Game Day ***Cowboys vs Seahawks post game thread***

Creeper

Reaction score
I have to watch the game over again but my initial thoughts:

The backup offensive line is pretty bad. Asim Richards is not a left tackle yet. I would still move him inside and teach him to play LG. They need G more than LT anyway. The Cowboys may need to go out and get a backup OT from somewhere.

Farniok is a better C than G. Waletzko and Ball are just not NFL ready yet. Yes, Seattle kept some of their starters in for the entire 1st half, but our backups could not keep up with their starters which means our backups are not ready to start.

I am not impressed with Rush or Grier. But Let's hope the Cowboys never have to use Grier. He can show some flashes but in the end he always seems to break down and make a big mistake. That 4th down sack at the end of the game was atrocious. If you do not throw the ball you have no chance to get the first down. He had several plays like that, and of course the big INT. The Cowboys should have drafted a young QB and let him sit on the roster for 3 years to develop him into a quality backup. Had they kept DiNucci he might be their backup behind Dak by now.

Another game and again I question what the Cowboys see in Eric Scott. It is only two games but I don't get it. He has no recovery speed. He is practice squad material at best but if he does not possess quickness then he will never ben an NFL CB.

Kelvin Joseph had a pretty good game. He gave up one big 3rd down conversion on a pass over the middle but it looked like it might have been a scheme issue. Overall, I trust him more than any of the other backup CBs. Joseph has great recovery speed. If he makes a mistake, he can get back into the play. So far he has avoided the dumb penalties which is an improvement. So many big plays given up by the secondary last night against backup WRs. The starting group for Dallas will be fine, but out of all those backups I don't see many potential diamonds.

It was hard to evaluate Deuce from last night. The defense was in the backfield most of the night while he was in. He couldn't get started. But it looked to me like the Seattle LBs were shooting gaps to stop the run. They were very aggressive. It's preseason, but in the regular season let's hope McCarthy uses that against teams that play like that. The TEs could have had a huge night taking advantage of the LBs rushing the backfield.

Rico Dowdle has something. I am fine with him and Malik Davis being the backups. If they need a big back, I am okay with Luepke but I have to see more of him to be sure. One thing I see is he is not just a straight ahead runner.

I hope the refs in the regular season are better than what we saw last night. So many missed penalties and blown calls. That spot that was eventually reviewed on replay was absolutely ridiculous. The non-DPI call when Fehoko had a DB mauling him before the ball got there was also a really bad call. The announcers calling it a great play were as stupid as I have seen by any crew. In fact, that entire crew was hard to listen too. Every play Seattle made was treated like the winning play in a Super Bowl. It was just too much. Amateurs.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
These trends carry on into the regular season.

Yet again, we had circus plays against us with a punt getting blocked and then Grier throwing an interception when we're about to score. Then at the end of the game, Grier can't convert. Looks eerily similar to the 49ers game.

There were way too many big plays against us, similar to last week where Jacksonville's backup qb was putting up a highlight reel.

There are things you can take away from preseason, and while we started a lot better, the goofball antics and failing to close is still there.
not really. these are games where you "do things" to see what your limits are and what you need to work on. "winning" is something fans love cause - hey WE WON.

but in all the years i've been watching football, there has never been a playoffs for the preseason "winners" and a pre-season record seldom had anything to do with the regular season.

pre-season 1992, the cowboys were 2-3.

the horrors of that season still remain.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
I have no issue with Mazi nor how he has played so far in the preseason and expect him to be fine. NTs aren't going to jump out at you or accumulate stats. But if his knee was truly bothering him, he wouldn't be playing that many snaps in the preseason two weeks in a row. I suspect his knee is fine or he wouldn't be out there.
I don’t think that’s how tendinitis works. It’s in his knee and he is a big boy. That injury can linger and only rest completely heals it.

I predict he doesn’t play much if at all in the last preseason game to give it as much time before week 1 as possible

Aven8

Reaction score
Tolbert, Land, and Deuce and the rest was pretty much slop. Rush and Dowdle were fine.

Mazi will look a lot better with the starters beside him.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Second team offense against mostly their ones, again. And we held in there. Dowdle and Davis ran hard and did very well. We moved the ball on them very well. Did I mention they were going against their ONES?
Second team defense against mostly their ones, again. And we held in there. Scott looks scared. Bland had a busted play. Corner depth is iffy. Hope Lewis is back sooner than later. LB could be a spot we look at picking someone up after cuts. I do like Harper though.
Anyone that didnt play the first half is very likely cut.
I really wasnt going to post here anymore. And actually tried. But after reading this thread, I simply couldnt resist. And my last post on this board will come after cutdowns. However it shakes out.

deerhunter11

Reaction score
I saw some pass interference on the seahawks that a blind man could see , but were not called.

CoachD

Reaction score
Worst announcers in NFL history WOW were they bad last night.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I’m hoping so. I think he’ll have the RB2 spot locked down heading in to week 1
I might miss my guess, but I think Rico Dowdle is coming on strong. Is it possible we'll keep 3 RBs in the stable? I can't picture leaving either Deuce or Dowdle out of the picture, they both look too good for the practice squad.

Havic

Reaction score
I might miss my guess, but I think Rico Dowdle is coming on strong. Is it possible we'll keep 3 RBs in the stable? I can't picture leaving either Deuce or Dowdle out of the picture, they both look too good for the practice squad.
imo its
1. Pollard
2. Rico
3. Deuce

Rayman70

Reaction score
Gotta keep an eye out for OL depth (paging Jason Peters) and a vet LBer that can provide some quality depth with the loss of Overshown.

Really hoping the MRI turns up positive news, but we gotta adjust and prepare for life without him this season.

Surprised at how undisciplined the D looked. Part of it may be nerves as guys are looking to make the roster and are feeling the lights, but still— we should be better than we showed.
Exactly. We were easily fooled defensively. It was a bad game for the defense. I'm putting that on DQ. He has to have our guys be smarter. Flying around is good when they are situation ally aware. But it's bad when they look like they are lost. Clarke has a bad game. He was fooled time and time again,as was Cox. I'm worried about the dbs and linebackers.