Crayton is a # 2 ??!!

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
MaineBoy;2166150 said:
(that might be more a statement than a question but....)

so Jerry is going to go the whole year with the same situation we had in the Giant's game last year; If TO is out or not 100 %, the opposition triple teams Witten and Romo is left with Crayton or rookies ? with Crayton having to be the #1 or #2 go-to guy ?

I sure hope Zach Thomas can play WR if TO goes down or we're in a whole lotta trouble.

P.S. Interesting tidbit - was just at the dealership waiting room and they had an old Sporting News from the week before the Giant game - their prediction was if TO healthy we win, if TO's ankle still bothering him, Gints win.

Did you worry and whine like this when the Cowboys had Irvin and then...nothing else that scared anyone as a #1 option?

People, please, for the love of all things Holy reconize a simple fact in pro football. VERY FEW teams have a #2 who is going to be a great #1 if they have to be.

That is very rare in this league.

DallasFanSince86

Pessimism Sucks
Reaction score
I was mad about Crayton's play in the playoffs, but I have gotten over it and moved on.

Crayton is a great player, and he will do great things for us this season.

Looking at the year we had with Crayon across from Owens, I don't understand how any one can be this upset with this lineup.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2166654 said:
Did you worry and whine like this when the Cowboys had Irvin and then...nothing else that scared anyone as a #1 option?

People, please, for the love of all things Holy reconize a simple fact in pro football. VERY FEW teams have a #2 who is going to be a great #1 if they have to be.

That is very rare in this league.

Unless you're Detroit with Roy Williams and Calvin Johnson. I heard Roy talking smack this morning on Sirius about them having the very best four-receiver combination in the entire league. Yeah, how's that working out for you Roy? BTW, nice TD total last year, loser.

Oh wait, Arizona too. That has proven to be a tremendous benefit for them. :LOL I swear, there is almost a negative correlation working here with two great receivers and actual team success.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
cowboys2233;2166668 said:
Unless you're Detroit with Roy Williams and Calvin Johnson. I heard Roy talking smack this morning on Sirius about them having the very best four-receiver combination in the entire league. Yeah, how's that working out for you Roy? BTW, nice TD total last year, loser.

Oh wait, Arizona too. That has proven to be a tremendous benefit for them. :LOL I swear, there is almost a negative correlation working here with two great receivers and actual team success.

Cincy with Johnson and TJ. They're both amazing but how has that translated into onfield success in the last 3 years? Not really well.

The only teams that have had a lot of really good WR's, and done anything, in the last few years has been Indy and New England and how'd that work out for New England in the Superbowl?

There is this old saying about quarterbacks, and I've heard it applied to recievers as well, that if you've got 2 #1 options you've got nothing.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
cowboys2233;2166668 said:

feel free to jump to either board and start your fandom.

detroit is an anomoly. you draft 4 #1's in 4 straight years you damn well better have 2 good WRs, huh? do you advocate that manner in which they got 2 WRs, about to lose 1, and what "opportunity costs" were lost along the way?

you picked two crappy teams to make a point of needing 2 "valid" wr's to win, didn't you?

cowboys2233

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2166694 said:
Cincy with Johnson and TJ. They're both amazing but how has that translated into onfield success in the last 3 years? Not really well.

The only teams that have had a lot of really good WR's, and done anything, in the last few years has been Indy and New England and how'd that work out for New England in the Superbowl?

There is this old saying about quarterbacks, and I've heard it applied to recievers as well, that if you've got 2 #1 options you've got nothing.

I think you'd find a much stronger relationship between team success and a strong offensive and defensive line. If those two units are top-notch, you can be pretty darn mediocre at a lot of other positions.

And I firmly believe we have the best offensive line in the NFC and one of the top two or three defensive lines in the NFL, depth-wise and talent wise. And guess what? We're not mediocre at any other position either, even though we could be and still have a great deal of success.

As Irvin said on ESPN yesterday, this team is like an all-star team. We're going to mess some opponents up this year. Dominant offensive line, dominant and deep defensive line, great pass rushers in Ware, Ellis and Spencer, a shut-down secondary, no Julius Jones, MBIII and Felix, and Romo in his second year with the same offensive coordinator, who had one of the best passing seasons of all time in his first year with the offensive coordinator. Oh, and a guy named Owens.

