CowboysZone Movie Genre Tournament Feedback Thread (Winner Post 342)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Which one is @cowboyec , Master or Blaster? :muttley:

Also, Thunder Road was the most recent one, without Mel Gibson...(the 4th one)
Thunderdome, Thunder Road was Robert Mitchum about the sport of champions where I was raised, bootlegging.

Fury Road is the 4th one with Tom Hardy and (hubba hubba) Charlize Theron. They couldn't even make her ugly to me in that and they tried.

quickccc

Reaction score
Not a fan of genre brackets. It should be mixed, maybe according to which decades they were in, and lets see who really makes the final four. We are now forced to have a western at the end and I would pick 10 movies over any of them, including Tombstone :muttley:

Oh! And what the heck.....Aliens vs Jaws in round one???? :banghead:

Initially, that's what i was thinking too in regards to having competition within/bit past at least a decade of each other,.. not one in 60s vs another in the 90's ... advanced aged cinematography, special effects etc. makes it unfair advantage in some sense.

- also i don't get comparing a modern day action film like Die Hard to a Sci Fi iconic space movie such as Empire Strikes Back.
:rolleyes:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jeez, will I ever live this down?

In my defense, since I am not really a Sci Fi fan, the Horror/Sci Fi label is applied to differentiate between horror movies like Dracula, Wolfman, Halloween and the ones like Alien, Predator and Terminator.
Just messin' with ya Coach. :p

@quickccc , most of the blame for the Horror/Sci-Fi and Action/Adventure hybrid categories can be laid at my feet. the categories were posted for consideration in the previously posted next idea tournament thread. Movie Genre was the choice voted most by participating members in that thread, with both of the hybrid categories finishing in the top four of six.

It is my hope more members will participate in future tournament planning. I invite you to join in and help streamline the process in the threads to come as much as possible, so any overall misunderstanding is held at a minimum. :thumbup:

quickccc

Reaction score
The Horror/Sci-Fi regional is bugging the heck out of me! I am skipping it for a while longer so I can think more about the matchups. That regional feels to me like the Western regional probably feels to @cowboyec . :laugh:

Yeah. Yeah. It is all my fault for putting movies of the same genre or two different genres within the same region together. :rolleyes: I blame myself. And cowboyec. And @CouchCoach . :D

Can we mere peasants of posters bother to offer suggestions on possible Genres match ups ? ......:D

quickccc

Reaction score
Jeez, will I ever live this down?

In my defense, since I am not really a Sci Fi fan, the Horror/Sci Fi label is applied to differentiate between horror movies like Dracula, Wolfman, Halloween and the ones like Alien, Predator and Terminator.

in some senses i could see how Genre can add confusion with how it's applied to certain films..such as Aliens, is it a Sci Fi movie ..or a Horror movie. Yes it could technically be listed as Sci-Fi/Horror ... just as Shaun of the Dead, Dead Alive and Zombieland could be listed as Horror/Comedy or vice versa,.. i guest that's when it becomes a judgment call to what this and that has to be identified as such.

when you look at Aliens - what does it strike you more as; Sci Fi movie ...or a Horror movie ?
when you see Zombieland or Shaun of the Dead, what does those movies best strike you as ? Comedy or Horror ?

:huh:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can we mere peasants of posters bother to offer suggestions on possible Genres match ups ? ......:D
Sure but I would ask that they be made in the idea thread that will be posted after the current tournament ends. ALL ideas can then be referenced in the right place without someone's amnesia (namely mine) forgetting to include them in the ongoing discussion for the next tournament.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Thunderdome, Thunder Road was Robert Mitchum about the sport of champions where I was raised, bootlegging.

Fury Road is the 4th one with Tom Hardy and (hubba hubba) Charlize Theron. They couldn't even make her ugly to me in that and they tried.
That's right, Fury Road.....So when you put down Thunder Road you weren't talking about a Mad Max flick at all........Well now I feel stupid. Thanks a lot, CC!

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
when you look at Aliens - what does it strike you more as; Sci Fi movie ...or a Horror movie ?
when you see Zombieland or Shaun of the Dead, what does those movies best strike you as ? Comedy or Horror ?

:huh:
To your questions, Aliens strikes me as science fiction and not horror. Zombieland and Shawn of the Dead are comedy in my book. Both of the latter films are not psychologically frightening for me to consider then as horror.

