Cowboys will be in the Super Bowl next season

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
As for the Cowboys making it to the Super Bowl next season they’re not even close. That was evident this past season. Every team in our division stunk and we ended up 8-8. This was the most inconsistent Cowboys team I can remember. The Cowboys have had little playoff success the past 25 years and for every step forward they’ve taken, they taken a step backwards. This has been going on for over a decade. Plus I can’t think of one head coach that’s ever taken over a new team and led them to the Super Bowl in their first season as head coach.

With over 20 free agents the team is going to look pretty different next season. The first year under McCarthy is going to be pretty much just trying to figure out what he’s got. He’s going to have to implement his system and his coaching style so it’s going to take some time. Last time he coached he suffered through back to back losing seasons so I wouldn’t be getting my expectations too high. All I’m hoping for next season is that we take a step forward and that we continue to take steps forward. I’m looking for steady progress each season.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The deal with McCarthy is he won a lot of games in Green Bay due to his QB. Once Aaron Rodgers started battling injuries and missing games that was pretty much the end of McCarthy in Green Bay. Rodgers carried most of McCarthy’s teams. The Packers certainly never had great defenses. In 2011 during Aaron Rodgers MVP season that saw the Packers go 15-1, Green Bay’s defense ranked 32nd and was the third worst historically. The number one biggest issue with the Cowboys the past two decades has been defense. We can’t consistently get to the QB and we don’t get takeaways. We have no playmakers! Our defense always has issues. We can never seem to figure out that side of the ball.

shabazz

Reaction score
This is suddenly becoming my favorite thread. So much material to work with, but alas so many forum rules to be potentially broken as well.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I just watched the 9ers go from a season of 4-12 in 2018 to 13-3 and a trip to the SB in 2019. No one knows now days how next year is going to go.

Londonboy

Reaction score
Hmmm. Is garlic a vegetable? Never given it any thought
It's related to the onion apparently.
A distant cousin perhaps, or maybe that maiden Aunt that You only see at weddings and funerals and smells of lavender and gin, but sends You a birthday card with a £5 book token every Year without fail.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
As for the Cowboys making it to the Super Bowl next season they’re not even close. That was evident this past season. Every team in our division stunk and we ended up 8-8. This was the most inconsistent Cowboys team I can remember. The Cowboys have had little playoff success the past 25 years and for every step forward they’ve taken, they taken a step backwards. This has been going on for over a decade. Plus I can’t think of one head coach that’s ever taken over a new team and led them to the Super Bowl in their first season as head coach.

With over 20 free agents the team is going to look pretty different next season. The first year under McCarthy is going to be pretty much just trying to figure out what he’s got. He’s going to have to implement his system and his coaching style so it’s going to take some time. Last time he coached he suffered through back to back losing seasons so I wouldn’t be getting my expectations too high. All I’m hoping for next season is that we take a step forward and that we continue to take steps forward. I’m looking for steady progress each season.
In the NFL, past performance is not necessarily an indication of future success. There’s constant player turnover and constant coaching changes. This year, the Cowboys are going to have a lot of both. Both George Seifert and Don McCafferty won Super Bowls in their first year. Jim Caldwell made it to the Super Bowl in his first year as well although they didn’t win. San Fran was 4-12 last year. Where are they now? There are numerous examples of 1st year coaches who’ve led their teams to the conference championships. So, yes the Cowboys can make it to the Super Bowl in MM’s first year and they certainly have the talent to allow him to do that.

shabazz

Reaction score
I'm starting to come around with this. With our Division as weak as it is, we can go 12-4. Gbay and Nola both have aging Qb's and with our young talented QB we should end up in the NFC Championship game against the Niners. There are numerous examples of 1st year coaches who’ve led their teams to the conference championships. So, yes the Cowboys can make it to the Super Bowl in MM’s first year and they certainly have the talent to allow him to do that.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's possible. But more likely we have some success. Make a couple changes on the staff 2021 SB probable.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
In the NFL, past performance is not necessarily an indication of future success. There’s constant player turnover and constant coaching changes. This year, the Cowboys are going to have a lot of both. Both George Seifert and Don McCafferty won Super Bowls in their first year. Jim Caldwell made it to the Super Bowl in his first year as well although they didn’t win. San Fran was 4-12 last year. Where are they now? There are numerous examples of 1st year coaches who’ve led their teams to the conference championships. So, yes the Cowboys can make it to the Super Bowl in MM’s first year and they certainly have the talent to allow him to do that.

For the past 25 years with the Cowboys past performance has been an indication of what to expect. George Seifert was on staff with the 49ers and took over a team that was coming off a championship. San Francisco was 4-12 last season but they lost Jimmy G after just three games. Kyle Shanahan is proving to be a solid head coach and he and their new GM have worked together to build a solid team. The addition of Bosa who’s been a game wrecker has really helped their defense. As for Jim Caldwell he took over a terrific team with one of the all time great QBs. Looking around the league at other teams turn arounds doesn’t mean anything when it comes to the Cowboys. This franchise has been stuck in the mud for over two decades. The last five Cowboys head coaches have combined for only three playoff wins.

