Creativity not brawn the key to our future offensive success

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Both. Just physical brawn is not enough by itself, but you'd better have it to scheme around.
Yes. The ability to block and tackle is the heart of winning football games. If you can block and tackle well and add some creativity and flexibility to it, you have the chance to be a complete football team.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Yet they lost with all that innovation. Still 1 of 31 teams without the prize...lol

They lost in the Superbowl. So what? At least they made it. To see that as not being an accomplishment is being blind.

When was the last time that Garrett or Dallas has ever sniffed the Superbowl in the last few years?

Mcvay's innovation got them to the big dance in 3 years. They are a young team and could possibly make it back next year.

I'd take Mcvay over Garrett any day of the week. In fact, I don't know why you would defend Garrett. He's been removed of call playing duties and might not be coaching the Cowboys after next year. So innovation trumps o er stubborn coaching any day of the week.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Good coaching takes the talent, employs their strengths, and puts them in the best position to succeed, that gets lost with the Cowboys
You ever watch Oblivion? Not the Tom Cruise one.
The one with George Takei?
I just love that guy. I'd write a character for him any day.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Between 1992-95, the Dallas Cowboys offensive talent was so dominant, the prevailing belief was that opponents could be in our huddle and it wouldn’t matter. The Cowboys offense was capable of physically whipping opponents into submission. That was the identity and the practice of those 90s teams, and it worked to the tune of 3 Lombardis in 4 years.

Now, nearly a quarter century later, NFL teams’ ability to physically dominate opponents is almost non-existent. In the “parity” and salary cap era of today, even the currently dominant patriots are not capable of just pinning their ears back and whipping their opponents. Today’s best offenses are creatively using deception and a variety of looks to win in the playoffs.

We must all hope Jason Garrett has received that memo.

Because Garrett has both shown with his offensive philosophy, play calling and public comments that this team tries in philosophy to be more like the ‘92 Cowboys than a 2019 NFL offense that is built to win in today’s NFL playoffs.

Slogans like “Finish the fight” look good on a t-shirt, but having an overly simplistic playbook centered on a power running game alone frankly just won’t get it done. We have 8 seasons of evidence that prove it. Surely this organization understands this right?

I’m not saying we shouldn’t have a great running game highlighting one of the best RBs in the NFL. I’m not saying we need to sling it around all day, throwing 50 passes. But I am saying that if this team intends to get past the divisional round of the playoffs, some creativity with this highly predictable offense is sorely needed.

Does Kellen Moore have-
1. The green light from Garrett to add some new formations and plays to jazz this up?
2. The ability after only one year of NFL coaching to jumpstart an offense lacking a lot of scoring punch?

In 2019- Will we see a more creative offense or will we just see more of the same Garrett offense just with a guy who looks about 15 calling the same plays?

Which will it be?

Makes me scratch my head and wonder, in Brawn V Brains, who wins? I haven't got the brain to figure that one out. Hummer V Benz? Ram V Audii? Anybody got a tow rope :muttley:

Dre11

Reaction score
They lost in the Superbowl. So what? At least they made it. To see that as not being an accomplishment is being blind.

When was the last time that Garrett or Dallas has ever sniffed the Superbowl in the last few years?

Mcvay's innovation got them to the big dance in 3 years. They are a young team and could possibly make it back next year.

I'd take Mcvay over Garrett any day of the week. In fact, I don't know why you would defend Garrett. He's been removed of call playing duties and might not be coaching the Cowboys after next year. So innovation trumps o er stubborn coaching any day of the week.

They got there, and shouldn't have , then lost terribly. But yeah they got there....lol

kskboys

Reaction score
I thought to refute you by looking at NEs oline.

Holy cow. Their tackles are Trent Brown 360 and Marcus Cannon 335.
Beef.

One of the things about bigger and stronger is that it may not show up for much of the year. Maybe you're not the most motivated guy. But come the playoffs, or the SB, you're probably going to find that motivation and do more damage than those RKGs who diligently work it all year.
It's more than that, Buybuy. Guys that are hard to move are easy to implement schemes around using other players.

And don't forget to look at the D side of the ball, Shelton and Brown both top 320.

Number1

Reaction score
Curious to see how this year plays out. I think Garrett is in a tough situation.
—If Kellen succeeds, will Garrett any receive credit?
—If Kellen struggles, will Garrett get canned?