Adding to the discussion (and possibly the next idea thread as well), personally I defer to a few 'consensus' movie info sites for clarifying what genre(s) films fall into. Take IMDB.com for instance. Here are the genres belonging to each of the movies you mentioned according to that site:

Aliens - Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi
Zombieland - Adventure, Comedy, Fantasy
Shaun of the Dead - Comedy, Horror

At this point, I tend to agree, disagree or become wishy-washy with the genre definitions of a movie site's membership or paid critics for a film. For the above, I agree Aliens falls under all three categories. Sci-Fi would be my choice if forced to chose one only. Sometimes I do get into self-arguments about Aliens being horror as well, along with wanting to put it in the Suspense and/or Thriller categories too.

Zombieland is ONLY a comedy in my mind. Sure, the group treks across America but their journey is not really an 'adventure' in my opinion. IMDB has a subjective interpretation of 'fantasy' as follows:

Should contain numerous consecutive scenes of characters portrayed to effect a magical and/or mystical narrative throughout the title. Usually has elements of magic, supernatural events, mythology, folklore, or exotic fantasy worlds.Note: not to be confused with Sci-Fi which is not usually based in magic or mysticism. - (link)

It is a concise enough definition but I do not totally agree with matching it with Zombieland.

I am 50/50 with Shaun of the Dead. Even so, I shave a few points (more than a few actually) from it being horror and slap in onto it being a comedy.

Just my two cents.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
To your questions, Aliens strikes me as science fiction and not horror. Zombieland and Shawn of the Dead are comedy in my book. Both of the latter films are not psychologically frightening for me to consider then as horror.

Adding to the discussion (and possibly the next idea thread as well), personally I defer to a few 'consensus' movie info sites for clarifying what genre(s) films fall into. Take IMDB.com for instance. Here are the genres belonging to each of the movies you mentioned according to that site:

At this point, I tend to agree, disagree or become wishy-washy with the genre definitions of a movie site's membership or paid critics for a film. For the above, I agree Aliens falls under all three categories. Sci-Fi would be my choice if forced to chose one only. Sometimes I do get into self-arguments about Aliens being horror as well, along with wanting to put it in the Suspense and/or Thriller categories too.

Zombieland is ONLY a comedy in my mind. Sure, the group treks across America but their journey is not really an 'adventure' in my opinion. IMDB has a subjective interpretation of 'fantasy' as follows:

Should contain numerous consecutive scenes of characters portrayed to effect a magical and/or mystical narrative throughout the title. Usually has elements of magic, supernatural events, mythology, folklore, or exotic fantasy worlds.Note: not to be confused with Sci-Fi which is not usually based in magic or mysticism. - (link)

It is a concise enough definition but I do not totally agree with matching it with Zombieland.

I am 50/50 with Shaun of the Dead. Even so, I shave a few points (more than a few actually) from it being horror and slap in onto it being a comedy.

Just my two cents.
I would contend that Avatar should be listed as fantasy, possibly sci-fi, and even action/adventure. Some of these movies are really hard to pin down.

quickccc

Reaction score

Just my two cents.

My 3 cents, ..i'd take on Aliens as a Sci Fi more so because when it's first seen, it brings space and extra terrestial CGI effect elements - it's aim first is space and the extra terrestial which makes it sci fi, imo ... yes, then slimy looks,effect, gore, and chase/fight suspense.

Terminator ? Sci fi or Horror ? Imo, it has to do with another time era, another time dimension, futuristic scientific weaponry ...this tens to spells sci -fi first .. horror next (blood gore,violence, chase/fight scenes)

Shaun of the Dead Zombieland ? Horror or Comedy ? ... this is tougher because it is a hilarious comedy filled zombie flick ?
Zombie is Horror.... but what is the impression it gives you most,... that it seems to be aimed at the most ?
is it aimed at Comedy ? ... or it is aimed at Horror ? sure it can be confined together but if we had one Genre to choose from ?

Just as " Vampire in Brooklyn " is a blood gory vampire movie but it is aimed at horror first, comedy second ?
Is it seen as a Comedy or Horror movie ?