Are you friggin' kidding me with this team? :bow:

cowboys2233

Reaction score
iceberg;2166700 said:

detroit is an anomoly. you draft 4 #1's in 4 straight years you damn well better have 2 good WRs, huh? do you advocate that manner in which they got 2 WRs, about to lose 1, and what "opportunity costs" were lost along the way?

you picked two crappy teams to make a point of needing 2 "valid" wr's to win, didn't you?

Huh, that's strange. Because I also pointed out Arizona, and BraveHeartFan rightly pointed out Cinci. Tell me, how many teams does one have to point out before it's not an anomoly...

...and you start looking like an ignorant tool?

cowboys2233

Reaction score
iceberg;2166700 said:

Oh Jumpin' Jesus, I actually re-read your post and you thought when I said a negative correlation "here," you thought I was actually dissing the Cowboys? Jesus Moses -- how about reading the rest of my posts in this thread and recognize I was supporting the theory that you don't need two top-notch receivers? By "here," I meant my post, not this team.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
As long as we have T.O. and Witten ...... Crayton is fine as the number 2 guy.

If either is injured or cannot play ..... we need more.

Thats just my personal opinion ..... I would love to have a more talented guy as number 2, but Crayton proved last year he can get the job done as long as the focus is not on him.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
MaineBoy;2166150 said:
(that might be more a statement than a question but....)

so Jerry is going to go the whole year with the same situation we had in the Giant's game last year; If TO is out or not 100 %, the opposition triple teams Witten and Romo is left with Crayton or rookies ? with Crayton having to be the #1 or #2 go-to guy ?

I sure hope Zach Thomas can play WR if TO goes down or we're in a whole lotta trouble.

P.S. Interesting tidbit - was just at the dealership waiting room and they had an old Sporting News from the week before the Giant game - their prediction was if TO healthy we win, if TO's ankle still bothering him, Gints win.

I notice you didn't say "all last year"?!? very interesting....

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
cowboys2233;2166777 said:
Oh Jumpin' Jesus, I actually re-read your post and you thought when I said a negative correlation "here," you thought I was actually dissing the Cowboys? Jesus Moses -- how about reading the rest of my posts in this thread and recognize I was supporting the theory that you don't need two top-notch receivers? By "here," I meant my post, not this team.

how about diving into a meat locker and chilling out. the last thing i'm here to do today is wait for you to post and reply to little old me with your infinate wisdom.

and learn to count. i said you pointed to TWO crappy teams. since you mentioned detroit and arizona, many people past jethro math know i was talking about THOSE TWO teams. who needs to read what again before lobbing around stupidity?

yes we could do better at WR but all the nancy girls wringing their hands at the dismay and loss at the 2nd superstar have YET to come up with a valid plan on how to address it or how it SHOULD have been handled.

whiners are a dime a dozen and i see you've got a lot to sell.

continue on. and please, don't wait for me to reply. i'm just not that important.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
zrinkill;2166791 said:
As long as we have T.O. and Witten ...... Crayton is fine as the number 2 guy.

If either is injured or cannot play ..... we need more.

Thats just my personal opinion ..... I would love to have a more talented guy as number 2, but Crayton proved last year he can get the job done as long as the focus is not on him.

we all would. one was not to be had. people act like it was a fixable problem and jones just blew by it. yet, when asked what they'd have done the most i've gotten so far is "i'd have addressed it!!!"

really? wow. and they're not in the NFL front offices?

cowboys2233

Reaction score
RW Hitman;2166796 said:
I notice you didn't say "all last year"?!? very interesting....

I know, he must have missed those first 76 points we put up on them. :laugh2:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2166431 said:
I don't really have a problem with your original response with concerns regarding the WR position. But your response to Cobra's equating all of it to the lack of playoff success is weak to me. Two very different reasons were why the team hasn't won in the past two years and very little of it has to do with the receiving corp. 2006 the team lost because of bobbled snap. 2007 wasn't solely because of the receiver's ability to catch.