I think Garrett has to let Kellen open it up, and see what he can do, for his own survival.

they already opened it up, just didn't have the horse power to finish

coaching is largely overrated ... for example, I see no reason to think this O won't be as good in the first half of 2019 as they were in the 2nd half 2018 or give this O a real LG and they'll literally beat up most teams ... will that make JG or KM great coaches.

the credit should always go to the guys in the pit - I honestly believe if Frederick or Irving had been on the field in the playoffs we'd have win it all

Blackrain

Reaction score
they already opened it up, just didn't have the horse power to finish

coaching is largely overrated ... for example, I see no reason to think this O won't be as good in the first half of 2019 as they were in the 2nd half 2018 or give this O a real LG and they'll literally beat up most teams ... will that make JG or KM great coaches.

the credit should always go to the guys in the pit - I honestly believe if Frederick or Irving had been on the field in the playoffs we'd have win it all

Got to disagree . Coaching wins you the SB that's why NE has won so many . Talent gets you to the playoffs like you said we beat up MOST teams but the best teams are in the playoffs and are much better coached than most teams

These teams are able to coach there players to exploit weaknesses on every different team they play not run the same tired scheme against every team they play and hope our talent trumps there's .

Team specific game planning along with great talent and smart players is what is needed to get to and win SBs . Great coaching and ultra smart players beat talented poorly coached players with average football intelligence. NE has just proven it too many times . Like was said earlier the Rams out coached us then were schooled by the masters .

We are 3 players away talent wise and a mile away in coaching to get to a SB I hoping Moore shortens that distance because Garrett has proven he can not .

Prime21

Reaction score
The key to our future offensive success is the following,

1. Dak building chemistry with Cooper and Gallup
2. Getting TFred back
3. Connor Williams gets a much needed off season in NFL strength program
4. Addressing TE in FA or draft round 2 or 3

That is the crux of it and the top 3 are given. Zeke is who is. We do need to do something with WR depth but they will not be core players and do not need to be.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Don't really care, as long as they score points with each offensive possession at a higher rate than most teams, which they generally have. Last year they dipped, but they came up a bit with the addition of Cooper, and they'll come up again a bit more if they address their red zone issues.
That is all it comes down to.

NFL ranks
yards per drive
2016 5th
2017 10th
2018 games 1-7 22nd
2018 games 8-18 7th

TD per drive
2016 4th
2017 6th
2018 games 1-7 24th
2018 games 8-18 10th

3rd down conversion %, pass
2016 11th
2017 13th
2018 games 1-7 32nd
2018 games 8-18 9th

Red Zone TD%
2016 66.1
2018 54.5

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Got to disagree . Coaching wins you the SB that's why NE has won so many . Talent gets you to the playoffs like you said we beat up MOST teams but the best teams are in the playoffs and are much better coached than most teams

These teams are able to coach there players to exploit weaknesses on every different team they play not run the same tired scheme against every team they play and hope our talent trumps there's .

Team specific game planning along with great talent and smart players is what is needed to get to and win SBs . Great coaching and ultra smart players beat talented poorly coached players with average football intelligence. NE has just proven it too many times . Like was said earlier the Rams out coached us then were schooled by the masters .

We are 3 players away talent wise and a mile away in coaching to get to a SB I hoping Moore shortens that distance because Garrett has proven he can not .

I agree, the talent level team to team isn't huge, in MOST cases, that's just by the nature of having thousands of college players and only a few hundred starting players, this isn't the 60's and 70's where you could have as much quality depth as you wanted, if you wanted to fork out the money. Now you just can't pay for all top players, the cap won't allow it, though with creative contracts you can improve that. So the talent is spread out pretty evenly, which means coaching is very important. Though that sort of makes you wonder how you can have a Hue Jackson go 1-31 for two seasons, with a modicum of talent surely even with just dumb luck you'd think he could win 4-5-6 games a season...

75boyz

Reaction score

Really insightful post on coaching importance. Nice post.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
QUOTE: they'll come up again a bit more if they address their red zone issues.QUOTE

Hopefully Moore can help, excuse me WILL help with that, too...

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

2. Getting TFred back

That is the crux of it and the top 3 are given. Zeke is who is. We do need to do something with WR depth but they will not be core players and do not need to be.
I don’t disagree with your points. But can’t we also agree that coaching plays a very big role in the performance of any NFL team? All 4 of your points can happen causing an improvement in talent, but talent alone does not translate to winning in this league.

The NFL is not just a collection of great athletes and the team with the best talent does not always win. The pats are a great example of what I mean. They rarely have the most talent although they certainly have talent at some key positions. But what they consistently have over other NFL teams is outstanding coaching. And it’s not just Belichick. Their assistant coaches like OC Josh McDaniel are outstanding. And the pats lose asst. coaches almost every year as they often get HC jobs.

