sign RB Seastrunk, LB Jackson
by Elliott Smith | Staff Writer
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/DAL/dallas-cowboys

The Cowboys announced they have signed running back Lache Seastrunk and linebacker Justin Jackson on Monday, per the Dallas Morning News.

Seastrunk excelled in high school in the Dallas area and starred at Baylor but has yet to find a niche in the NFL. He's been signed and released by the Commanders, Panthers and Titans.

Jackson has also been signed and waived by three teams, the Raiders, Panthers and Commanders.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Well, not for nothing, but Seastrunk has much more of a pedigree as an NFL prospect than the cab driver.

I was embarrassed for you guys whenever you'd wax poetic about him.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Even if they don't like the RBs on the roster, there is not much they can do about it at this point. I don't think they are satisfied with the RBs and I expect them to keep trying to upgrade whenever possible. It was a gamble to let Murray walk without a solid backup plan and they lost that gamble when the draft didn't fall in their favor. They keep saying they like these RBs, but their actions say differently.

I'm not really sure how they truly feel. Their actions during the draft show they weren't too worried about drafting a RB. Perhaps Gregory being available in the 2nd threw them a curveball, but there were opportunities in the 3rd and 4th round and they passed.

I think their recent moves at RB show their uneasiness with the backup situation. My opinion is Dunbar's limited role is no longer a luxury the team can afford to keep on the 53.

jnday

Reaction score
They don't say differently, though. It's the fans that say differently. What did they do after they lost Murray? Went out and signed McFadden for no guaranteed money. Then they went out and said going into the draft they were not necessarily going to take a RB. And they didn't draft a RB. Even at the point in the draft when they could have and when they had options available. They took a swing OT. After the draft? Then the reportedly were looking at WRs. After the draft? They added one back--who've they've just let go.

The fact that they looked at a couple of guys they didn't end up signing means very little. Signing Seastrunk? He's just a upgrade for that RB4 guy they always bring into camp to take carries so they can run their drills without overworking the three who are actually going to be on the roster.

It looks much more to me like they actually do like the guys they've got, but that they're interested in churning the bottom of that position group, too. That's not a surprise, given what we've seen them do to motivate guys with competition at a position group already.

If they were really interested in addressing RB, and if they really had missed the boat re: the draft, they'd be doing what they did two off seasons ago at OT and filling a bunch of their extra roster spots with CFAs. Or like they did last year at DE. And like they're doing this season at LB. Instead, they've got 4 spots allocated to the position and all their doing is toggling that RB4. That's hardly a commitment.

And I want to be clear, I don't love our RBs. They're all question marks and injury risks in my book. I may like a couple of the candidates better than others--and I love William's as a longshot just because of his personality, but I don't love what we've done at that position at all. I just believe it's pretty obvious at this point that the team likes its options better than we do. At the very least, I think they want to see how these guys handle the work before they consider moving a bottom-roster player or a late pick to bring in anybody else.

They was not going into the draft screaming that they wanted one of the top RBs even though it was common knowledge. Gurley or Gordon would be a Acowboy if they would have dropped. I quick look at the predraft visits gives the biggest hint at what they wanted. The cap room is there for an AP signing and I wouldn't be surprised if they trade for him if a reasonable trade can be worked out. The draft fell in the worst possible way for them to draft a RB without s trade up or s massive reach. There was not much availsble in the free agent market, but cast offs and over the hill players. DMac was not a hot commodity with teams beating down his door to sign him. So far, nothing has went right if they want a good RB. There will be some options later on when teams start cutting players. If Ajerry is so arrogant to believe that any RB can be great behind this line( it wouldn't surprise me if he was), it is s foolish decision that will cost the team several wins. A running team without a good RB would be like the Pats using Tebos as a QB.

jnday

Reaction score
I'm not really sure how they truly feel. Their actions during the draft show they weren't too worried about drafting a RB. Perhaps Gregory being available in the 2nd threw them a curveball, but there were opportunities in the 3rd and 4th round and they passed.

I think their recent moves at RB show their uneasiness with the backup situation. My opinion is Dunbar's limited role is no longer a luxury the team can afford to keep on the 53.

I agree that Dunbar may be a luxury that they can't afford. With the lack of talent at the RB position, every RB on the roster will need to be capable of playing in all situations. There is no need for a RB with a very limited skill set.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So Chris Johnson is capable of running for over 2,000 yards in a season while McFadden is barely able to reach 1,000.