As long as Jerry Jones continues to operate the way he does things aren’t likely to change. We’ve seen a lot of inconsistency with this team over the years. Up one season and down the next, it’s been going on for over a decade. Not saying it will continue under McCarthy but we’ll just have to see how it goes. Hard to be optimistic when you see the pattern we’ve been stuck in for so long. We’re wasting the prime of great players careers. Zeke and Dak are already going into their fifth year. Our OL is starting to age. There’s little on defense to be encouraged about. We have no playmakers. We simply haven’t been able to get it going consistently on that side of the ball. We’ll just have to see how it goes under McCarthy and if we finally start to see some steady progress from year to year or this up-and-down trend continues.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Both George Seifert and Don McCafferty won Super Bowls in their first year. Jim Caldwell made it to the Super Bowl in his first year as well although they didn’t win.

All three of those coaches were already on staff when they led those teams to Super Bowls their first year. Plus two of them took over really good teams. Already being on staff and having good teams there weren’t a lot of major changes to be made. They probably all kept the same system in place and pretty much the same staff. The key was not to mess with the success those teams were having. McCarthy is coming from the Packers organization and is taking over an 8-8 team. The Cowboys pretty much cleaned out their coaching staff. The team has over 20 free agents. There’s going to be a lot of change with this team in the coming months. We’re just going to have to see how it goes.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
All three of those coaches were already on staff when they led those teams to Super Bowls their first year. Plus two of them took over really good teams. Already being on staff and having good teams there weren’t a lot of major changes to be made. They probably all kept the same system in place and pretty much the same staff. The key was not to mess with the success those teams were having. McCarthy is coming from the Packers organization and is taking over an 8-8 team. The Cowboys pretty much cleaned out their coaching staff. The team has over 20 free agents. There’s going to be a lot of change with this team in the coming months. We’re just going to have to see how it goes.
You stated one of your reasons they won’t be in the Super bowl next year is because you couldn’t remember any other coach who had done so. I showed you others who had done so and now your trying to say yes but blah blah blah. You’re not being fair to the argument.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You stated one of your reasons they won’t be in the Super bowl next year is because you couldn’t remember any other coach who had done so. I showed you others who had done so and now your trying to say yes but blah blah blah. You’re not being fair to the argument.

I gave many reasons why I don’t think they’ll make it to the Super Bowl next season. I couldn’t think of any coaches off the top of my head that took a new team to a Super Bowl because the three who did were already on staff. You showed me three coaches who were already on staff that led teams to Super Bowls their first year as HC but there’s never been one who coached a different team the previous year that did it. There’s a big adjustment bringing in a head coach from another organization. I’m being fair in the argument because it’s not that unforeseeable for a coach who’s already on staff with a championship caliber team to take over and lead them to a Super Bowl in their first season. When you’re not changing coaching staffs and don’t have a big turnover in personnel it’s possible. It’s been done. You can’t compare the situation with McCarthy with those other coaches. He’s going to have to learn this team and see what he has. He’s going to have to implement his system and his style. The Cowboys are going to be run differently under McCarthy than they were under Garrett. We’ll just have to see how the team responds to a new head coach/staff and a new approach.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I gave many reasons why I don’t think they’ll make it to the Super Bowl next season. I couldn’t think of any coaches off the top of my head that took a new team to a Super Bowl because the three who did were already on staff. You showed me three coaches who were already on staff that led teams to Super Bowls their first year as HC but there’s never been one who coached a different team the previous year that did it. There’s a big adjustment bringing in a head coach from another organization. I’m being fair in the argument because it’s not that unforeseeable for a coach who’s already on staff with a championship caliber team to take over and lead them to a Super Bowl in their first season. When you’re not changing coaching staffs and don’t have a big turnover in personnel it’s possible. It’s been done. You can’t compare the situation with McCarthy with those other coaches. He’s going to have to learn this team and see what he has. He’s going to have to implement his system and his style. The Cowboys are going to be run differently under McCarthy than they were under Garrett. We’ll just have to see how the team responds to a new head coach/staff and a new approach.
You didn’t say you couldn’t remember any coach not already on staff that has made it to the Super Bowl. Now your changing the goal posts which you always do when proved wrong. Can’t deal with your type as you’ll always move the goal posts.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You didn’t say you couldn’t remember any coach not already on staff that has made it to the Super Bowl. Now your changing the goal posts which you always do when proved wrong. Can’t deal with your type as you’ll always move the goal posts.

If you’re just looking to argue go waste someone else’s time. I wasn’t about to research the history of the NFL to see if a head coach had ever led a team to a Super Bowl in their first year. You looked it up and found three who did and all three of those coaches were already on staff. Big difference with a coach who’s already on staff taking over a team and bringing in a new head coach from a different organization. Our coaching staff was pretty much cleaned out. A lot of changes have been made and will continue to be made.