" 8 Legged Freaks" ? Easier access. it has plenty of comedy elements but its aimed at Horror first.
" Scary movie " ? A Horror spoof that clearly aims at spoof comedy first

and BTW, mentioning of IMDB, it lists Avengers End Game ..as a Sci Fi ... WTH ?
i don't see a Superhero film being made to Sci Fi just because it has some space elements in " spots" and occasions"
Asgard is in space and a different dimension in space, but it' nor Guardians of the Galxy should be considered as a space Sci Fi movie.
It's aimed at the superhero genre, characters more than extra terrestial elements.

:D

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
My 3 cents, ..i'd take on Aliens as a Sci Fi more so because when it's first seen, it brings space and extra terrestial CGI effect elements - it's aim first is space and the extra terrestial which makes it sci fi, imo ... yes, then slimy looks,effect, gore, and chase/fight suspense.

Terminator ? Sci fi or Horror ? Imo, it has to do with another time era, another time dimension, futuristic scientific weaponry ...this tens to spells sci -fi first .. horror next (blood gore,violence, chase/fight scenes)

Shaun of the Dead Zombieland ? Horror or Comedy ? ... this is tougher because it is a hilarious comedy filled zombie flick ?
Zombie is Horror.... but what is the impression it gives you most,... that it seems to be aimed at the most ?
is it aimed at Comedy ? ... or it is aimed at Horror ? sure it can be confined together but if we had one Genre to choose from ?

Just as " Vampire in Brooklyn " is a blood gory vampire movie but it is aimed at horror first, comedy second ?

" 8 Legged Freaks" ? Easier access. it has plenty of comedy elements but its aimed at Horror first.

i don't see a Superhero film being made to Sci Fi just because it has some space elements in " spots" and occasions"
Asgard is in space and a different dimension in space, but it' nor Guardians of the Galxy should be considered as a space Sci Fi movie.
It's aimed at the superhero genre, characters more than extra terrestial elements.

Sorry, but I have to disagree where Aliens is concerned. That movie was scarier than any typical horror movie I've ever seen. Even The Exorcist makes me laugh, more than anything else. The Shining had some scary scenes, but nothing that made me jump. Wrong Turn, like almost all other inbred, cannibalistic family themes is scary, but more in a creepy way.

Aliens has the monsters that are intelligent, fast, big, and hard to kill, plus there are the face huggers which are creepy enough, without depositing eggs down your throat - eggs that become hatchlings that eat their way out of you!

Nah, Aliens is more horror than sci-fi, IMO.

quickccc

Reaction score
I would contend that Avatar should be listed as fantasy, possibly sci-fi, and even action/adventure. Some of these movies are really hard to pin down.

i would consider Avatar as Fantasy (mystical adventures) in the same sense as Lords of the Ring, the Hobbit, Malecificent, Pan's Labryith(sp)
Chronicles of Narnda, Fantastic Beasts., Snow White and the Hunstsmen, etc.

Not Sci Fi,.imo.

:cool:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As you probably recall, both your list and my list are the only two that nominated the (now) #2 BOX OFFICE MOVIE OF ALL-TIME! ALL-TIME! ALL-TIME! <echo> Our combined #16 and #4 nominations did not supply Avatar with enough points (46) to crack the top 32 for the tournament!

Just a little rant anger there. Overlook me. :p

Back to what you were saying. IMDB agrees with your contention that Avatar is action, adventure and fantasy but not science fiction. I side with your genres' opinion and question why IMDB would not label Avatar as science fiction also. IMDB's own subjective interpretation of the science fiction genre says:

Numerous scenes, and/or the entire background for the setting of the narrative, should be based on speculative scientific discoveries or developments, environmental changes, space travel, or life on other planets.

This is where I want to grab IMDB by the neck and shake for all dear life. The entire film is numerous sequences overflowing with imagined alien lifeforms, ON an alien planet, with a subplot based entirely on the scientific mechanisms and methodology of linking the human consciousness to pseudo non-human bodies.

Now, how the HECK is all that NOT science fiction? :huh::laugh:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I gots lots to answer but my longwindedness and remaining real work time are not jiving. I will reply later. :p

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
As you probably recall, both your list and my list are the only two that nominated the (now) #2 BOX OFFICE MOVIE OF ALL-TIME! ALL-TIME! ALL-TIME! <echo> Our combined #16 and #4 nominations did not supply Avatar with enough points (46) to crack the top 32 for the tournament!

