Cowboys will be fine at TE in 2023

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Oh I don't think we feared our TE room. AS a matter of fact I think most of us were ok with going into the season with Ferguson and Hendershot handling those duties. They decided to add Schoonmaker who was a 2nd round pick to the mix.

And even though he was a 2nd round pick I have a strong feeling Ferguson will be our starter and look damn good there and make us ask questions why we invested a 2nd rounder into the position....

Jarntt

Reaction score
I hope we will be ok and I think there is a good chance we will be, but I wonder how everyone on here would feel if another team that had returning TEs who caught 19, 11 and 2 passes last year and drafted a 2nd rounder that few expected would go in the 2nd round were this confident. Remember how many were so confident Tolbert was going to step up last year? My point is get excited, be hopeful and optimistic, but tap the brakes a little on young players.

schultz in his last full year had almost 80 catches and in our playoff win last year was 7 for 95 with 2 TDs. There’s likely to be a drop off. And that’s ok and I think we did the right thing letting him go, but it’s better than 50/50 a drop off in receiving for our TEs happens. Blocking hopefully we are better

:starspin:

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Oh I don't think we feared our TE room. AS a matter of fact I think most of us were ok with going into the season with Ferguson and Hendershot handling those duties. They decided to add Schoonmaker who was a 2nd round pick to the mix.

And even though he was a 2nd round pick I have a strong feeling Ferguson will be our starter and look damn good there and make us ask questions why we invested a 2nd rounder into the position....

I agree. I was okay letting Schultz walk the previous year instead of the tag and signing a vet while we brought Ferguson along. Hendershot would have been gravy. I thought there were better needs for our second rounder but since we got him, I hope he blows the doors off any TE we've had since Witten. If not, there should be questions.

baltcowboy

Reaction score

Supposedly Schoonmaker is bigger, faster and stronger than Ferguson. Even the 105.7 guys says Schoonmaker!s size compared to the other tight ends is noticeable. I think he will be tight end one come opening day.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Supposedly Schoonmaker is bigger, faster and stronger than Ferguson. Even the 105.7 guys says Schoonmaker!s size compared to the other tight ends is noticeable. I think he will be tight end one come opening day.
Hmmm I don't know about that one. I mean it would make sense given Schoonmakers age that they think he's ready now. I just don't think he will be ready week 1 to be TE1 over Ferguson but just my opinion. I would be nice if he is.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I agree. I was okay letting Schultz walk the previous year instead of the tag and signing a vet while we brought Ferguson along. Hendershot would have been gravy. I thought there were better needs for our second rounder but since we got him, I hope he blows the doors off any TE we've had since Witten. If not, there should be questions.
Yeah I'm rooting for him for sure. I'm not gonna sit here and lie though I'm scratching my head on a 25 year old tight end in the 2nd round.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Hmmm I don't know about that one. I mean it would make sense given Schoonmakers age that they think he's ready now. I just don't think he will be ready week 1 to be TE1 over Ferguson but just my opinion. I would be nice if he is.
Anything can happen. Supposedly McGovern was going to start at guard over Tyler if Tyron did not get hurt. I just think this coaching staff hand picked Schoonmaker to be Shultz replacement. We will see. I think when they run two tight ends Ferguson will play. I expect lots of two tight end formations.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I think we are overlooking the value of blocking for this position, especially with this coaching staff/this offense. In other words, to burn a 2nd round pick on a TE from Michigan says a lot.