Twitter: Cowboys working on long-term deal for T. Crawford *merged*

Bowdown27

Reaction score
Supposedly its in the range of 4-5 years for 18-20 million. Saw few posts on Twitter about it.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Is he a free agent after this year? Wondering why they don't wait and see how he plays this year before loading all that cash to him.

They already love him and expect a breakout season this year. And salaries are taking a huge jump because of the new tv contract kicking in soon. Bills just stretched the max on DTs by a huge amount with Dareus. He's just going to be so much more expensive if he plays up to what they expect.

dallasdave

Reaction score
It's rather simple. If he continues where he left off last season, he's going to get very very expensive and will want to test the market for the most money possible. The Cowboys are rewarding him without having to overpay for his continued service.

Smart thinking, get it done before the bidding starts !!

DallasJ7

Reaction score
Crawford would probably be smart to bet on himself and wait, but if they Cowboys can get him for a bargain, sounds great.

Daillest88

Reaction score
They already love him and expect a breakout season this year. And salaries are taking a huge jump because of the new tv contract kicking in soon. Bills just stretched the max on DTs by a huge amount with Dareus. He's just going to be so much more expensive if he plays up to what they expect.

Holy crap gonna be a huge steal

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Supposedly its in the range of 4-5 years for 18-20 million. Saw few posts on Twitter about it.

I this range is accurate (and it's probably pretty close), then this is a very good thing for the Cowboys if they can just get it done. More often than not the media is onto something when reporting contract discussions. I sense this deal gets done pretty quickly...at least I hope so.

LandryFan

Reaction score
Crawford would probably be smart to bet on himself and wait, but if they Cowboys can get him for a bargain, sounds great.

I agree with you that he could probably get more if he waits, but there's also the risk of injury and ending with less (or worse yet, nothing). I hope he gets a fair deal. I don't want him to get low balled, nor do I want him to break the bank.

bark

Reaction score
Signing is a calculated risk on both sides. For him, signing now gives him security in case of injury, not to mention what will likely be a nice payday, and for the Cowboys, it locks up what they obviously think is a very important piece of the puzzle in the future. I think it's highly doubtful his play regresses unless he gets injured. Locking him up now is the smart move if they can agree on the $$.

I agree with all of this. I'm just saying if I'm Crawford, I bet on myself (and don't play with fireworks in the offseason)

LandryFan

Reaction score
I agree with all of this. I'm just saying if I'm Crawford, I bet on myself (and don't play with fireworks in the offseason)

I hear ya. I addressed this in another post here, but if he signs now, he's protected in case he gets injured this year. Plus, I think (hope) he'll get a decent payday. Both sides gain by him signing now, IMO.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Great news! Then they can work on a long extension for Nick Hayden. Because everybody loves Nick Hayden.

jlust22

Reaction score
If the Cowboys could get Crawford for $5 million a year, that would be a steal. Cam Heyward got just under $10 million a year and I think they are pretty comparable players. Even Jared Odrick got 5/42.5 from Jacksonville this offseason and I think Crawford is clearly better than him. I guess it all depends on structure and the amount of guaranteed money, but it would be kind of surprising if Crawford signed for 4/20. Good news if he does though.

warker97

Reaction score
Love it!! He brings youth and a relentless motor to the front. Kudos to the front office just crushing it this offseason

FaSho

Reaction score
Very smart move. If he has a monster season, he'd pretty much price himself off this team, imo. Look at the type of money guys like Suh, McCoy, and Dareus are getting. NO THANKS.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
Very smart move. If he has a monster season, he'd pretty much price himself off this team, imo. Look at the type of money guys like Suh, McCoy, and Dareus are getting. NO THANKS.

What would you do? Go out and have a monster year, get $$$$$. Or play it safe and get a measley $$ ?