Cowboys to sign Sanchez

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Newsflash: They HAVE been caught with their pants down. The starting depth at DE is laughable. It will get better when D Law gets back-- but that still doesn't get us past what we had last year at that position anyway. Not only did they not upgrade the position-- they got worse talent-wise when Hardy crapped out.

They hedged their bet by drafting a LBer that won't even see the field this year. Brilliant. C'mon man...they were counting on Ro starting and it was a gamble that didn't pay off. We'll have to wait and see if their gamble (see a trend here?!) on Jaylon pays off.

Going to bed now...

So you have already given up. That is great. I will count my chickens after they hatch personally. What is starting depth anyway? The starters are questionable without DLaw certainly but the depth is actually decent.

They've drafted at least 1 LB every year for the past 4 years. You can pretend like Wilson, Nzeocha, and Hitchens aren't on the roster too if you would like. They also signed Gachkar and Durant. Smith would just be gravy if his peroneal strengthens.

jnday

Reaction score
I don't believe in luck. The QB they selected to be their backup worked out. The font office picked him. The coaches coached him. I guess Seattle 'lucked' into Wilson using your interpretation. It's just mental gymnastics to not give credit where credit is due.

I understand completely that you are biased against any move the front office makes. I fail to see how that is an argument for your position. It just shows you are not objective.
Give the front office credit for having several QBs rated ahead of Dak and it was nothing but luck that Dak has performed as well as he has. The front office sure didn't expect it to happen. If they did, they would have rated Dak higher and drafted him higher as well. You are trying to give them credit for drafting Dak and recognizing his talent, when actually they preferred several other QBs over Dak.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Give the front office credit for having several QBs rated ahead of Dak and it was nothing but luck that Dak has performed as well as he has. The front office sure didn't expect it to happen. If they did, they would have rated Dak higher and drafted him higher as well. You are trying to give them credit for drafting Dak and recognizing his talent, when actually they preferred several other QBs over Dak.

Again I don't believe in Luck. Again, who is to say they wouldn't have drafted two QBs and gotten Dak and another one?

I'm giving credit for what actually happened. You are playing 'what if' revisionist history.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I miss the days of the coaching staff being able to trust in their decisions on personnel. What does it say when a staff would rather let a guy with a few weeks of preparation play over a guys they've invested years into?

Guys that are playing within a few weeks of preparation obviously have shown they can play. If you invest years into a player and they're not developing and you're not winning games with them it's time to move on. With OTA's and mini camps teams are expecting quicker results than they were years ago especially with the kind of money players make. Players have to make the most of their opportunities to try and stand out and if they don't they'll be looking for another team.

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
Guess I don't understand the argument that says "If Dak goes down, it doesn't matter who the QB is, because we're going to suck".

Really?

If that's the approach, what are you saying to the rest of the players?

"All the effort you put in to make the ball club and win a championship - fuggedaboutit." or "Don't bother trying, it doesn't matter."

What are you saying to the fans?

"Don't bother showing up, we can't win anyways."

Doesn't seem like a good approach to running a profitable and competitive NFL franchise.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score

I think J, they were just as sold on his off-field intangibles as they were on his talent and the combination of the two together led them to the pick. I don't think they considered those two qualities mutually exclusive when drafting him. What I mean is you really could not justify taking him higher on just his QB talent, nor could you on just or the leadership qualities, but combined, 4th round seems about right.

So far they look pretty smart and if they are as right as some hope they are, we're set for the next 12 years at QB.

Last edited:

MSCowboyFan

Reaction score
Sanchez is a good locker room guy. If Dak goes down it was over anyway. Austin Davis wouldn't lead us to the playoffs so stop lying to yourselves

QFT. I said a week ago we'd sign him if he was cut and SO many jumped down my throat. I mean, he'll probably be gone IF Tony comes back eight wks from now...what's the big deal? Guys are irrational about QB's. Almost as bad or worse than the front office.

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
again, i dont need anyone better, i dont need to pay Sanchez to ride the bench to be sanchez, its a waste of money and a spot, take a project, take someone who is a zombie. They are both not going to do anything. IF Dak loses 3 or 4, its over anyway. So its not like Sanchez is going to save our season. So its not justified paying him

In other words, you can't back up your own bull****.

