CowboysFanTalk: If Dak walks, what's the plan?

Mikexike

Reaction score
Ive been saying we have a coaching problem. But the narrative is to blame one guy on a team because of some secondary, market supply/demand issue...its lazy.

Our coaching is not preparing us for playoff success...not because of lack of talent or because of some high paid player.

Our main problem is we flop in the playoffs...as a whole team. Not because of Dak, his pay and lack of players because of his play. We have talent.
It feels like they don't game plan at all, like what have they been doing all week besides planning parties??? No creativity or anything for both sides of the ball....Always flat.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Im talking about rosters with enough talent to make a legit run.

QB price tag aside, those rosters I mentioned are much better positioned to win a championship. We are not.

And this isn’t a “bc we pay Dak so much thing.” That’s a false narrative.
Not trying to be rude...but youre moving the goal posts a bit.

We were talking about the ability to put talent around a high paid QB...you brought it up...I argued we have talent.

Now youre moving it to "better position to make SB runs"...and that wasnt the original argument.

Dallas is putting talent on the field.

Knock our run game...I agree with it. Its a recognizable knock since running games are huge in playoffs. But...as I said earlier...I think Dallas was full go on pass attack. I think based on this draft they are retooling for run support.

I double down on my assertion that injuries to Diggs, Overshown and Van Der Esche hurt Quinns plans. Quinn may still prefer hybrid players...but we had the size at LB to fall back on if the hybrids didnt work out(like in playoffs)....but they got injured. Dallas wasnt just blind with hybrid LB's and DB's...they were forced to use them because of injuries.

Knock Dallas for unwillingness to get a run stuffing DT, knock Dallas for lack of run game, maybe knock them a little at WR....but they have talent on the field.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Not trying to be rude...but youre moving the goal posts a bit.

We were talking about the ability to put talent around a high paid QB...you brought it up...I argued we have talent.

Now youre moving it to "better position to make SB runs"...and that wasnt the original argument.

Dallas is putting talent on the field.

Knock our run game...I agree with it. Its a recognizable knock since running games are huge in playoffs. But...as I said earlier...I think Dallas was full go on pass attack. I think based on this draft they are retooling for run support.

I double down on my assertion that injuries to Diggs, Overshown and Van Der Esche hurt Quinns plans. Quinn may still prefer hybrid players...but we had the size at LB to fall back on if the hybrids didnt work out(like in playoffs)....but they got injured. Dallas wasnt just blind with hybrid LB's and DB's...they were forced to use them because of injuries.

Knock Dallas for unwillingness to get a run stuffing DT, knock Dallas for lack of run game, maybe knock them a little at WR....but they have talent on the field.
I said the options are put talent around a paid QB or build a roster around a rookie QB.

I said we’ve completely failed to do the former at which point you said we have enough talent…which I firmly disagree with.

Yes, we have talent but it’s not enough to get us over the hump we’ve been stuck at forever. And it’s not a QB contract problem - it’s a GM that refuses to go all in problem.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
It feels like they don't game plan at all, like what have they been doing all week besides planning parties??? No creativity or anything for both sides of the ball....Always flat.
You can knock the players for the parties...Im not sweeping it under the rug by any means...

But our issue is being prepared and having good playoff game plans. Those two issues fall on coaching, imo.

We wont ever know the answer since we arent privy....but it seems like coaches, scouts, consultants believe in Dak's ability. If there were ever differing groups within the Cowboys walls about Dak's ability against zone, two high zone, defenses showing and bailing and Dak having issues reading whats going on....then Dallas needs to evaluate those scouts concerns and move on if Dak is below average compared to the rest of the leagues QB's on a widely used defense.

But other than that...its playoff game plans and coaching.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Lance, sign a vet, draft his replacement? Whatever option you choose, I think all can agree getting into the playoffs could be a struggle for the next year or two...that's the trade-off.

That's next year's problem. Right now he is our QB this year. The NFL has changed and QBs now become available every year. Look how many teams will have a new QB this year. If we want one we can get one. Will he be as good or better than Dak? No, not likely but maybe we find a cheapish stop gap that allows us to spend a ton of money on other positions and at the same time find a young player to groom for the future.

75boyz

Reaction score
The "plan" is obvious and would be the same for any team in a like position. Options are draft and/or sign the best choice of the FA's available. Of course this comes with the understanding that the team likely takes a step backwards, but it that really such a bad thing? Ultimately you need to find your future in the draft and yes, there is no guarantee, but it is really the only viable plan. No matter who I had as a starter I'd be taking a flyer on lower round QB every year

Taking a step back while resetting the core is much more preferable than being stuck in the loop of easy out in the playoffs.

Kansas City and the 49's both had a Dak as QB1. Didn't stop them from churning the position through the draft and it payed immediate dividends. Seattle ditched their SB winning, 3rd round draft pick for a journeyman FA and improved on their previous season.