I disagree. There was quite a few reasons why the team lost and suggesting that it was all on the receivers is failing to look at the whole picture. Did they come up small at critical times? Yes. Were they the ONLY factor? No.

Not suggesting he was solely to blame. I provided an example. But his defense just before the half was definitely a contributing factor.

I agree the offense had its chances, but is it solely on the WR corps? Nope. The running game produced in the first half and went bye bye in the 2nd half. Not putting that all on Barber, but Garrett's lack of committment to the run was huge to me.

They and OTHERS didn't make plays and that's where you and I disagree.

The point I'm making is that the receiving corps was just fine in the regular season, breaking all kinds of Cowboys passing records. How does a few drops by normally reliable receivers suggest that they weren't good enough?

I can agree that WR position has the most questions, but I don't agree that WR will be the reason this team fails in the postseason.

You are, of course, intitled to your opinion. I have to say, however, that I do not share it. The running game did not disappear in the second half. It was limited because of the defense played against it and even then, Barber averaged 3.42 yards per carry in the 3rd quarter on 7 rushes. In the 4th quarter, he only had 4 carries for 4 yards against a stacked run defense and of those 4 carries, 3 or them were on first down when the Giants were run blitzing. I don't think the running game disappeared. I think the running game did exactly what it was supposed to do, which is make the defense commit to stopping the run and giving the passing game a chance for one on one coverage. That's exactly what we had in the second half. We just couldn't make a catch.

There may have been lots of reasons for losing but that does not change the fact that one catch would have iced the game.

The reasons for losing may have been different in years past but at the end of the day, they are still first round plane tickets home. Championships are what count so what difference does it make if we are 13-3 going home in the first round or 5-11 not going to the playoffs? It's about championships. To say that we are fine because we were 13-3 is just not relative to the central issue IMO. Those who say that we don't need any WRs because we were 13-3 are not seeing the complete picture IMO. If you wish to view that as weak, that is your affair. None the less, 13-3 is not relative to the central issue of our WR depth. No amount of "Weak" is going to change that.

If we say that it was a 3rd CB that cost us the game or contributed greatly to that lose, OK, I can go ahead live with that, to an extent. I would throw in penalties as well but again, one catch and that game is over. Our defense gave up 7 points in the second half. Our offense scored only 3. Hard for me to place a lot of blame on the defense, at all, when I look at those numbers.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
iceberg;2166797 said:
how about diving into a meat locker and chilling out. the last thing i'm here to do today is wait for you to post and reply to little old me with your infinate wisdom.

and learn to count. i said you pointed to TWO crappy teams. since you mentioned detroit and arizona, many people past jethro math know i was talking about THOSE TWO teams. who needs to read what again before lobbing around stupidity?

Uh yeah, I know. You said Detroit was an anomaly and then pointed out I had mentioned two teams, contradicting yourself in the very same post. I was trying to give you the benefit and simply ignore that small point.

And learn how to read, as I mentioned, anyone with the intelligence of a slug would see that I was supporting the receivers we currently have. I went back and re-read my post and it boggles my mind how you could draw the initial conclusion you did. You are so worked up, you're just looking for any reason to flame me, even if it is totally nonsensical.

Speaking of chilling out, I was talking football and you jump into the middle like some little child and throwing your little tantrum....again. What is your obsession with me?

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
i don't think anyone said we were fine because we were 13-3 i think the point is we did ok with our same WRs last year. the lingering hope of glenn kept the doomies at bay. with him gone they're out in force and it's like God himself came down and handed them something to get all upset about.

if WR depth is the problem, i'll ask you - how would you have resolved it this off-season?

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
iceberg;2166700 said:

cowboys2233;2166808 said:
Uh yeah, I know. You said Detroit was an anomaly and then pointed out I had mentioned two teams, contradicting yourself in the very same post. I was trying to give you the benefit and simply ignore that small point.

i stopped reading here. go be stupid elsewhere. my ignore list just grew cause of your inane desire to redefine stupidity.

utrunner07

Reaction score
iceberg;2166813 said:
i stopped reading here. go be stupid elsewhere. my ignore list just grew cause of your inane desire to redefine stupidity.

:laugh2:The first causality of the young season.