Talent is a huge ingredient to winning. But talent alone isn’t enough. Good coaching is usually the difference maker. If we’re going to improve in the playoffs, the coaching MUST also improve.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Between 1992-95, the Dallas Cowboys offensive talent was so dominant, the prevailing belief was that opponents could be in our huddle and it wouldn’t matter. The Cowboys offense was capable of physically whipping opponents into submission. That was the identity and the practice of those 90s teams, and it worked to the tune of 3 Lombardis in 4 years.

Now, nearly a quarter century later, NFL teams’ ability to physically dominate opponents is almost non-existent. In the “parity” and salary cap era of today, even the currently dominant patriots are not capable of just pinning their ears back and whipping their opponents. Today’s best offenses are creatively using deception and a variety of looks to win in the playoffs.

We must all hope Jason Garrett has received that memo.

Because Garrett has both shown with his offensive philosophy, play calling and public comments that this team tries in philosophy to be more like the ‘92 Cowboys than a 2019 NFL offense that is built to win in today’s NFL playoffs.

Slogans like “Finish the fight” look good on a t-shirt, but having an overly simplistic playbook centered on a power running game alone frankly just won’t get it done. We have 8 seasons of evidence that prove it. Surely this organization understands this right?

I’m not saying we shouldn’t have a great running game highlighting one of the best RBs in the NFL. I’m not saying we need to sling it around all day, throwing 50 passes. But I am saying that if this team intends to get past the divisional round of the playoffs, some creativity with this highly predictable offense is sorely needed.

Does Kellen Moore have-
1. The green light from Garrett to add some new formations and plays to jazz this up?
2. The ability after only one year of NFL coaching to jumpstart an offense lacking a lot of scoring punch?

In 2019- Will we see a more creative offense or will we just see more of the same Garrett offense just with a guy who looks about 15 calling the same plays?

Which will it be?

It is amazing to me that we are going into YR 10 of the Jason Garrett era. It seems every year some part of the Cowboys struggles - Offense, Defense, STs. Always an excuse and a promise to fix that issue only to have another phase impacted. Garrett was sold as a superb offensive mind yet the last few years have been a disaster on offense as they continue to run the same playbook they did 10 years ago, Now stubborn is a term that we hear associated with the Cowboys more and more. The whole thing should be simplified - the guy can't coach. Now we are relying on a 30 year old first time OC to fix this offense with the failed guru still roaming the sidelines. Again, Jerry defends his HC yesterday. It is truly remarkable.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Personally, I would love to see brawn upfront but with the creativity from the coaches mixed in. That way, the creativity keeps the defense off guard, builds a lead, and at some point in the second half, the brawn takes over and allows you to chew up yards and clock at will.

Whyjerry

Reaction score

2. Getting TFred back

Play calling matters. 1st and goal on the 4 and they line up in spread formation, Zeke doesn't touch the ball once, then the FG. I can't remember the number of times I have yelled at the TV saying just give Zeke the ball 4 times. Zeke carried the ball 22 times inside the opponents 10 yard line this season. 22 times!!! Think about how stupid that is for a team "built to run the ball."

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is amazing to me that we are going into YR 10 of the Jason Garrett era. It seems every year some part of the Cowboys struggles - Offense, Defense, STs. Always an excuse and a promise to fix that issue only to have another phase impacted. Garrett was sold as a superb offensive mind yet the last few years have been a disaster on offense as they continue to run the same playbook they did 10 years ago, Now stubborn is a term that we hear associated with the Cowboys more and more. The whole thing should be simplified - the guy can't coach. Now we are relying on a 30 year old first time OC to fix this offense with the failed guru still roaming the sidelines. Again, Jerry defends his HC yesterday. It is truly remarkable.
Garrett’s biggest weakness IMO, is his seeming inability to adapt to changing circumstances, whether in game, in season or even year to year.

When JG started as our OC back in 07 under Wade and with Romo, he had some success. But as the league has evolved over the last 12 years, Garrett has not changed much. The NFL and most other pro sports leagues are constantly evolving.

Look at the NBA. It used to be that having giant 7 foot big men like Shaq who could “post up” were the cornerstone to success. Now it’s having hybrid players like LeBron who are big but can also shoot the 3 and handle the ball that are dominant.

All sports change and evolve. Garrett doesn’t seem to evolve unless he’s forced to.