CowboysFanTalk: If Dak walks, what's the plan?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
If Dak walks, we'll always have Hohensee to fall back on! Of course, that's assuming Lance won't have something to say about it . . . :muttley:

StuckMojo

Reaction score
I don’t want Dak to get $60 million a year but Lance was a waste of a 4th rd pick we gave up for him. In 6 years combined in college /pros the dude has only 17 starts.

dueyhemlock

Hog Hunter
Reaction score
Yes, please tell me the plans since you all think Dak is trash and that we are magically going to find his replacement. Please tell us
How does it go?

"You got to play to win"

You are never getting that winning ticket if you don't even try.
Thats a FACT!

Dak's struggles without a stacked deck has been apparent for sometime.
Our brain fart front office should have been dipping their toes in the draft pool for competition.
Yet going into year 9 and here we are.

This is The Clapper 2.0 all over again.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
How does it go?

"You got to play to win"

You are never getting that winning ticket if you don't even try.
Thats a FACT!

Dak's struggles without a stacked deck has been apparent for sometime.
Our brain fart front office should have been dipping their toes in the draft pool for competition.
Yet going into year 9 and here we are.

This is The Clapper 2.0 all over again.
Lot of this is because the GM is a fan boy first.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Franchise tag Trey Lance and don't skip a beat with football operation. Dak isn't that important to the Cowboys future operation beyond 2024.
Are you willing to pay Lance $38M if he's never started a game for you? He would sign that in a heartbeat and I don't blame him but there has to be a better way Joe. I am pretty sure his top priority in free agency will be finding a team that gives him the best chance to start. How about promising him a chance to compete for Dak's starting AND match his best offer on the open market?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
- Do we make a bid on Lance per FA ?
- if not lance, or the available vets below:
-Russell Wilson
- Justin Fields
- Mac Jones,
- Jamemis Winston
- Jimmy Grap
I would love to give Justin Fields a chance.....I am not sure the Bears ever trusted him and they certainly didn't surround him with enough talent. As a matter of fact, as of today, I would rather Fields over Lance.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Next years draft class for quarterback is garbage. France has the Cowboys over a barrel. The Cowboys will probably extend Dak.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Plan? For a team that has been incapable of building a championship roster while its had good QBs and fumbled numerous contracts I have very little confidence they’d do what’s necessary to secure a top pick to draft a QB early.

If Dak walks, unless we get lucky again, I’d imagine years of pain as a fan.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Plan? For a team that has been incapable of building a championship roster while its had good QBs and fumbled numerous contracts I have very little confidence they’d do what’s necessary to secure a top pick to draft a QB early.

If Dak walks, unless we get lucky again, I’d imagine years of pain as a fan.
So we draft WR's, to go with the decent/good O-Line, give Lance a one year deal (totally reset the Cap) and look to 2026 draft for a QB. The 10th year anniversary of drafting a Franchise QB in the 4th.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Every other position when a player leaves you have people here thumping their chest going - next man up. I remember when Romo went down everyone and their grandmothers wrote off the 2016 season as a lost cause, it wasn't. Why? There was enough of a team around the QB to actually get us to a good record. Well guess what, there is still enough of a team around the QB position to get us there, if Dak walks, he walks and you plug in the next guy up and you roll. Same thing the 49-ers do. You can't build a team that is so fragile that one guy's absence essentially means that the season is lost.

cnuball21

Reaction score
So we draft WR's, to go with the decent/good O-Line, give Lance a one year deal (totally reset the Cap) and look to 2026 draft for a QB. The 10th year anniversary of drafting a Franchise QB in the 4th.
Sure, that’s a fair plan.

Problem is hit rate for a QB in the 1st
is around 20%…lower for someone as good as Dak and the only QB to win a Super Bowl drafted in the 1st since 2011 is Mahomes.

I think moving on and finding equal QB play is going to be waaaaaaaaaaaay harder than most fans realize.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
Where is he anticipated to go in the draft? I realize Colorado hasn’t been successful on the field, but isn’t he supposed to go fairly early?
Oh he will go early, but thats why I said, watch Jerry,,, he loves Prime-Time and may not be able to resist going all in on making Prime the HC and then go draft his son......might be costly for draft picks.....but Jerry can see were his bread is buttered.....

Prime Time and his son in Dallas...would make him a Fortune...I mean what has DAK done in the playoffs....what ya got to lose and its along shot but...but they have fixed the OL this year, they will get CD and Parsons extended...and DAK is the wild card....screw up and not sign DAK...he might choose to Tank this year....or if the Cowboys have a bad year....it would not surprise me one bit....to see Jerry go all in...again :rolleyes:.... I just would not put it past Jerry at this point...he is ticked off at the players who let him down last year....

Last edited:

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Sure, that’s a fair plan.

Problem is hit rate for a QB in the 1st
is around 20%…lower for someone as good as Dak and the only QB to win a Super Bowl drafted in the 1st since 2011 is Mahomes.

I think moving on and finding equal QB play is going to be waaaaaaaaaaaay harder than most fans realize.
Yep, that's why doing it the SF way, get the lines and roster fixed first and ease a lesser QB is going to be waaaaaaay easier.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
The thing is he never should have been drafted #1. Talk about a product of the Alabama system. He’s built like a slot receiver for goodness sake’s.

Carolina GM should be canned.
The Panthers should fire the owner. It is my understanding the owner put the hammer down and demanded they draft Young. Reich wanted Stroud and it turns out he was 100% right and he gets fired because the owner drafted a 5'10" QB that stinks.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Yep, that's why doing it the SF way, get the lines and roster fixed first and ease a lesser QB is going to be waaaaaaay easier.
Purdy is a complete anomaly…they are arguably the luckiest franchise in Sports for a 7th rounder being a pro bowl caliber player but they also have one of the best offensive minds in football and a much talented roster.

If we want to take the rookie QB contract approach that’s fine…but it doesn’t change how incredibly difficult it is to hit on the position.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Are you willing to pay Lance $38M if he's never started a game for you? He would sign that in a heartbeat and I don't blame him but there has to be a better way Joe. I am pretty sure his top priority in free agency will be finding a team that gives him the best chance to start. How about promising him a chance to compete for Dak's starting AND match his best offer on the open market?
You do the math, pay Dak $65M or Trey Lance as you suggest $38M. That's substantial savings and I doubt will be much of a drop in performance. Let Dak walk and stop paying his extortion money.