Conversation ended. Go read a book or something.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
In other words, you can't back up your own bull****.

Conversation ended. Go read a book or something.

you still havent even told me what you expect out of Sanchez. and you think i cant back up my own BS, get out of here with the weak insults, it was a bad signing and he wont be here long. Simple as that.

Kaiser

Reaction score
All I am looking at is the facts of what has and what has not occurred.

Let's review shall we?

-- They chose to sign Greg Hardy.
-- They chose to draft Gregory.
-- They chose to sign Ro.
-- They chose NOT to sign a FA backup QB (until signing Sanchez in desperation)

The biggest problems last year were at backup QB and a lack of a pass rush. Do you honestly think the front office deserves credit for handling those problem areas this offseason? If so-- you need to remove the homer glasses for a moment.

Yes, lets review. It isn't homer glasses to see your list as cherry picking every gamble that didn't work out. And like others have said here, the team didn't spend the extra money on a backup last year and now that they have, you call it "desperation". But if they hadn't, you would be screaming that we have no veteran backup (at 3rd string).

Yes, they signed Hardy. He was gamble on an All Pro talent at a critical position that only cost money to gamble on, and only one year money at that. We paid him about what the Commanders payed Jason Hatcher.

Yes, they drafted Randy Gregory. They got a top ten talent at the end of the second round and haven't gotten anything out of him, but the story isn't over yet.

They chose to sign Rolondo - right after Sean Lee had a fluke, season ending injury. And for that season, he performed very well for a minimal salary. That was a big win for 2014. They draft Hitchens after that and likely have a top five talent in Jaylon Smith taking his place.

They also drafted Dez Bryant. And Dak Prescott. And DeMarco Murray. And Travis Frederick. And Nick Martin. And Tyron Smith. And Orlando Scandrick. And got La'el Collins for free. But if anyone mentions that you will call it "Homer Glasses".

Big D

Reaction score
Guys that are playing within a few weeks of preparation obviously have shown they can play. If you invest years into a player and they're not developing and you're not winning games with them it's time to move on. With OTA's and mini camps teams are expecting quicker results than they were years ago especially with the kind of money players make. Players have to make the most of their opportunities to try and stand out and if they don't they'll be looking for another team.
I get that but I think that Showers has shown enough that he'll be the #2 behind Dak. If Dak pans out we're basically adding Sanchez to the roster for nothing and would be better served using that spot for someone who might actually play.

Bigdog

Reaction score
As a second/third string QB?

ok
I hope you know I was being sarcastic. I think it was a good pick up by the Cowboys. Sanchez has experience and did well with the Jets when they had a good running game with a good OL. Both of that the Cowboys have.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
What if Dallas goes 3-0 or 4-1 and then Dak gets injured. Do you want Sanchez or Showers to bridge the gap until Romo returns? Pretty easily Mark.......

I have more confidence in him to win a few in the interim over Showers or anyone else that was available to pick up today.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I have more confidence in him to win a few in the interim over Showers or anyone else that was available to pick up today.

I can actually see us carrying 4 QBs this year. Romo is Romo, Dak is the heir apparent, Showers is a guy that could be a good/cheap backup for several years and Sanchez is one year insurance with the option to be resigned after this season.

If we can have two Fullbacks and one Wilcox on the roster, I think we can carry 4 QBs instead of one of those three.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I get that but I think that Showers has shown enough that he'll be the #2 behind Dak. If Dak pans out we're basically adding Sanchez to the roster for nothing and would be better served using that spot for someone who might actually play.

You can't be serious? There's NO WAY Showers will be #2 behind Dak if the Cowboys sign Sanchez. Lol If Sanchez is added it's to be the #2.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
What if Dallas goes 3-0 or 4-1 and then Dak gets injured. Do you want Sanchez or Showers to bridge the gap until Romo returns? Pretty easily Mark.......

is Mark worth the price tag for 8 games, no

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I get that but I think that Showers has shown enough that he'll be the #2 behind Dak.

If you think completing 46% of his passes with three turnovers in preseason is showing enough to backup Dak then your standards must be incredibly low.