Johnson is able to remain healthy, missing one game in 7 years, while McFadden has completed one full season in those same 7 years.

Johnson has rushed for 8,628 with 4,247 for McFadden.

51 rushing TD's to 25 rushing TD's.

After 7 years of evidence, everyone can clearly see what both backs are "capable of doing", and it's no contest.

whoosh.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They was not going into the draft screaming that they wanted one of the top RBs even though it was common knowledge. Gurley or Gordon would be a Acowboy if they would have dropped. I quick look at the predraft visits gives the biggest hint at what they wanted. The cap room is there for an AP signing and I wouldn't be surprised if they trade for him if a reasonable trade can be worked out. The draft fell in the worst possible way for them to draft a RB without s trade up or s massive reach. There was not much availsble in the free agent market, but cast offs and over the hill players. DMac was not a hot commodity with teams beating down his door to sign him. So far, nothing has went right if they want a good RB. There will be some options later on when teams start cutting players. If Ajerry is so arrogant to believe that any RB can be great behind this line( it wouldn't surprise me if he was), it is s foolish decision that will cost the team several wins. A running team without a good RB would be like the Pats using Tebos as a QB.

Some of the local media have said that the Cowboys had a deal with McFadden before Murray made his decision to leave. They say the Cowboys didn't want to sign him before Murray made his decision because they wanted the fans to think they tried hard to retain Murray but that Murray made the decision to leave. They implied the Cowboys were just making a show for the fans when they bumped up the offer to Murray but they knew at that point he would not take it.

The implication is that the Cowboys were giddy to get McFadden and think he has more talent than Murray.

I hear all of this on local sports talk radio. Reporters will say things on air that they won't put in print.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Thing is, though, if you look at what they actually did with their resources (picks and FA dollars), they didn't do anything at RB. It's one thing to say that they would have drafted Gurley or Gordon..but they didn't. There were still RBs available in the third and fourth rounds (assuming they didn't want to pass on Gregory). They didn't take them. They could have traded for Peterson, perhaps. They didn't.

There were things they could have done if they wanted to do something at RB. They chose to work on the pass rush and the secondary, instead. And they told us as much before the draft. It's one thing for them to say it as a smokescreen and to then pick one anyway. When they say they're not going to necessarily draft a RB (e.g.: "We don't have that as a must to come out of here with a running back,") and then they don't come out of the draft with a running back, you can pretty much take them at their word that they weren't kidding.

Murray, Spiller, Vereen, Gore, Matthews, Forsett, Ridley, Bush. Gurley, Gordon, Yeldon, Ajayi, Coleman, Johnson, Johnson, Davis, Abdullah. There were options out there if the team really wanted to add a player. Sure, I'm sure they'd have liked the luxury to do so, but they obviously had other priorities, instead.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Some of the local media have said that the Cowboys had a deal with McFadden before Murray made his decision to leave. They say the Cowboys didn't want to sign him before Murray made his decision because they wanted the fans to think they tried hard to retain Murray but that Murray made the decision to leave. They implied the Cowboys were just making a show for the fans when they bumped up the offer to Murray but they knew at that point he would not take it.

The implication is that the Cowboys were giddy to get McFadden and think he has more talent than Murray.

I hear all of this on local sports talk radio. Reporters will say things on air that they won't put in print.

Here's what Jerry had to say about McFadden and the draft, anyway. I tend to write this off as post-draft gobletty-gook myself, but part of that is probably because I just don't want to believe it.

“McFadden made a big difference here,” Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones said. “His availability – make no bones about it – we didn’t know that McFadden was going to be available when we initially started to think about this year and in our decisions regarding that. … It might have been a little different story had we not had McFadden on our roster in this draft.”

I'm not huge in getting in a new RB, either way. I just don't like the idea of relying on a guy who hasn't done it much at all and who has done nothing of not the last couple years and saying he's the difference maker in draft decisions. I'm a lot more comfortable with the idea that McFadden's the pass-protecting handicap to Randle, who the team might happen to actually like as a starter.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Have you noticed all of the players that have been retiring early because of the damage that playing in the NFL does to their bodies? If CJ has made 60M, why play for 800K?

Why reach out to the Cowboys if he doesn't?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ultimately, the teams have the leverage. The league doesn't need you. You need the league.

That's my thinking. If he didn't want to continue playing, he wouldn't. And he wouldn't be reaching out to the Cowboys to "holler at" him.