Just a little rant anger there. Overlook me. :p

Back to what you were saying. IMDB agrees with your contention that Avatar is action, adventure and fantasy but not science fiction. I side with your genres' opinion and question why IMDB would not label Avatar as science fiction also. IMDB's own subjective interpretation of the science fiction genre says:

Numerous scenes, and/or the entire background for the setting of the narrative, should be based on speculative scientific discoveries or developments, environmental changes, space travel, or life on other planets.

This is where I want to grab IMDB by the neck and shake for all dear life. The entire film is numerous sequences overflowing with imagined alien lifeforms, ON an alien planet, with a subplot based entirely on the scientific mechanisms and methodology of linking the human consciousness to pseudo non-human bodies.

Now, how the HECK is all that NOT science fiction? :huh::laugh:
In fact, the only reason I classified it as fantasy is the mystical aspect of Eywa (assuming I spelled that right) and the hair bonding stuff.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Initially, that's what i was thinking too in regards to having competition within/bit past at least a decade of each other,.. not one in 60s vs another in the 90's ... advanced aged cinematography, special effects etc. makes it unfair advantage in some sense.

- also i don't get comparing a modern day action film like Die Hard to a Sci Fi iconic space movie such as Empire Strikes Back.
:rolleyes:

I meant four brackets, an 80’s, 90’s, 00’s and a 10’s. That way, one from each decade will be in the final four.

I do agree, it isn’t fair to match up an older film against a modern day one with better effects, etc.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

This may be solely my opinion but I think any movie dedicating a significant amount of dialogue on telling jokes is a comedy first and any relational genre second.
Maybe I am looking at another part of IMDB but it lists Avengers: Endgame as Action, Adventure, Drama for me. The the main Asgard films, IMDB genre definitions are:

Thor - Action, Adventure, Fantasy
Thor: The Dark World - Action, Adventure, Fantasy
Thor: Ragnarok - Action, Adventure, Comedy

I have zero argument with IMDB.The Thor character has always been magical based and the adaptations did that really well. NO argument with Ragnarok's label as comedy either. The main reason why the third installment soured on me was its transparent attempt to a different version of the humorous Guardians films. It tried too hard in my opinion. Ragnarok would have gotten a lower grade from me if not for Cate Blanchett's great job as Hela.

Speaking of the Guardians, IMDB satisfied me with its genre labels also:

Guardians of the Galaxy - Action, Adventure, Comedy
Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 2 - Action, Adventure, Comedy

Both are solid action and adventure but its trademark is the excellent comedic timing between the characters. Now a look at IMDB's sci-fi genre labels for some of the MCU movies:

Captain Marvel - Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi
Spider-Man: Far From Home - Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi
Avengers: Infinity War - Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi
Black Panther - Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi
Spider-Man: Homecoming - Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi
Captain America: Civil War - Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi
Avengers: Age of Ultron - Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi
Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi
Captain America: The First Avenger - Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi
Iron Man 3 - Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi
Iron Man 2 - Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi
Iron Man - Action, Adventure, Sci Fi
The Avengers - Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi
The Incredible Hulk - Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi

It could be argued IMB's definition of science fiction, "Numerous scenes, and/or the entire background for the setting of the narrative, should be based on speculative scientific discoveries or developments" can be applied fully to each of the above. Take any of those fourteen movies and each act making up those movies are populated with scenes of a scientific nature such as:

Tony Stark technology
SHIELD technology
Dr Erskine and/or Dr. Zola/Hydra technology
Wakanda technology
Dr Banner research and application
Kree and Skrull technology
Even including Vulture/Mysterio and henchmen technology

Science fiction permeates them all of these examples but is not inclusive of all superhero based movies. Doctor Strange is another example of primarily Action, Adventure, Fantasy genre. The DCEU has some of the same in Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Suicide Squad. Shazam (still on my personal boycott list) is primarily Action, Adventure, Comedy per IMDB. Joker is even farther outside those mentioned so far as Crime, Drama, Thriller. However, Man of Steel and Batman v Superman acts are heavily seeded with Kryptonian or Wayne technology scenes, so Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi defined movies are not absent from the DCEU either. Or I should say I think all of the movies labeled as Sci-Fi by IMDB can be legitimately described (at least partially) as science fiction films.

Status
Not open for further replies.