Game Day ***Cowboys vs Seahawks post game thread***

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We;re not Seattle.

True, but if you're game plan going in is that you are going to depend on turnovers to win, you are just flipping the dice just as much as having Cassel take more shots downfield. It's not like Seattle is an overly turn-over prone team, and such things are often just luck.

Not really. The correlation between turnovers and winning is real. You don't get them, you're not going to win often. You don't get them and you give them away, you're going to lose. Taking shots downfield is fine if you can do it without turning it over. We don't have a QB available who can do that right now. No matter how much our fans want to think Matt Cassel can. If Dez doesn't play CB as well as he plays WR, we'd have seen proof of it again tonight.

wileedog

Reaction score
Not really. The correlation between turnovers and winning is real. You don't get them, you're not going to win often.
I never said otherwise, I said you can't count on them as part of your gameplan.

We don't have a QB available who can do that right now. No matter how much our fans want to think Matt Cassel can. If Dez doesn't play CB as well as he plays WR, we'd have seen proof of it again tonight.

There needs to be a medium somewhere. And this is where it ties back to coaching, the staff needs to find a way to open up the field while at the same time limiting Cassel's risk. You are not going to win when you are a run first team and you are basically giving the safeties - especially Seattle's safeties - a free pass to hang out around the line. Cassel has been in the league long enough to know that not every single game he plays is going to be a 3 INT fest.

And it also goes back to the other point - if Cassel is going to be Weeden 2.0, why is he here?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Our definition of bad is different. With Romo we are a very good team. If all we are missing is one guy to win then we are, by definition, not a bad team. Plenty of talent on this team. Just proves the adage you can't win without a QB in this league.

I get the frustration but geez.

You guys act like winning a game with your backup QB is like quantum physics...............look around the league, teams actually do win with back ups.

Except here in Dallas of course...............5 losses in a row and counting

Zman5

Reaction score
With Romo at the helm the game changes. He can change the play at the LOS, make better reads, and create plays. That makes Garrett look good. Put a lesser QB out there who can't read defenses and is unsure about audibles, etc and you make Garrett look conservative.

It can be a simply game of blocking and tackling. Or it can be very complicated cat and mouse game. It is generally and often not as simple as we can choose to see it. Garrett didn't go from an offense scoring over 400 points a season to one struggling to score 20 a game because he's conservative or a coward. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken crap.

No good QB is the problem.

JG's crappy offense is the main problem. Specifically the passing scheme. It's not very QB friendly. We can't expect backup QBs to play as well as Romo. Yet they still use the same plays as though Romo was the starting QB.

You need to help the QB by helping the receivers get open quicker. Go watch the Saints game today. They had bunch of no name recievers open on almost every play by design.

All the big plays we have had past few years was when the play breaks down and Romo runs around or Dez making some acrobatic catch.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
With Romo at the helm the game changes. He can change the play at the LOS, make better reads, and create plays. That makes Garrett look good. Put a lesser QB out there who can't read defenses and is unsure about audibles, etc and you make Garrett look conservative.

It can be a simply game of blocking and tackling. Or it can be very complicated cat and mouse game. It is generally and often not as simple as we can choose to see it. Garrett didn't go from an offense scoring over 400 points a season to one struggling to score 20 a game because he's conservative or a coward. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken crap.

No good QB is the problem.

come on you got to win 1 or 2 with the back up. why else have them on the team. Why cant JG eek out 1 win? And dont say its the team. You got Bealy, which this fne place told me hes great. You still got Witten, T WIll, you can get something, at least a TD with these guys. Whats going on?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
A loss is a loss. I prefer the best shot at winning. What that is depends on the players you have available. Matt Cassel, throwing at Sherman and Chancellor and Bennet is not balls, and it's not brains.

Scoreboard differs bro....................kicking 4 FGs is what they call loser ball.............but you are right, a loss is a loss and Garrett is presiding over his 5th consecutive.

Deep_South

Reaction score
Well, whatever the reason, we've now lost four games playing Weeden-ball (one with Cassel at the helm), and one playing real football, which we lost, too, but at least it felt like we had a chance to win that didn't involve hoping for an own-goal by the opposition. I would rather go down swinging against the Eagles.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Well, whatever the reason, we've now lost four games playing Weeden-ball (one with Cassel at the helm), and one playing real football, which we lost, too, but at least it felt like we had a chance to win that didn't involve hoping for an own-goal by the opposition. I would rather go down swinging against the Eagles.

get ready to be disappointed.......it will be the same, mundane gameplan.