This "what's the plan" talk just seems like a smoke screen born of weakness. There is no rock solid plan that guarantees success. Only two options to replace the position, which you keep leaning on until you land the guy.
Great post.
Theres one or two here who cling to their Dak one and done comfort level as if they are Jones kin.
The risk of change to those that need this 100% guaranteed plan of improvement will inspire Jerry like comments from them.

This whole getting rid of Dak situation is such a classic example of no risk no reward.

Mountain will usually chime in and rightfully so, and use the KC model of transitioning from Alex Smith to Mahomes.
Perfect case of improving on "just making the playoffs."

We unfortunately are stuck in QB purgatory accompanied by GroundHog Day like results until genuine change takes place.

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
Would cost a king's ransom to trade up to #1. And that's assuming whatever team is there doesn't need a QB, which is unlikely. Just feels like too many things have to go right in order for that to happen. Think they're most likely to take someone in next year's class if Dak doesn't re-sign than to hope all the chips fall perfectly for them in 2026 tbh. Time will tell.
It’s is a kings ransom, likely ur top 10 pick and a couple more 1st. If the other team needs a QB, I’d let them pick any player off the team. Archie Manning is The Prince that was Promised, The lisan al gaib… not a single player, or draft pick on this team would keep me from that

cnuball21

Reaction score
Great post.
Theres one or two here who cling to their Dak one and done comfort level as if they are Jones kin.
The risk of change to those that need this 100% guaranteed plan of improvement will inspire Jerry like comments from them.

This whole getting rid of Dak situation is such a classic example of no risk no reward.

Mountain will usually chime in and rightfully so, and use the KC model of transitioning from Alex Smith to Mahomes.
Perfect case of improving on "just making the playoffs."

We unfortunately are stuck in QB purgatory accompanied by GroundHog Day like results until genuine change takes place.
I think the biggest frustration from fans that believe Dak is good enough to get is done is that the Jones have had an opportunity to go all in the last few years and have borderline done the opposite. The team is literally worse than last year in Daks contract year.

I’ve already openly said I’m open to moving on. Ideally that would’ve been done via trade to maximize the value of return and to give us ammo but the Jones fumbled that too.

Now well likely watch him play out his final year and lose him for nothing. Then not be in a good position to draft a top QB bc we’ll win too many games AND the QB class is awful next year.

And again - the hit rate for QBs that aren’t as good as Dak is prettttttty darn low in the 1st.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
I think the biggest frustration from fans that believe Dak is good enough to get is done is that the Jones have had an opportunity to go all in the last few years and have borderline done the opposite. The team is literally worse than last year in Daks contract year.

I’ve already openly said I’m open to moving on. Ideally that would’ve been done via trade to maximize the value of return and to give us ammo but the Jones fumbled that too.

Now well likely watch him play out his final year and lose him for nothing. Then not be in a good position to draft a top QB bc we’ll win too many games AND the QB class is awful next year.

And again - the hit rate for QBs that aren’t as good as Dak is prettttttty darn low in the 1st.
Exactly. The Eagles got a 1st and 3rd for a qb that hadnt been good for 2 years and the Cowboys would only going to get a compensatory 3rd for the MVP runner up lol.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Exactly. The Eagles got a 1st and 3rd for a qb that hadnt been good for 2 years and the Cowboys would only going to get a compensatory 3rd for the MVP runner up lol.
If the plan all along was to not extend him…then not trading him for picks is dumber than letting him walk in the first place.

Only the Jones’ man.

zekecowboy

Reaction score
Lance, sign a vet, draft his replacement? Whatever option you choose, I think all can agree getting into the playoffs could be a struggle for the next year or two...that's the trade-off.

2024 is a REBUILD year. Coaches are all on one year contract. Dallas is leaving all of their options for ALL IN 2025!

Steve007

Reaction score

What is the plan if they resign Dak? Getting past the first round will be a struggle.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

CowboysFanTalk: If Dak walks, what's the plan?​

VxL48gj.png

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
If Dak walks, the only logical plan is to tank.
What? We'd mount an "all in" season to win 9 games?

Tank it!
I'm ready for a blue chip QB (and I do not mean Lance).

fivetwos

Reaction score
Not mentioned in this thread (if it was I missed it, my fault) is that Prescott himself may very well have already decided that he doesn’t want to re-sign here.

He will get similar money elsewhere, and just may want to go to a team where ownership is willing and capable of building a winner as opposed to publicly blaming his salary for why they cannot.

Also, the term “tanking” implies that it was done purposely. Most of the time, the teams that got to the top of the draft did so with a series of bad decisions, not by specifically trying to be bad.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Not mentioned in this thread (if it was I missed it, my fault) is that Prescott himself may very well have already decided that he doesn’t want to re-sign here.

He will get similar money elsewhere, and just may want to go to a team where ownership is willing and capable of building a winner as opposed to publicly blaming his salary for why they cannot.

Also, the term “tanking” implies that it was done purposely. Most of the time, the teams that got to the top of the draft did so with a series of bad decisions, not by specifically trying to be bad.
If I was him I’d want to get the heck out of Dallas…they’ve proven over the course his of career they aren’t to do what it takes to be a legit contender.

Go somewhere else where the FO gives you a chance.