Twitter: Cowboys Tweets 1/1

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Happy New Year CowboysZone!!

Inciteful Tweet from the Sturminator on Dak:

This is not a pro/anti Dak comment before anyone with an agenda chimes in ..

My biggest issue with these kinds of stats is that they count the entire play's yardage as "deep throws" not the actual length of the pass (in the air) itself.

Again, I'm not pushing for or against Dak on this, but rather those stats tell me absolutely nothing about how good or bad Dak is on actual deep throws.

It's the same reason why Saquon Barkley's stats seem awesome when you see 60-yard runs until you actually look at what he gives you the other carries.

All Sturm's stats tell me is that the combination of Dak's throws and receivers getting more yards-after-the-catch (YAC) have improved recently.

The eye test says he is throwing the ball deeper more often lately (which is great) but since we acquired Cooper, we have also seen an increase in YAC by him and other receivers because defenses are having to play a deeper range than they were prior to his arrival.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
This is not a pro/anti Dak comment before anyone with an agenda chimes in ..

My biggest issue with these kinds of stats is that they count the entire play's yardage as "deep throws" not the actual length of the pass (in the air) itself.

Again, I'm not pushing for or against Dak on this, but rather those stats tell me absolutely nothing about how good or bad Dak is on actual deep throws.

It's the same reason why Saquon Barkley's stats seem awesome when you see 60-yard runs until you actually look at what he gives you the other carries.

All Sturm's stats tell me is that the combination of Dak's throws and receivers getting more yards-after-the-catch (YAC) have improved recently.

The eye test says he is throwing the ball deeper more often lately (which is great) but since we acquired Cooper, we have also seen an increase in YAC by him and other receivers because defenses are having to play a deeper range than they were prior to his arrival.

All analysis is subjective. Stats are used to support narratives and compare players and teams.

For example-- There are those that want to throw out Dak's W/L record (32-16) because this is a "team" game and the talent around him is the "real reason" for the W/L record. Fine-- but then does the FO not deserve more credit than it gets from this fan base for assembling that talent that is on the roster? Garrett and the staff for coaching and leading the team to three straight winning seasons and 2 division titles?

The problem a lot of fans are having boils down to who they ascribe credit to for positive success. I understand many fans' define success ONLY by playoff wins-- but the bottom line is that Dak, this FO, and this coaching staff is better than most fans realize

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All analysis is subjective. Stats are used to support narratives and compare players and teams.

For example-- There are those that want to throw out Dak's W/L record (32-16) because this is a "team" game and the talent around him is the "real reason" for the W/L record. Fine-- but then does the FO not deserve more credit than it gets from this fan base for assembling that talent that is on the roster? Garrett and the staff for coaching and leading the team to three straight winning seasons and 2 division titles?

The problem a lot of fans are having boils down to who they ascribe credit to for positive success. I understand many fans' define success ONLY by playoff wins-- but the bottom line is that Dak, this FO, and this coaching staff is better than most fans realize
As I said, I had absolutely no agenda when posting my comments.

I am saying that giving me useless stats or multi-variable stats that do not adequately represent a real measurement of progress or worth to the team is pointless.

For example, a quarterback who throws short yardage passes most of the time will have a much higher completion percentage than a quarterback who throws long yardage passes most of the time, so that invalidates overall completion percentage when comparing quarterbacks.

It is the same with running backs. Running backs who gain 0-2 yards most of the time but have at least one 50+ yard run each game will have a yards-per-carry average that matches a running back who gives you 3-7 yards per carry but never has a 15+ yard run which is why that overall stat is meaningless to me when it comes to rating or comparing running backs.

When someone says "deep throws" or "deep passes" they should actually be talking about "deep throws" or "deep passes" and not short throws that go for long distances because of yards-after-the-catch.

Bluefin

Reaction score
That's what they did with Will McClay. Richard is a very dynamic guy with huge leadership qualities, but its still a big jump from DC to HC. Hopefully he only gets offers that are good but not great and Jerry backs up a Brinks truck to keep him here.
Kris Richard is in a very good situation with the Dallas Cowboys.

He has a chance to expand his role on defense in the future, ownership that will pay to keep him and a talented, young defense to coach.

How appealing are the New York Jets and Miami Dolphins jobs in contrast?