Cowboys to sign Sanchez

rpntex

Reaction score
Its hard to take preseason stats at face value when the guy is playing entirely with 3rd stringers that didn't make the team.

Playing against opposing teams third string guys that didn't make the team. While Showers' supporting cast might not have been a equal to Dak's, the field he was playing on will still level.

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I guess we'll have to wait for game day depth chart to find that out. To be honest I think we'd survive with YOU at the #2 spot at this point because I don't think that Dak is coming off the field that easily.

If Showers is #2 opening day it's because Sanchez doesn't know enough of the offense yet. Once he's up to speed he's going to be the #2 and you can book it assuming he signs. Dak may not come off the field because of his play but he may come off the field because he's injured. Anyone who assumes he's not going to be injuried isn't keeping it real. He provides a dual threat but that could put him at risk of injury and we need an experienced backup in the event he does get hurt.

Big D

Reaction score
If Showers is #2 opening day it's because Sanchez doesn't know enough of the offense yet. Once he's up to speed he's going to be the #2 and you can book it assuming he signs. Dak may not come off the field because of his play but he may come off the field because he's injured. Anyone who assumes he's not going to be injuried isn't keeping it real. He provides a dual threat but that could put him at risk of injury and we need an experienced backup in the event he does get hurt.
Well if we're keeping it real our season ended the minute Romo went down. I'm jumping on the Dak train and hoping for the best because that's all we've got but if he doesn't pan out or gets injured I really don't see Sanchez giving us more than what we got out of Weeden and Cassell last season. But hey, that's why they play the games!

ghst187

Reaction score
Think I'd rather get a bag of Doritos there over sanchez

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Well if we're keeping it real our season ended the minute Romo went down. I'm jumping on the Dak train and hoping for the best because that's all we've got but if he doesn't pan out or gets injured I really don't see Sanchez giving us more than what we got out of Weeden and Cassell last season. But hey, that's why they play the games!

It's probably that attitude that's kept the team from being successful with backup QBs. We seem to fold when Romo goes down. Other teams win with backup QBs but we can't and that falls on the coaching. Dak's play in preseason has given the fanbase some hope that we can still have a successful season without Romo. Sanchez was 4-4 as the starter with Philly in 2014 which included a blowout win over the Cowboys on Thanksgiving day. With a solid running game and some better defensive play we could stay afloat with him. The big problem with him is turnovers which is why you have to lean on the running game with him at QB.

Big D

Reaction score
It's probably that attitude that's kept the team from being successful with backup QBs. We seem to fold when Romo goes down. Other teams win with backup QBs but we can't and that falls on the coaching. Dak's play in preseason has given the fanbase some hope that we can still have a successful season without Romo. Sanchez was 4-4 as the starter with Philly in 2014 which included a blowout win over the Cowboys on Thanksgiving day. With a solid running game and some better defensive play we could stay afloat with him. The big problem with him is turnovers which is why you have to lean on the running game with him at QB.
I'm not sure the attitude has anything to do with it. It's probably the fact that even though we've built a dominant offensive line we consistently play to their weakness by passing the ball 30-40 times per game in an effort to outscore teams because our defense has no chance at making a stop when needed. We desperately need a magician at the qb position and Dak is our only hope. I'm pretty sure Sanchez is not that guy.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Seeing that Sanchez has had more success in the playoffs than Romo, and can actually finish games... It is a VERY safe assumption. Dak needs a reliable backup. Again, good pickup for Dallas.

A top defense can make a mediocre QB look good on paper if you want to talk about wins and losses. The Jets defense was one of the very best during Sanchez's time there.
I'm going to assume that you haven't really watched Sanchez play any time recently. He's a turnover machine. He was brought into Denver to take over as starter for the
defending champs who think they can return with just mid-level QB play and he blew it. If it comes down to him playing, we're in the same boat as last year.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
The bottom line is sanchez is a cowboy now so just have to deal with that lol.
I would think jg and linehan approved this pickup.
I am hoping Dak does good, and doesnt get hurt, which means sanchez wont be needed.

Also cowboys wanted cheap vet on short deal, and they got what they wanted.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The bottom line is sanchez is a cowboy now so just have to deal with that lol.
I would think jg and linehan approved this pickup.
I am hoping Dak does good, and doesnt get hurt, which means sanchez wont be needed.

Also cowboys wanted cheap vet on short deal, and they got what they wanted.

Yep, they surely did . . . they've been economizing on their backup QBs lately, what with Kellen Moore and now Mark Sanchez. Hopefully, with a healthy Dak Prescott, large and in charge as their starter now, they shouldn't require Sanchez's services. At least, that looks to be the plan that "floats their boat" the most. Lord knows, it's been like that ever since Stephen took the helm. They'll be anticipating the return of their most expensive QB in approximately two months or so. Anyhow, let's hope the Jones boys get their money's worth the next time around. -- lol.

