Cowboys will be fine at TE in 2023

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I was against the Schoonmaker pick (as everyone would have been prior to the draft) until I saw this.

Sweet.

I don't know, until he pulls off a whack-a-mole celebration, I still have to side with Schultz.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How could you possibly state that at this point. Schultz was 3rd in the NFL in receptions for a TE his last full season and Schoonmaker hasn't yet put on an NFL uniform.
It's easy to say this. Schoon is his equal in receiving and a far better blocker.

I'm not saying he will be 3rd in the NFL in receptions at all because he won't be. He won't get the targets.

Jarntt

Reaction score
It's easy to say this. Schoon is his equal in receiving and a far better blocker.

I'm not saying he will be 3rd in the NFL in receptions at all because he won't be. He won't get the targets.
I don’t doubt he will be a bettter blocker and will say that he better be a better blocker, or at least more willing, but expecting him to be Schultz’s equal as a receiver is IMO incredibly overly optimistic at this point. Would you think that if Washington drafted him?

I do hope you are right of course.

Motorola

Reaction score
I prefer to not count my chickens before they hatch. Some of the praise being thrown Schoonmaker's way is similar to praise Gavin Escobar received after he was drafted. Was supposed to be Jason Witten's replacement.

I do feel better about having at least seen that Ferguson and Hendershot can play on this level, but we don't know to what extent. I think we'll be OK, but I see no reason to put on the blue-tinted glasses and sing any praises yet.
My recollection of Dallas' selection of the late Mr. Escobar (R.I.P) was met with much derision; however - it was over at Dallascowboys.com - when the site still allowed fans to post comments.
I wasn't over here at CZ yet.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
My recollection of Dallas' selection of the late Mr. Escobar (R.I.P) was met with much derision; however - it was over at Dallascowboys.com - when the site still allowed fans to post comments.
I wasn't over here at CZ yet.
Schoonmaker's also has been met with much derision. Then, we have others who are praising the move. My point is that he doesn't deserve either yet. We don't know if he's Escobar, Travis Kelce or somewhere in between. I see no reason to hype him or deride him.

817Gill

Reaction score
Oh I don't think we feared our TE room. AS a matter of fact I think most of us were ok with going into the season with Ferguson and Hendershot handling those duties. They decided to add Schoonmaker who was a 2nd round pick to the mix.

And even though he was a 2nd round pick I have a strong feeling Ferguson will be our starter and look damn good there and make us ask questions why we invested a 2nd rounder into the position....
For what it’s worth, Broaddus who was at OTA’s reported that Schoon was the only rookie working with the vets and had plenty of TE1 reps. Could be they want to get him up to speed fast or could be he’s ahead of where we think he is.

Additionally, he mentioned Ferguson has lost some weight and is looking to be more explosive. I honestly thought he was a YAC monster last year but if he’s ever better without sacrificing blocking or anything then I love our trio.

Like you said, him and Hendershot would’ve been totally fine for me to start the season. I like how they compliment eachother. Schoon ideally would be a bit of both.

McMicah

Reaction score
Was Schultz an ideal TE2 to you? Because Schoon is a better TE than Schultz.
No I never believed Schultz was good. He had the athleticism of a blocking TE without the ability to block LOL. I agree with you that Schoon will likely have more success than Schultz, will be a better blocker, and frankly, might be a better receiver.

But we also can’t pretend Schoon is a blue chip TE. He’s already older than Ferg, so he’s likely closer to his ceiling, and he’s not dynamic at all as a receiving threat. I think he can be a hard-nosed blocker that’s crafty against zone defenses, but isn’t gonna break many tackles. That’s an ideal (and I truly stress IDEAL) TE2 for me. That’s not an insult to the man at all.

If he turns out to be that, it will be one of our better 2nd round picks

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But we also can’t pretend Schoon is a blue chip TE. He’s already older than Ferg, so he’s likely closer to his ceiling, and he’s not dynamic at all as a receiving threat.
Coming from the run based offense that they have in Michigan I'm going to respectfully disagree with that.

The difference he will get from Dallas Cowboys coaching will be light years ahead of Michigan.

plasticman

Reaction score
The TE position for the Dallas Cowboys is what the concept of competition is all about.

We have three young guys that are just going to hget better through coaching. Not only that, but they are going to force each other to get better if they want increased opportunities to get on the field.

Let's remember that Shultz started his career as the third TE behind Geoff Swaim and Blake Jarwin. Witten came back the following year and Schultz ended up with a single reception. Schultz didn't become productive until his 3rd season and that opportunity was only available due to the injury to Blake Jarwin. Prior to that, Dalton was bubble player.

I think each of the current TE's have more potential than Schultz when he entered his 2nd season.

Mannix

Reaction score
The “stud” went to Buffalo because once again Booger and Chuckles just had to open their mouths.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What's a "Schoonmaker"?
:huh::muttley:
Someone who makes schoons, of course. I love my schoon. Got it as a Christmas present a few years ago. I use it in the kitchen all the time, and sometimes while watching a ball game or shopping for power tools.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I don't like the pick very much in Round 2 unless they are going to be using two-TE sets a fair amount of the time.

How often did Big Mike do that in Green Bay?
I think cowboys over drafted Schoonmaker a little, perhaps their worry was that they wanted him in 3rd, but with the run on TEs, they were afraid he wasn't going to be there, so they reached a little. I would have preferred Torrence and maybe a trade up in 3rd to ensure they get him. or even a slight trade down and still get him.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

we simply won't know his receiving skills until he gets on the field. does it translate to NFL. I expect to see a lot of two TE sets. Ferguson is similar to Schultz, but slightly better blocker and Schoon is a good blocker and going to learn receiving. he will probably often be the 4th or 5th option in a pass play anyway, so he should get favorable match ups and he can probably exploit the spaces in zone defense