Deep_South

Reaction score
get ready to be disappointed.......it will be the same, mundane gameplan.

You're probably right because the Eagles only put up 10 points in our first game, but I hope we try to find some way to get the ball down field enough to keep them from leaning forward. As painful as losing to the Seahawks was today, losing to the Eagles is worse.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Does anyone remember that Belichick went 11-5 in Cleveland and took them to the playoffs with Vinny Testeverdeas his QB? I thought he did a great job there.

I remember... plus NFL Network did a nice piece on the last days of the original Browns which gave some insight on just how good the staff was on that team... I don't think many on the message board did well in history of the NFL.

DTown214

Reaction score
In order for the season to not be over... we have to win these next two games vs Philly and Tampa Bay. You never know what Philly team you're gonna get. If we get the team that showed up against us in week 2, then it's winnable. Then of course Tampa Bay is very winnable. Give me 4-5 with Romo coming back all day. Beating Philly next week keeps them from creating any separation from us. And unless the Giants win they're next two (one of them is vs the Patriots), the division will still be in reach. I know a lot of us have been saying every game since the Saints game is a must-win... but these next two actually are... or it's over.

cml750

Reaction score
JG's crappy offense is the main problem. Specifically the passing scheme. It's not very QB friendly. We can't expect backup QBs to play as well as Romo. Yet they still use the same plays as though Romo was the starting QB.

You need to help the QB by helping the receivers get open quicker. Go watch the Saints game today. They had bunch of no name recievers open on almost every play by design.

All the big plays we have had past few years was when the play breaks down and Romo runs around or Dez making some acrobatic catch.

Yes, that is a fact. Sean Payton is a much better offensive coach than Garrett or Linehan could ever dream of being. If he would have stayed here and became HC, this team would have already won a few Superbowls. Payton knows how design and call plays. It is no coincidence that we win so many games when we fall behind and Romo takes over. Clappy the Clown makes me sick.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
You guys act like winning a game with your backup QB is like quantum physics...............look around the league, teams actually do win with back ups.

Except here in Dallas of course...............5 losses in a row and counting

Who is you guys?

Some whine and cry all game long even with Romo at the helm and no matter who the coach is. Every play a player messes up many call for his head.

I've already gone on record the team made a mistake depending on Weeden. There's not much else to say as the backups are the reason we can't score. The entire team and the coaches don't suddenly suck because we don't have a good QB. Winning with a QB who doesn't start is very difficult even though it happens; just infrequently. Many teams can't win with their starting QBs.

Seattle was counted a tough team and win before the season started. They're having the same problems and if people think they suck because of their record then they didn't watch how tough and talented they were. Wilson didn't play much better than Cassel and most don't think he sucks. His play was a reflection of how tough our defense is and the fact he isn't an elite QB either.

Do people really think the players and coaches say the things many here do on the sidelines or in the locker room? And no they don't even think most of the things 'you guys' do. If they do they are not long for the team.

Don't expect the rational to like listening to a bunch of fracking whining crybabies every play every game and often all year long. Not calling you a crybaby but speaking in general since your post gives me an in to speak on this topic. And they may consider not bunching everyone YOU and they think don't see the situation for what it is.

If we don't start scoring we will reach a point that is unrecoverable even considering the play of the rest of the division.

We're all frustrated.

This is my one post in response to all.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
come on you got to win 1 or 2 with the back up. why else have them on the team. Why cant JG eek out 1 win? And dont say its the team. You got Bealy, which this fne place told me hes great. You still got Witten, T WIll, you can get something, at least a TD with these guys. Whats going on?

The teams we are playing are tough teams to beat for anyone. Many penciled a lot in as losses. The same team won 12 games last year with the same coaches and offense. Most teams run the same vertical offense.

I responded to you because your post was thoughtful and very reasonable. It's a good question. The answer is simply the QB is not good enough against for the most part very good teams. The team should have beaten NY despite not good QB play. Poor QB play creates problems for the defense which happens to be very good.