Last edited:

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
That's cold and probably coming from a pretty young fan, something I might say in my youth - and then I learned.
They ain't loyal. I have no place for disloyal people in my life. I tolerate them...but that's as far as it goes ...too personal:(

Bigdog

Reaction score
I am extremely fluent in sarcasm (as most here probably know) and my sarcasm meter almost never fails me... it did here. My bad.

I'm getting that thing checked out.
No problem. Usually you can detect sarcasm. It was probably my fault as I was not clear enough.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
So you have already given up. That is great. I will count my chickens after they hatch personally. What is starting depth anyway? The starters are questionable without DLaw certainly but the depth is actually decent.

They've drafted at least 1 LB every year for the past 4 years. You can pretend like Wilson, Nzeocha, and Hitchens aren't on the roster too if you would like. They also signed Gachkar and Durant. Smith would just be gravy if his peroneal strengthens.

Uhh.... Nowhere did I say I "have given up". Don't put words in my mouth or twist what I am saying.

I (like all fans) hope that we are able to put together a great season. That doesn't mean I am blind to issues that this front office should address.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Yes, lets review. It isn't homer glasses to see your list as cherry picking every gamble that didn't work out. And like others have said here, the team didn't spend the extra money on a backup last year and now that they have, you call it "desperation". But if they hadn't, you would be screaming that we have no veteran backup (at 3rd string).

Yes, they signed Hardy. He was gamble on an All Pro talent at a critical position that only cost money to gamble on, and only one year money at that. We paid him about what the Commanders payed Jason Hatcher.

Yes, they drafted Randy Gregory. They got a top ten talent at the end of the second round and haven't gotten anything out of him, but the story isn't over yet.

They chose to sign Rolondo - right after Sean Lee had a fluke, season ending injury. And for that season, he performed very well for a minimal salary. That was a big win for 2014. They draft Hitchens after that and likely have a top five talent in Jaylon Smith taking his place.

They also drafted Dez Bryant. And Dak Prescott. And DeMarco Murray. And Travis Frederick. And Nick Martin. And Tyron Smith. And Orlando Scandrick. And got La'el Collins for free. But if anyone mentions that you will call it "Homer Glasses".

When we're talking about criticism-- yes, shockingly, I tend to focus on the negative areas that need to be addressed. I never claimed that this front office has failed across the board or that every decision they make is a bad one.

I am simply pointing out that they have failed to address some serious concerns on the D and backup QB.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
When we're talking about criticism-- yes, shockingly, I tend to focus on the negative areas that need to be addressed. I never claimed that this front office has failed across the board or that every decision they make is a bad one.

I am simply pointing out that they have failed to address some serious concerns on the D and backup QB.

You only assume anything they do will fail and use mental gymnastics to try and not give them credit.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

You said they get worse without seeing them play a down. That seems lie the white flag to me.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
You said they get worse without seeing them play a down. That seems lie the white flag to me.

Yep-- sorry if the names Irving, Tapper, and Mayowa don't inspire confidence in me. This was an area they needed to address, and they DID NOTHING substantial to fill holes on the roster.

If this group of DEs proves me wrong-- I will gladly come back here and admit I misjudged them. However-- when we are once again under 30 sacks as a defense, I'd like for you to acknowledge that the front office (once again) blew it. Deal?

Gabe

Reaction score
It is easy to lose sight over what could have been. This was about the best preseason imaginable any way you want to look at it. Dallas got rid of dead weight in Romo, Kellen Moore is gone, and Oakland saved us by getting Cook and Denver getting Lynch.

Meanwhile, Dallas is starting the season with the best QB and RB in the draft with weapons all around. Sanchez will provide good quality depth for the forseeable future, and may be able to teach Dak a thing or two along the way. I don't see how anyone, who is a true Dallas Cowboys fan and not a Romo fan, is not absolutely elated with how things have transpired.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
You only assume anything they do will fail and use mental gymnastics to try and not give them credit.

God bless you and your ability to NOT engage in a rational discussion. I never claimed that every decision they have made is a bad one. I am pointing out some GLARING (recent) bad decisions and inaction that have led to our current roster crisis. In other words-- I'm focusing on the problem areas. OK?

Think about it: The front office had a plan to back up Romo with KELLEN MOORE!! Are you honestly going to stand there and tell me that is acceptable after what we went through last season?

Gabe

Reaction score
Let me also add, that rival Philly traded away the farm for a subpar fragile Wentz, and the Rams mortgaged their future for a nice 3rd string project. Why anyone is complaining at this point is beyond me.