Twitter: Cowboys working on long-term deal for T. Crawford *merged*

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Quote="endersdragon, post: 6256488, member: 35855"]Correct me if I am wrong but other than Hardy doesn't this make Mo the only "big name" player we are do to lose next year... That would open up some nice possibilities

Ro McClain as well...if the starting MLB is comsidered a "big name" player.[/quote]

No one signed him last year and now he has a 10 games suspension waiting for him.

robjay04

Reaction score
Ro McClain as well...if the starting MLB is comsidered a "big name" player.

No one signed him last year and now he has a 10 games suspension waiting for him.[/quote]

Yeah unless Ro has an amazing season, he would probably be a shoe in for another 1 year deal or we may just move on and replace him in the draft. He is not a huge loss if we have an entire offseason to plan for it.

On the other hand, signing Crawford at a discount is the only way we keep Hardy past this season and the team probably knows that. If Crawford blows up, no way we can afford to pay 20 million+ a season for next 4-5 seasons to the DL in one offseason.

slick325

Reaction score
Ro McClain as well...if the starting MLB is comsidered a "big name" player.

No one signed him last year and now he has a 10 games suspension waiting for him.[/quote]

He has to have a good season and show some reliability to get a long term deal from someone. Hopefully he plays well after his 4 game layoff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
No one signed him last year and now he has a 10 games suspension waiting for him.

Yeah unless Ro has an amazing season, he would probably be a shoe in for another 1 year deal or we may just move on and replace him in the draft. He is not a huge loss if we have an entire offseason to plan for it.

On the other hand, signing Crawford at a discount is the only way we keep Hardy past this season and the team probably knows that. If Crawford blows up, no way we can afford to pay 20 million+ a season for next 4-5 seasons to the DL in one offseason.[/quote]

A deal for TCrawford will be 5/50m

Knotamus

Reaction score
I'm lovin' it. Cowboys making all the right moves!

Yes sir.. Letting Murray walk with his big $$ contract was also the right move that allows the Cowboys to sign younger talent.

But of course all those that cried for Murray to stay either don't understand this concept or just totally disregard the salary cap. Which is exactly how Dallas was in "Cap Hell" for so many years prior.

Thankfully they don't make the decisions. Praise JJ and "the Gang" for finally turning things around. #GoCowboys!

Macnalty

Reaction score
That 5/20 number is the dumbest thing ever. Is anyone really gonna feel okay about it if Crawford has blows up like we expect with all this new found outside help and next year he's making 5 per when others are making 12-20?

I think the numbers for him are gonna start at 8-9 per and that's the team protecting against what they think can be a 12-13 per player by the end of the season.

I think this is what happened to Jay Ratcliff we got a team friendly contract that first time around and it really irritated him the following seasons, the boys make more money than any other team and we do not need to get over on our good players it just creates issues that should never see the light of day. IMO

burmafrd

Reaction score
I think this is what happened to Jay Ratcliff we got a team friendly contract that first time around and it really irritated him the following seasons, the boys make more money than any other team and we do not need to get over on our good players it just creates issues that should never see the light of day. IMO

you ever hear of this thing called the CAP?

burmafrd

Reaction score
If I was Crawford I would bet on myself and wait until after the season. Sure its a risk but as has been mentioned he can get insurance that would take away part of that risk. Just comes down to how much confidence he has in himself.

conner01

Reaction score
4 years 20 million sounds good for a guy with 3 career sacks and 1 year of injury history.

I agree
You can always build in some incentives that pays him more if he does produce more but protects the team if he doesn't
The guys getting huge money aren't guys projected to be good, they already have put up numbers
4/20 with incentives for performance is a win/win for both sides
And it all comes down to how much of the money is actually real

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Is he a free agent after this year? Wondering why they don't wait and see how he plays this year before loading all that cash to him.

because im sure the prie is lower right now than it would be before the season is over.

conner01

Reaction score

Who is gonna get these big deals?
Tank and Gregory are a long ways from new deals and hardy is probably not gonna be here next year unless it's a team friendly deal

Aven8

Reaction score
If I was Crawford I would bet on myself and wait until after the season. Sure its a risk but as has been mentioned he can get insurance that would take away part of that risk. Just comes down to how much confidence he has in himself.

This ^^^

dbonham

Reaction score
Expect a Scandrick-like deal and then a Scandrick-like holdout in a few years

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score
I will be thrilled to have him locked up long term but he hasn't done anything to earn even half of that. That would be beyond ridiculous for his body of work thus far.

5 per year with incentives up to 10 per year for a very good 3-tech is a great deal. You can't just look at his sacks. The guy is disruptive as hell. He's going to have a great year. Just my opinion though.